Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has the wingman/sidekick outsold the fuse and blast?

Offline stugumby

I really miss the blast and fuse tools, just wondering if the sidekick/wingman have outsold them. I always wondered why they dumped the blast and fuse, one platform, just add more tools. miss the kick also. The wingman series has a bit uncomfortable grip width and the pliers wobble a bit, but love the 1 handed blade etc.  Got a barely used fuse the other day at a great price, just cant seem to use it. i dont have shelf queens, i use everything in rotation but for some reason my keepers box fuse hasnt seen much use in years either. Trying to find a knifeless fuse for my fathers day present.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Re: Has the wingman/sidekick outsold the fuse and blast?
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 05:59:08 AM
The Blast never seemed to get any love, but if I could get the Rebar frame with the load out of the Blast id be set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 01:49:50 PM
The Blast never seemed to get any love, but if I could get the Rebar frame with the load out of the Blast id be set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy enough to add scissors to the Rebar

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 02:50:45 PM
 :iagree: I had more love for the Zytel series back in the day than several and have less love for the Wingman/SideKick series than many, so... ;) :D

I even originally chose the Blast over the Wave because the tool load out is exactly the same minus the seratted edge blade and dedicated Phillips vs the bit driver :o You do lose OHO as well but the tools are still there :salute: I like the W/S series OK but nowhere near as much as the Zytel series :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 04:18:34 PM
I think it would be better if Leatherman let the WM/SK fade away. The price on them has gotten out of control. When they first came out, you could get a WM for less than $30 anywhere (in the US). Now its a $50 tool. I think a Kick version of the Rebar would be awesome. The Rebar is a good Blast replacement, IMHO. The knifeless Rebar is pretty similar to the knifeless Fuse. And in terms of the Kick, the Rebar is already pretty slim, but by flattening one side of the chassis, adding a clip, and losing the locks makes a slick pocket tool fitting of carrying on the Sideclip and Kick legacy.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 05:10:35 PM
 :iagree: Those sound like some great ideas :cheers: :like:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 06:28:08 PM
I think it would be better if Leatherman let the WM/SK fade away. The price on them has gotten out of control. When they first came out, you could get a WM for less than $30 anywhere (in the US). Now its a $50 tool. I think a Kick version of the Rebar would be awesome. The Rebar is a good Blast replacement, IMHO. The knifeless Rebar is pretty similar to the knifeless Fuse. And in terms of the Kick, the Rebar is already pretty slim, but by flattening one side of the chassis, adding a clip, and losing the locks makes a slick pocket tool fitting of carrying on the Sideclip and Kick legacy.

:iagree: (with most; please, do NOT loose/ remove the tool locks!) :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 01:50:18 AM
:iagree: (with most; please, do NOT loose/ remove the tool locks!) :tu:

I think its smart to offer a non-locking tool for several reasons. First, legality in more places. In UK I believe locking blades are illegal. Second and third, less complex to manufacture and fewer parts resulting in lower price.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 01:55:58 AM
 :oops: I'm sorry; I forgot about our pals at the other side of the pond. Point taken.  :tu:

us Offline MTFool

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 02:00:54 AM
 I know the kick has had a pocket clip, BUT if the fuse or blast had one it would really put the WM/SK to shame. An aftermarket clip to fit on any of the three would be nice.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 03:06:44 AM
I would say so. You seem to see the Sidekick in nearly every store that sells Leatherman. Yet, I see very few Kicks around here; even less than PSTs.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 01:25:31 PM
I think when the Wingman and Sidekick hit the market they were priced right so folks that were on the fence about buying a multitool could grab one without buyer remorse and still have a “name” product. The Leatherman quality was there (okay, we’ll take about 10-15% off that statement), they had a good selection of tools and the pocket clip was a real bonus. Now, however, it seems LM is either in a cash grab or aren’t making as many, as the prices have increased to a level that people will think twice about buying.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline MTFool

Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 09:18:02 PM
I also think that the SK/WM were LM first and only spring loaded pliers ( I may be wrong about that). Spring loaded pliers never appealed to me much.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 12:07:16 PM
OHT is also spring loaded :tu: I don't love spring loaded as much either :shrug: :D

us Offline MTFool

Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 01:47:22 AM
Thanks Pancho that's one of the ones I don't have I didn't realize it was :dunno:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 05:34:11 PM
Interesting topic this.  IIRC the Blast, Fuse and Kick all went away in favour of the Rebar.  Not a terrible plan I think but I'd have loved to have seen a genuine PST/super slim version as well. 

The Sidekick and the Wingman came out a year before the Rebar and, as mentioned above, were fanatically cheap for a LM.  I don't hate my Sidekick but it could definitely be better IMO.  Love the two outside opening tools.  Strongly dislike almost all the internal tools.  If they had built something around a couple of the Rebar screwdrivers I'd have been much happier. So, for example, the ruler is useless, the file is nearly useless and the flat screwdriver gets massively compromised to accommodate them. :shrug:  LM aren't known for being sentimental so I have to assume they are still selling well though. 

I'd be intereted to know if LM feels the Rebar or the Wingman etc. has been a better success.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%