Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Expandable baton?

LOWW · 42 · 2099

Offline LOWW

Expandable baton?
on: May 30, 2018, 01:33:55 AM
Hi
Sadly last Saturday an Angry Muslim was try to attack me because I told his Wife to lower there voice.
The come next to me and grab between his legs and told me he will stab me with a Knife. Sadly in the last Year that happened often.  :rant:
So I put out my Pepperspray an sadly he got me no reason and turn around an yelled at me that he called the Cops.  :facepalm:
Cops arrived and tocked my Data for an record and that end without someone got harmed thankfully. That situation shows me I need to be prepared a littlebit better for such an Situation. If I had used my Pepperspray and the would show no reaction to him the last resort had be my Knife and sadly enough if I had stabbed him in self defence I would walk to jail.  :ahhh
So the idea come up to buy an Expandable baton. Here its legal to carry an special Version who have just and round tip and there is an Dealer who had that Version.
The Question is there any way to use an Expandable baton for self fence with an small chance to get to Jail for use them?
Thanks!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Expandable baton?
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 01:50:09 AM
Since we don't know what country you are in we can't really comment on what will and won't get you in trouble with the law.  Also, the vast majority of us are not lawyers, and so I wouldn't accept legal advice from any of us if I were you.

That having been said, two thoughts come to mind:

1- any laws that would give you trouble for defending yourself with pepper spray is probably not going to be very happy with you for using an expandable baton for self defense either.

2- if your assailant is close enough to grab you, an expandable baton is of no use to you as you need time to extend it and space to swing it.

Once again I would strongly suggest that you take some hand to hand training rather than trying to rely on a weapon to do the work for you.  You will need weapons training to use it effectively anyway, you may as well start with your own body.

I would also suggest that you look into crisis resolution and de-escalation tactics so you can maybe avoid these types of alterations in the first place.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline LOWW

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 02:11:44 AM
Since we don't know what country you are
LOWW = Vienna International Airport.  ;) So I am from Austria.
1- any laws that would give you trouble for defending yourself with pepper spray is probably not going to be very happy with you for using an expandable baton for self defense either.
For example some Days ago a Insane Muslim stabet some other of his "Brother" in a Handfight and he claim to be innocent because he was low on blood sugar and he didn't eat, drink anything for Ramadan who is now.  :ahhh Trust me what will happen now? He will get 3 Years on Probation.  :rant:
If some of his "Brother" try to attack me with a knife the will bring the same excuse and in the end I will be the evil man who tried to killed an innocent Muslim who just tried to show me his knife he bought.  :whistle: I dont have anything against Muslim but the make a lot of trouble here together with Afro Africans.  :twak:
2- if your assailant is close enough to grab you
that is rule No1. never get anyone close to me.  :salute: And if he grabbs me is theoretically against the law.
an expandable baton is of no use to you as you need time to extend it and space to swing it
And than? When I have them ready? Punch the Knee?
Once again I would strongly suggest that you take some hand to hand training
There is quite nothing you can do if someone have a Knife just keep distance.
You will need weapons training to use it effectively anyway, you may as well start with your own body.
Here is quite nobody who show the skills to anyone who is not in the Military or Police.
and de-escalation tactics so you can maybe avoid these types of alterations in the first place.
But with Mentally ill People its hard or impossible to communicate especially if the not speak your language.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 02:41:17 AM
The best defence is not to get involved in the first place
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline LOWW

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 02:56:44 AM
haha sure it sound easy but its not. When the Criminal attack there is quite no way around. In Germany People got Beaten to death from a mad Muslim Crowed.  :rant:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 03:17:23 AM
Let's get one thing straight here- let's stop referring to them as Muslims.  It sounds like these people are idiots, and their ethnicity is of no consequence, as I have encountered violent idiots in all backgrounds.  Singling them (and Africans) out really weakens your argument to the layperson, as they tend to focus on what appears to be a racist comment.  I am not calling you racist, I am just saying that the extra information dilutes the issue unnecessarily- ie, you need to defend against an attack, not defend against Muslims.

In fact, we have more than a few Muslims here, and I have faith that any of them would back up a fellow MTO member in need, and there's no reason to make them feel like they are the bad guys.

Getting that out of the way, there are lots of ways to learn self defense, even without a teacher.  Get together with some friends who also would like to learn, and wrestle things out between you, until you find what works.  Someone had to invent fighting styles originally, and they didn't have someone to teach them.  They just figured it out.

As for facing a knife when you are unarmed, I have done it many times, and I have the scars to prove it.  Most folks don't know how to use a knife in combat, and are very easily subdued as long as you know what you are doing.

I am also a certified instructor on the Winchester Expandable Baton and the Rapid Rotation Baton System, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that in close quarters, a baton, like almost any weapon becomes a liability.  If you truly want to use a weapon to defend yourself, I suggest getting yourself a cane and studying Hapkido.  Not a sword cane, gun cane, or indeed any kind of special ninja cane, I mean a straight up wood or aluminum cane, the type you see elderly people use.  If you lean on it when you walk, people will assume you have a medical condition, and see you as no threat, and maybe fights won't just magically happen around you any more.  And, if they do, and you have studied properly, then you will have no issues protecting yourself.

Realistically, I suggest that you find out what it is that seems to get you into these situations and try to alter that.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 03:32:33 AM
Let's get one thing straight here- let's stop referring to them as Muslims.  It sounds like these people are idiots, and their ethnicity is of no consequence, as I have encountered violent idiots in all backgrounds.  Singling them (and Africans) out really weakens your argument to the layperson, as they tend to focus on what appears to be a racist comment.  I am not calling you racist, I am just saying that the extra information dilutes the issue unnecessarily- ie, you need to defend against an attack, not defend against Muslims.

