Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How I came to respect the mighty 58!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
How I came to respect the mighty 58!
on: May 25, 2018, 05:12:19 PM
It's my wife's fault, really. My addiction to the little 58mm classic was all my wife's doing.

Many years ago, when we were both a good deal younger, Karen was working as a receptionist at a law firm. This law firm was in the habit of dolling out little gifts for it's clients, like Cross pen sets, mag light flashlights with their corporate logo on them. One day Karen comes home with a little red pocket knife dangling from her keyring, saying "Look what we're giving out now."

It was a imitation SAK from a large asian nation known for knock offs. Terrible quality, the little scissors would fold the paper between them, the blade was butter knife dull. I went out the next day and bought her a new Victorinox classic to show her the difference. It was so glaringly obvious, Karen had me go to the office and show her boss, Dave. Dave takes one look and tells Karen to box up all the knock off SAK's and ship them back. He then orders the real deal with their logo on them.

Here's the beginning of the tale; I always thought the little classic was a kind of joke. The SAK for people who don't really need a knife but a talisman good for a hangnail once in a while. The joke was on me. For the next few months I watched Karen very carefully as she used and abused the little SAK to the point I really expected to hear a 'ting" and pieces falling to the floor. She cut, she scraped, she screwed, she pried, she plucked. I'd watch cringing, but nothing happened other than she got the job done whatever the job of the moment was. When she was in the shower I'd sneak over and go though her purse to check the classic and other than a loose blade or nail file nothing was out of the ordinary.

I couldn't stand it. I went to the big box store and bought a brand new classic for all of 7 dollars, what they were going for back then, and dropped it in the coin pocket of my jeans. For the next few months I made my own challenge test of using just the classic as a first choice to see how far I could push it. I still had my tinker or SI in my pocket, but I'd make an effort to use the classic first to see if I could make do.

I did. Make do that is. Opening boxes of parts in the machine shop where I worked, opening packages, cutting twine for the tomato plants, Once I found out the SD tip fit most of the small Phillips screws that hold universe together I used the thing for repairs. When Karen told me the latch on the clothes drier door broke, I went down and checked it out. The door was a sheet metal clamshell held together with two small Phillips screws on each side. Using the classic, I took out the screws, pried open the two halves, took out the snap in latch and once I got the parts from a local appliance parts place, snapped the new one in. Had no trouble putting the drier door back together using the SD tip of the classic.

Slowly, over the course of a few months, I grew a grudging respect for the tiny tool. It had fooled me. I thought such a tiny tool was a joke, but the joke was really on me as I grossly under estimated what could be done with a small but effective tool. The classic earned a place on my keyring, and ultimately I made a leather pouch sheath for it to protect it from banging keys and to make it easier to use by it self.

I was already a fan of small knives like the peanut pattern. The era I grew up in the small pocket knife was what people carried. The so called tactical thing was a long way in the future. For a long time the classic and my Remington/Camillus peanut shared pocket knife duty. But little by little I found myself leaving the Remington home and just having the classic. If I needed more knife, my tinker or SI would do. As I trimmed down to just owning SAK's the "other" knives ver got given away, and only the SAK's remained. It mattered little as to if I carried my tinker, or recruit, or SI, but no matter what was in my pocket the classic was on my keyring and got used every day. Now it's my SI and classic.

And it all started with my wife coming home with a knock off from work.

My old peanut and classic;

Unfortunately like most knives, the old peanut was a once trick pony, eclipsed by the multirole classic.

With the classic as my urban/suburban knife, if I need more knife for fishing and camping, Just put my old Buck 102 woodsman on my belt. That takes care of the heavier dirty work.

If I have any of the "Hard use" the tactical goons talk about, then I use the tool that's made for "hard use", the old Stanley utility knife or box cutter. A 6.99 Utility knife will outwork any 80 dollar one hand wonder knife. The classic cleans my nails when I'm done with the drywall or plumbing work.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:24:35 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How I came to respect the mighty 58!
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 06:35:28 PM
I sure did enjoy reading your 58mm journey!  :cheers:
I'm doing a 91mm challenge with the Camper right now, but when that's done, I know I will have a 58mm with me.
I'm quite fond of the Vagabond with its combo Phillips/bottle opener, plus the clamshell opening tool that some folks call an orange peeler.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 06:56:14 PM
I guess I should try a Vagabond at some point.  :think:

Like Carl, I thought the Classic was a 'toy' for people who didn't really use a knife. However, I always seemed to have one around. Often on a key chain, but more usually, just dropped into a pocket with spare change. When I was in a dress uniform, a bulky pocket knife was out of the question, but a Classic disappears into a pocket to the extent that not even a drill sergeant would notice it.

