Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Tilley Hat Owner's Place

Pacu · 133 · 11529

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
The Tilley Hat Owner's Place
on: May 27, 2018, 04:35:19 AM
Picked up a Tilley AirfloLTM6 back when Gander Mountain a town over was going under. Think i got it for 40ish bucks. It finally got a good wearing doing yard work yesterday. I'm a redhead so it works well to shade my noggin while mowing and weed eating. It's more comfortable than my Outdoor Research Helios, breathes better too. I'd say I would pay full price for one knowing the lifetime warranty it has and the comfort it provides.

20180526_183711 by Jason Downs, on Flickr

2018-05-26_08-44-26 by Jason Downs, on Flickr
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: The Tilley Hat Owner's Place
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:00:30 AM
I love hats the Mrs thinks I’m nuts, only thing is I can’t afford tilleys, yet I bought one that is the same design as that but in tan by dickies..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Pacu

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 05:08:36 AM
I love hats the Mrs thinks I’m nuts, only thing is I can’t afford tilleys, yet I bought one that is the same design as that but in tan by dickies..
JR

I'm going to have to look into that. All my work clothes made by Dickies are hard used and are awesome for the price.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 05:30:10 AM
JR

I'm going to have to look into that. All my work clothes made by Dickies are hard used and are awesome for the price.
All my shirts are dickies, the hats ok, it just seems very light and flimsy, the top seems to have a piece of cardboard in it idk if it’s just for show and I’m suppose to take it out or it stays?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:01:09 PM
I have three , a wool one for fall and winter , a white one for summer , and a Green one for spring/fall weather . Might get a blue one at some point . I got a hell of a deal at Sail in Canada , $39.50 Canuckbucks . It was in a bin of wierd sizes , had to ransack the whole bin .Twas worth it !

Chris

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:48:08 PM
I have three , a wool one for fall and winter , a white one for summer , and a Green one for spring/fall weather . Might get a blue one at some point . I got a hell of a deal at Sail in Canada , $39.50 Canuckbucks . It was in a bin of wierd sizes , had to ransack the whole bin .Twas worth it !

Chris
I don’t remember where I was but I did the same thing, there was a huge box full of hats and for some reason these two just jumped out at me, one all leather, made down under, I did some research and it was a pretty expensive hat, and that’s just down there let alone paying to get it up in the US. Then another that also wasn’t a cheap hat, I think I ended up paying $2 each, the Mrs still thinks it’s a waste, heck even if I only ware it once it’s still not a waste for that price!
JR

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 01:06:59 AM
I've had this Tilley for about 10 years. I think I picked it up in Vancouver, Canada.   :think:

Great hat.

This style is one of my favorites. I've worn this hat hiking, camping, kayking, canoeing, and just walking the dog.

This style Tilley is actually a lot like the older style Army hats worn by US forces early in the Vietnam era. One of the reasons I'm attached to it.  :salute:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:08:39 AM by Nix »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 01:14:05 AM
I've been wearing a Tilley for almost ten years.  I have worn out several and had them all replaced under warranty until my last one when I felt like I'd taken enough freebies and bought my first Airflow one, which I wear all year round.

I still have my last two, one of which has the big R in it meaning it's been replaced, and another that wore out and I never had replaced.  If I should change my mind about that, I can do it pretty well any time.

Megan has a nice oilskin one that I like very much and wouldn't mind having one as well for rainy days.

If I'm not careful, I could find myself owning a dozen of them!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 01:24:38 AM
I wear mine here quite a bit. It's 115 degrees out while mowing the yard.  :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 01:30:25 AM
I was looking around, but I can't find my first one!  :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 01:32:17 AM
I wear mine here quite a bit. It's 115 degrees out while mowing the yard.  :ahhh

OK, that's just wrong.

But, when faced with such insanity, I get my Tilley nice and wet and then head outside to do what I need to do. Then I spend the next 15 minutes sucking down iced tea. Just a word of experience thar.......... :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 01:42:42 AM

Megan has a nice oilskin one that I like very much and wouldn't mind having one as well for rainy days.

When the Fall rains arrive, and I'm going to be standing around in a wet stream, trying to fool some stupid fish, I turn to a waxed Filson lid:

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 03:46:44 AM

When the Fall rains arrive, and I'm going to be standing around in a wet stream, trying to fool some stupid fish, I turn to a waxed Filson lid:

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 03:49:15 AM

I have a Filson waxed model too , had it since 2004 , no sign of wear , great hat . I didn’t even know Tilley made a waxed one .

Chris :like:

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Crocker

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 08:36:27 PM
In summer, I tend to wear a straw hat more often than my Tilley, it's lighter and cooler. The Tilley offers better shade, especially when the sun is low in the sky, and can be crumpled when packed, makes a great spring and fall hat for me, and stays on my head better in a wind. The Tilley is also my favourite folk festival hat. 30+ years of ownership, several hats.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 08:47:17 PM
 :like:

The Tilley is almost impossible to remove from my head with both straps utilized. Gale-force hat.  :tu:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 11:14:00 AM
An original Tilley was my work hat for seven years. In that time it faded from khaki to almost white, and all but disintegrated. The effect of the New Zealand sun combined with summer sweat.

:like:

The Tilley is almost impossible to remove from my head with both straps utilized. Gale-force hat.  :tu:
Yep. One of the great things about it was how it stayed on even when driving an open tractor at top speed, into exactly that wind force. :hatsoff:
Rambler

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 09:53:46 PM
I bought my first Tilley a couple of years and and it's been my trusty companion since the day I got it.  The pic bellow was taken during our trip to Austria last years, some things have changed in this setup for this year's Austria trip (Rebar got replaced by a Vic Evo28, the Garmin Fenix got replaced by the Casio GWG-1000-1A3ER, and the MTO Pioneer X also came along this year), but the Tilley was one of the first things I packed. 

I even got a second one, just the same as my first one, to have a spare .... (and so it begins ... :ahhh).

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 10:43:18 PM
From Rebar to SAK?

:assimilate:
:dd:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 11:27:45 PM
From Rebar to SAK?

:assimilate:
:dd:

I still have the Swisstool and the Signal, and I thought those two cover everything the Rebar does, like replaceable cutters and dedicated drivers etc ...

And I really like the Evo28, it's the first SAK that was able to take the place of my trusty Swisschamp (which I also brought along to Austria, be it in my camera bag).

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 05:41:03 AM
I've always wanted a Tilley.  I may finally succumb to the urge this year.  I was wondering if anyone here has a Montana Fedora, and if so, would share your thoughts on it.  Cooler weather is around the corner and I was thinking of trying one out.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 03:10:55 AM
I've always wanted a Tilley.  I may finally succumb to the urge this year.  I was wondering if anyone here has a Montana Fedora, and if so, would share your thoughts on it.  Cooler weather is around the corner and I was thinking of trying one out.

Been looking closer at Tilley and think I may have decided on the TTW2 Tec-Wool hat.  Now I just have to decide what to sell to pay for it  :think:  :rofl:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 03:40:04 AM

Been looking closer at Tilley and think I may have decided on the TTW2 Tec-Wool hat.  Now I just have to decide what to sell to pay for it  :think:  :rofl:
Cute hat,
JR

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 04:57:24 AM

Cute hat,
JR

Not a fan?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 05:21:19 AM

Cute hat,
JR

Not a fan?
Just not my style, I’m more of a baseball cap, sorry..
JR

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 05:36:47 AM

Cute hat,
JR

Not a fan?
JR

Really? You shared pics of three full brimmed hats above.  That's the only reason I asked lol.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:38:04 AM by clown »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 05:43:55 AM

Cute hat,
JR

Not a fan?
JR

Really? You shared pics of three full brimmed hats above.  That's the only reason I asked lol.
Yeah I have a few, but their mor for those summer days with that burning sun and I don’t want the ears and neck getting toasted!
JR

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 05:49:29 AM

Cute hat,
JR

Not a fan?
JR

Yeah I have a few, but their mor for those summer days with that burning sun and I don’t want the ears and neck getting toasted!
JR
Cool! My dad was always a "driving cap" style hat wearer during the cooler months.  I had considered that type as well.  Looks like you have a couple.  Could you recommend one?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Re: The Tilley Hat Owner's Placend
Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 05:56:48 AM

Cute hat,
JR

Not a fan?
JR

JR
Cool! My dad was always a "driving cap" style hat wearer during the cooler months.  I had considered that type as well.  Looks like you have a couple.  Could you recommend one?
The second row down? The black one I got as a gift, it’s from glock but I put a MT.o patch over their symbol, the black/white is from headblade, I lived off of their product, and that gray was my grandfathers.. I really don’t know my things on hats, sorry.
JR

au Offline Valkie

Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 11:50:14 PM

Chris
I don’t remember where I was but I did the same thing, there was a huge box full of hats and for some reason these two just jumped out at me, one all leather, made down under, I did some research and it was a pretty expensive hat, and that’s just down there let alone paying to get it up in the US. Then another that also wasn’t a cheap hat, I think I ended up paying $2 each, the Mrs still thinks it’s a waste, heck even if I only ware it once it’s still not a waste for that price!
JR

I have one of those leather hats, and yes they are quite expensive at around $80.00 each.

But very comfortable and virtually indestructible.

I have shaped mine for comfort and Ill take a picha when I get home and post it.

But its mostly winter wear, it gets way too hot in summer.

In summer I wear an Acubra hat, made from Rabbit pelts.
It breathes better and isn't so hot to wear, my favourite is the Cattleman, its higher and more comfortable to me.

When you are bald like me, ya needs ta wear a hat.
Nothing worse than a burnt scalp and its one thing you can easily get in Australia ....sunburn

This is an Acubra Cattleman  at around $160.00 it aint cheap

644_57_FAWN.jpg
* 644_57_FAWN.jpg (Filesize: 15.43 KB)
tools is what defines us as humans

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62