Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wanted: Improvement of Victorinox metal file

EMZ · 15 · 996

nl Offline EMZ

Wanted: Improvement of Victorinox metal file
on: May 29, 2018, 05:24:40 PM
In my mouth I have an artificial molar, a so called crown. It's made of a porcelain core and an outer shell of Zirconium Oxide, which makes it very hard, but also brittle. So, here I was dining in a nice restaurant when suddenly I was crushing on something very hard. Holy cow, I soon realised that a large piece (it felt like 5 cm long) had came of my crown! First I got rid of the crown's fragment (I kept the largest piece, which is in the picture) and then I emptied my mouth in the men's room.
The remnants of my broken crown now exposed a razor sharp edge, immediately hurting my tongue and the inside of my cheek. I took the metal file out of my Victorinox Handyman (which was my EDC that day), but it was to no avail. The hardened metal was no match for Zirconium Oxide. Luckily I had in my car a Leatherman Charge TTi and I new it had the diamond file on it. I went to my car, then back to the men's room and filed of the sharp edges of my crown, using the mirror, my Leatherman and my small Olight SR1 Baton (which I also EDC'd).
Other people looked at me thinking I was a pretty weird guy, having a multitool in my mouth, in my other hand a flashlight, while standing in front of the mirror in a men's room.

Conclusion of this all: I would like to see a Victorinox Handyman WITH diamond file, just like the Leatherman has!
P5295092.JPG
* P5295092.JPG (Filesize: 183.76 KB)
P5295093.JPG
* P5295093.JPG (Filesize: 200.01 KB)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:26:40 PM by EMZ »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wanted: Improvement of Victorinox metal file
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 06:02:13 PM
But they cost so much less :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 06:51:08 PM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 06:16:47 PM

Correct, but I want a tool that I can use!
I just wonder why LM has this diamond file since many years, and why Vic hasn't something similar.
It would have been a better improvement than a Fire Lighter, Laser or a Cigar Cutter.
 :(

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 07:50:02 PM
As someone who's cracked a crown before (albeit not as badly as you... mine didn't come apart), I feel for you!  I'm curious... does your Handyman have the older, dull silver looking file, or the newer stainless file?
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 08:45:04 PM

Correct, but I want a tool that I can use!
I just wonder why LM has this diamond file since many years, and why Vic hasn't something similar.
It would have been a better improvement than a Fire Lighter, Laser or a Cigar Cutter.
Good statements... :salute:

at Offline Peter1960

Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 08:10:37 AM
Well, how can I say it in a foreign language? ::)
If you search for an innovative company which listens to their customers you should not stick with Victorinox.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 08:14:33 AM
Have you ever tried contacting the, Peter?
By far the best customer service I ever encountered.

Also, if they have to follow through with every idea being send in, they'd need a few hundred years to build it all.
On top of that, because some people like, for example, a diamond coated file, doesn't mean that the general public is waiting for it.

If you spend thousands on redesigning tools and re-setting machinery or even buy new machines, it better be worth it in the sales.
Company = profit. Otherwise, it's the same thing as with Wenger, but by a non-related company.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:57:36 AM
As someone who's cracked a crown before (albeit not as badly as you... mine didn't come apart), I feel for you!  I'm curious... does your Handyman have the older, dull silver looking file, or the newer stainless file?
It had the old file. I doubt if the new file can compete with baked Zirconium Oxide...

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 10:02:41 AM

Also, if they have to follow through with every idea being send in, they'd need a few hundred years to build it all.
On top of that, because some people like, for example, a diamond coated file, doesn't mean that the general public is waiting for it.

If you spend thousands on redesigning tools and re-setting machinery or even buy new machines, it better be worth it in the sales.
Company = profit. Otherwise, it's the same thing as with Wenger, but by a non-related company.

You are right.
However I just wonder, if LM can, why Vic not?
I know some members of the Elsener and Leatherman families are personal friends, they even join each other on vacations, so I wouldn't be surprised if they change ideas or speak about new inventions. Or maybe they don't.

at Offline Peter1960

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 10:52:24 PM
What has customer service to do with innovations? And if Victorinox is known for improvements I can also believe in pink unicorns. :whistle:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 11:30:06 PM
How can a company provide great customer service without listening to their clients? :pok:

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 01:22:10 AM
I'm just sitting here absorbing the thought of a file against my teeth. Makes my bones ache thinking about it.  :o :o
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 12:23:56 PM
I agree with you. The only two things I like about the Leatherman tools are the diamond file and one hand opening blades. Before I got my spirit x a few weeks ago I carried a charge tti for a few years. I loved that file.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 11:56:16 PM
Next week I'm going to the Eurosatory Exhibition in Paris. Maybe I can get in touch with a Vic representative and can I tell him my 'complaint'.
I'll just give it a try.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD