Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Storing Multitools: In or Out of Sheaths?

il Offline israelpiper

Storing Multitools: In or Out of Sheaths?
on: May 27, 2018, 08:46:36 AM
Store in Sheaths? Leather vs. Cordura?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Storing Multitools: In or Out of Sheaths?
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 08:49:43 AM
To avoid rust, I heard they can better be stored outside of leather sheaths since leather holds humidity.
Nylon shouldn't matter.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 09:20:10 AM
i got all my stuff; MT's, knifes, flashlights in these types of cases, and I put those little desiccant packets in some of them, but I do store them in the sheaths, never had any rust issues, but I think it may depend on where you live:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:42:39 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 09:32:46 AM
I never worry too much about it - unless I sweat on them the climate here is warm and dry
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 01:43:47 PM
My tools are all stored in their Leather sheaths. Never had any rust issues  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 03:20:39 PM
both.
Nylon, kydex and plastic no problems. Leather sheaths I try to avoid storing things inside  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 04:18:38 PM
I have recently been trying to figure out an efficient way to store them out of their sheaths, but find it requires 30%-40% more physical space to do so. So, as of right now, they are stored in their sheaths (leather and nylon). Best thing I have done is to give all of them a light drying silicone oil treatment before putting them back into the sheaths for storage. I coat every bit of the MT inside and out with the oil(except for plastic parts on some MTs)and leave them out to dry. Before I put them back into storage, I make 100% sure there are no fingerprints on the tools, as the skin oil seems to be a major catalyst for rust spotting. It may seem like overkill, but not a single tool in my collection has rust. The only tool I have with major rust pitting is a JPST, but that one is a little sentimental, and it has been treated to prevent rust from starting back.

Before putting your MTs back into storage; use a magnifying glass, loupe, or magnifying glasses to examine the entire tool (inside and out) for finger grease (fingerprints) or dirt. I use microfiber rags to wipe away the finger acid and dirt.

Call me a nut, but it works. :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 05:02:46 PM
I have recently been trying to figure out an efficient way to store them out of their sheaths, but find it requires 30%-40% more physical space to do so. So, as of right now, they are stored in their sheaths (leather and nylon). Best thing I have done is to give all of them a light drying silicone oil treatment before putting them back into the sheaths for storage. I coat every bit of the MT inside and out with the oil(except for plastic parts on some MTs)and leave them out to dry. Before I put them back into storage, I make 100% sure there are no fingerprints on the tools, as the skin oil seems to be a major catalyst for rust spotting. It may seem like overkill, but not a single tool in my collection has rust. The only tool I have with major rust pitting is a JPST, but that one is a little sentimental, and it has been treated to prevent rust from starting back.

Before putting your MTs back into storage; use a magnifying glass, loupe, or magnifying glasses to examine the entire tool (inside and out) for finger grease (fingerprints) or dirt. I use microfiber rags to wipe away the finger acid and dirt.

Call me a nut, but it works. :D

Yes, it works 👍

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 08:08:39 AM
Out of the sheaths, but only because I pocket carry my multitools so all the sheaths they came with are stuffed in a drawer somewhere and I rarely even look at them.  If I belt carried I would probably leave my tools in the sheaths.  My house is air conditioned all the time so I'm not worried about rust.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 09:17:24 AM
In sheaths, if possible. They provide some sort of protection against dust or scratches etc. Also, some sheaths have extra pockets for additional bits and extenders and alike.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 12:02:07 AM
I store them in plastic containers in their sheaths :salute: They are kept inside my house so the temperature is controlled year way this way :tu: Have never had any issues with stainless steel but I do try and keep check on carbon steel blades  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 02:19:43 AM
I store mine in their sheath be it leather or other material within a plastic container.  I do go thru my tools from time to time to check on them.  I've not had any issues so far 6 years running. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD