Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Manly Wasp. Opinions.

Dean51 · 38 · 2443

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Manly Wasp. Opinions.
on: May 27, 2018, 02:08:15 AM
A different kind of slip joint, that should be legal in most places. It has an unusual 4 position opening. There is a 1/4 stop, then a 1/2 stop and a 3/4 stop before the open position. Fairly strong but closed to 1/4 stop is easier. I have the big brother to it, the Comrade. It's a very strong knife that push cuts phone books right out of the box.

Technical Specs:
Overall Length 6.05" (165mm)
Blade Thickness 0.110" (2.8mm)
Edge Thickness 0.012" (0.3mm)
Blade Length 2.8" (70mm)
Steel CPM S90V
Sharpening Angle 15deg
Weight 2.95oz (83g)
Handle 3D-Milled G-10
Handle Color Black
Origin Bulgaria

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Manly Wasp. Opinions.
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 04:48:11 AM
Nic elooking knife. Does it use a dedent system on the stops or some thing else.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

hr Offline styx

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 10:15:29 AM
it's a looked for sure. wasn't even aware of it or the company. now I gotta check 'em out
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 11:37:00 AM
Nic elooking knife. Does it use a dedent system on the stops or some thing else.
It uses a back spring, like a slipjoint.
It's not a fancy or whip out and deploy tactical but seems like an excellent EDC. Good steel for the money.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 01:41:17 PM
I saw those a few weeks ago and thought they looked interesting - I like the ergonomics, including when closed. There's quite a few videos reviews about - I think it was pretty much all good.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 02:12:00 PM
Are these best ordered straight from the maker's website?  I don't see them on Amazon or eBay.    :drool:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 02:18:47 PM
Are these best ordered straight from the maker's website?  I don't see them on Amazon or eBay.    :drool:

I'm pretty sure there was a few UK stockists, so I imagine, there must be a few US ones.  :think:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 02:22:33 PM
It also appears that these were only recently released for international sales, so perhaps they have not fully populated U.S. outlets.  I'm ordering one in orange off the website.

http://knifenews.com/manly-preps-new-wasp-slipjoint-for-international-release/

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 02:52:28 PM

They have a US outlet.

http://www.manlyusa.com/product/manly-wasp-black-cpm-s90v

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 03:19:44 PM
Nice looking knife ! :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 03:24:22 PM
I like it both opened and closed, thanks for posting pics of both. Certainly looks like more than adequate edc.  :salute:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 10:45:37 PM
They have a US outlet.

http://www.manlyusa.com/product/manly-wasp-black-cpm-s90v

Yeah, that's the site I where I ordered.  Maybe these knives will be popping up on other outlets in the weeks and months ahead.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 11:24:17 PM
That's a looker for sure.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 11:30:23 PM
Looks a lot like a traditional Sodbuster, but with modern materials (and a really interesting opening mechanism).   The price seems decent for what you get.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 02:28:40 AM
It does have a bit of a sod buster look to it, maybe with a bit more of a lets cut stuff look.  :D

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 03:24:21 AM
It does have a bit of a sod buster look to it, maybe with a bit more of a lets cut stuff look.  :D
Agreed +10
Nice but I know little about s90v, suspecting it to hardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 04:19:04 AM
Agreed +10
Nice but I know little about s90v, suspecting it to hardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's an excellent cutter but not a chopper.
Enough chrome to be stainless.
CPM powered metal will let it take a keen edge.
High Carbide, high Vanadium so it has excellent wear resistance.
Diamonds are needed to sharpen. 800 to 1200 grit for a good working edge.
You might think it will loose its shaving edge to quick but will keep cutting aka working edge for a very long time.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 01:44:39 PM
I've only heard good things about Manly,
mostly about their Comrade and Patriot models  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 06:42:58 PM
And its nice to have "Manly" emblazened on your pocket, just any case any of the chicks were wondering.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 06:53:02 PM
And its nice to have "Manly" emblazened on your pocket, just any case any of the chicks were wondering.
Or belt carry in a Buck sheath and you would be The Manly Buck.
 :whistle:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 07:00:41 PM

... of course it could also look like you're overcompensating for something... Just saying...  :whistle:

... I normally carry a spyderco ladybug...

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 07:27:17 PM
I like it. The price for the steel is also very impressive when you're paying over $100 for 1095 elsewhere for a slipjoint (cough GEC cough)  :D Is the nail nick massive or am I getting the proportions wrong? For an almost 3" blade it seems troll sized. Not a complaint just an observation. Bit wary of the 15 degree edge. I've learnt the hard way (with M390) that it's a drop too thin for hair popping edge retention, the kind I need for my EDC uses even in comparison to a 20 degree on far simpler steel (please note I only have experience with one m390 blade with a 15 degree edge, YMMV, etc).

I like the comment someone made about this being a modern sodbuster. Seems to be an excellent comparison. Especially if it were given a somewhat tougher edge angle.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 07:27:28 PM
What a great option for those who are not allowed locking knives.
S90V is a serious performer

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 07:42:32 PM
Just watched a video about it. Rather impressed. The modern knife for the legal carry knife inhibited. It's everything that we're used to from the modern knife world, G10, Drop Point blade, Supersteel, deep carry clip, size, etc but without the lock. I don't need a knife like this currently, but when I do, I've finally found the one I'm looking for (in black though :) ). Most of all, I don't need to look at Kizer and Steel Will knives any more while sighing and thinking 'if only'. Heck for the price and steel I could buy one of these and have change in comparison to their locking brethren!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 07:46:02 PM

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 08:02:50 PM
I found this one a little easier to watch.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 08:03:54 PM

... of course it could also look like you're overcompensating for something... Just saying...  :whistle:

... I normally carry a spyderco ladybug...

:twak:  :rofl:
Manly Buck 1.jpg
* Manly Buck 1.jpg (Filesize: 403.02 KB)

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 08:12:19 PM
I like it. The price for the steel is also very impressive when you're paying over $100 for 1095 elsewhere for a slipjoint (cough GEC cough)  :D Is the nail nick massive or am I getting the proportions wrong? For an almost 3" blade it seems troll sized. Not a complaint just an observation. Bit wary of the 15 degree edge. I've learnt the hard way (with M390) that it's a drop too thin for hair popping edge retention, the kind I need for my EDC uses even in comparison to a 20 degree on far simpler steel (please note I only have experience with one m390 blade with a 15 degree edge, YMMV, etc).

I like the comment someone made about this being a modern sodbuster. Seems to be an excellent comparison. Especially if it were given a somewhat tougher edge angle.

Manly is claiming an edge thickness of 0.012" (0.3mm). So 20 degrees per side would still be an incredible slicer.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 08:15:19 PM

Manly is claiming an edge thickness of 0.012" (0.3mm). So 20 degrees per side would still be an incredible slicer.

At $78.90 shipped to me direct from Manly, it's ridiculously tempting. I just have to keep telling myself that I don't actually need a sodbuster (hard use) type knife right now.  :D

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 08:19:37 PM

At $78.90 shipped to me direct from Manly, it's ridiculously tempting. I just have to keep telling myself that I don't actually need a sodbuster (hard use) type knife right now.  :D
You don't need it now, You don't need it now.  :D

I'll tell you how I like mine latter in the week.  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69