And I'd always have scissors handy.

It was the scissors that won me over to the 58's. I might be carrying a 3" folder, but it was actually the Classic I was pulling out and using. So then I started making sure I always kept a 58mm with me.

Later I found the 74mm's, and sort of prefer them, but I have more Classics and one is almost always finding it's way into my pocket or fishing vest or FAK or....you get the picture.

Hey, let me check my pockets right now......

Sure enough:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 09:37:00 PM
I know that blue Classic from somewhere...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:06:49 PM
It's a Classic!  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:12:45 PM
The mighty 58mm is the undisputed champion of pocket knives IMO.  Lots of really useful features packed into such a tidy package.  I was a huge fan of the Minichamp early on.  I was ready to slim down my Minichamp and stumbled upon the Manager.  I've carried it since day one.  Its got everything I could need and it surprised the heck out of me when pushed well past its humble size.  I still have a Minichanmp kicking about and a few Classics as well.  Its a wonderful balance between, how much knife I need and want.   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 01:18:34 AM
Great story, I'm new to the Classic, I bought one to pair with my Camper for the scissors and I can't praise it enough, I'm not using it during the Camper challenge but I miss it :salute:

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 01:34:11 AM
Great story  :2tu:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 06:09:03 AM
I enjoyed the OP, thanks! I love the 58s.  :tu:  I have a Rambler on the keyring (I like the Phillips sd and how both blade and scissors open away from the keys) and a bunch of Classics scattered about. I bought a nice yellow one the other day that's easier to find amongst the crap on my desk. They make great gifts.

I can't see one being my only knife, except at an extreme pinch - which is why I too have lately have been also carrying a Soldier. ;) It's become an indispensable tool for my work, particularly. Thanks for the inspiration, Carl! :salute:
Rambler

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 09:08:18 AM
That's a great read. For a long time I overlooked the Classic and thought "Really? No, surely not" but my girlfriend got me a LE 58mm a while back and from that point on I got it. For the most part I work in an office so carrying a 91mm isn't necessary and bulky layers in a suit pocket doesn't make sense. But a Classic. Well that's a no brainer everyday and it's done everything I've asked of it. I'd tend to agree with Nix on 74mm but in reality my Executive or Ambassador stay home. I'll always rotate a Classic. It's a winner :salute:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 10:05:25 AM
An excellent read as always my friend.  :salute:

I've been a 58mm convert for many years now and, for me, the Rambler is King.  As Sawl mentions above I'm a fan of the fact the scissors and blade open away from the keyring I carry it on.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 03:18:38 PM

I've been a 58mm convert for many years now and, for me, the Rambler is King.  As Sawl mentions above I'm a fan of the fact the scissors and blade open away from the keyring I carry it on.

That's why I made the leather sheath to carry my classic on my keyring. Not only saves it from getting beat up by keys, and drifting around loose in a pocket, but to you just pull it out of the sheath to use it not attached to anything. Best of both worlds. I keep the ring on it to use as a pull tab to unsheath it.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 04:06:32 PM
Nice tale cbl51! :like: :tu: :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 05:27:56 PM

That's why I made the leather sheath to carry my classic on my keyring. Not only saves it from getting beat up by keys, and drifting around loose in a pocket, but to you just pull it out of the sheath to use it not attached to anything. Best of both worlds. I keep the ring on it to use as a pull tab to unsheath it.

I really should make up something similar myself.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 05:49:01 PM

I really should make up something similar myself.  :tu:

YES!!!

I was surprised at how much it drastically changed the whole dynamics of the thing. Having it attached to your keys, but not having it "attached" tot he keys made it much more accessible at a moments notice yet much more convenient by not having to disconnect anything like a quick release hook or whatever.

When any of the 58's are equipped with a keyring sheath, it becomes soooo much more useful. Almost as good as Luke learning to use the force! :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%