In fact, we have more than a few Muslims here, and I have faith that any of them would back up a fellow MTO member in need, and there's no reason to make them feel like they are the bad guys.

Getting that out of the way, there are lots of ways to learn self defense, even without a teacher.  Get together with some friends who also would like to learn, and wrestle things out between you, until you find what works.  Someone had to invent fighting styles originally, and they didn't have someone to teach them.  They just figured it out.

As for facing a knife when you are unarmed, I have done it many times, and I have the scars to prove it.  Most folks don't know how to use a knife in combat, and are very easily subdued as long as you know what you are doing.

I am also a certified instructor on the Winchester Expandable Baton and the Rapid Rotation Baton System, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that in close quarters, a baton, like almost any weapon becomes a liability.  If you truly want to use a weapon to defend yourself, I suggest getting yourself a cane and studying Hapkido.  Not a sword cane, gun cane, or indeed any kind of special ninja cane, I mean a straight up wood or aluminum cane, the type you see elderly people use.  If you lean on it when you walk, people will assume you have a medical condition, and see you as no threat, and maybe fights won't just magically happen around you any more.  And, if they do, and you have studied properly, then you will have no issues protecting yourself.

Realistically, I suggest that you find out what it is that seems to get you into these situations and try to alter that.

Def

I'm with Grant on all the points he's made, but a pause for thought here. If you use any kind of weapon against an unarmed person, who's getting arrested and charged? Not the dude trying to fondle your plums that's a certainty!

I'm really not as good with him with a baton either! Although I was qualified to PW1 plus a few other speSmurfpillsations and spent a hell of long time teaching people how not to get into the smurf in first place.

Right now this will make me unpopular but I've  never been confused with someone who gives a smurf. from the first line line of your post it would appear that you initiated the confrontation by complaining about his wife.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 04:28:19 AM
Here's a story to give you some perspective.  When I was young and impressive I worked in the jails in Toronto.  I used to regularly meet up with guys who thought they were the baddest of the bad, but honestly, if they were half the badasses they thought they were then they wouldn't have been in jail.  Guys would mouth off all the time and, when they threatened to come after me when they got out, I would give them my home address, because I knew none of them would have the nerve to follow up on it.

I was wrong.

One night I was getting home from a long day, and I was tired.  I got off the elevator and began walking absentmindedly down the hall towards my apartment, when I saw a guy leaning against the wall near my door.  As I got closer, he stood up and faced me.  I didn't break stride as I realized that I knew this guy from somewhere, although I didn't know immediately from where.

That's when he pulled a knife, and I immediately remembered where I knew him from.  He was some punk kid (a very large punk kid) who had been in my jail some time before, and I guess he was here to make a name for himself.  From his stance I immediately knew he was "trained" by watching TV and movies, so I never felt any real threat, because I had been training and doing for a few years at this point.

When I got close enough (he was between me and my door) he lunged at me, trying to stick the knife in my lower chest or upper stomach.  I caught the guard of the knife on my wrist, pivoted around so the knife went wide, snatched it out of his grip so that I had it in the reverse grip, spun around and buried it up to the hilt in his opposite thigh.  I imagine that if I'd lived in a building nice enough to have security cameras, that would have been really awesome to watch, and I have no hope in hell of doing that these days.   :facepalm:

As he jumped up and down on one leg trying to pull the knife out I casually opened the door and let out my very large dog, who was instantly alerted to the ruckus.  Pete would have never hurt the guy, but the guy didn't know that.  He yelled a nasty word and ran away as fast as his injured leg would allow him, with Pete chasing him down the hall and jumping at him.  Pete was of course playing, but I doubt the guy knew that....

The thing you need to take away from that story is that it doesn't matter what your mindset is (I believe he came to kill me), it doesn't matter what weapons you have (he had a knife and I had no weapons) and it doesn't matter how big or badass you are (he was probably close to double my size, as I was all of about 120 lbs in those days), what matters is training.  You can carry all the weapons you think you are allowed to, but if you don't know how to use them, someone is going to take it from you and insert it into your anatomy in ways you likely will not appreciate. 

You want to defend yourself?  Learn to defend yourself.  Carrying weapons and not knowing how to use them is remarkably stupid, and is very likely to cause you to end up in jail, if you are lucky.  Not every fight needs to be fought- have the sense to tell the difference.

And if any ninja teacher tells you any different, don't pay him, because he probably learned to fight from Jackie Chan movies too.

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 06:15:42 AM
I once thought of getting one of those but just never did. When I was young I carried a freaking 9mm, there’s just one thing you have to think of, whatever you carry whether a gun, pepper spray, or expandable baton, you got to be willing to except it to be used on you! I don’t carry anything for self defense, I mean yeah I have a pocket knife on me, but the trick of it is to look around an see what can be used, every time I go somewhere I have to look around and see what’s what, and how it could be used to help you cause pain!
As a demonstration I’m sitting here on my bed, what if someone came in my door how could I defend myself and cause them pain?
1, grab the stool and smash it over their head,
2, put their head in the door jamb and slam it,
3, reach for flashlight and smash the end with the sharp bezel into their skin,
4, speaker wire, wrap it around their neck,
5, pocket knife, start stabbing!

Just a quick look and that’s what I came up with..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 06:41:07 AM
Here's a story to give you some perspective.  When I was young and impressive I worked in the jails in Toronto.  I used to regularly meet up with guys who thought they were the baddest of the bad, but honestly, if they were half the badasses they thought they were then they wouldn't have been in jail.  Guys would mouth off all the time and, when they threatened to come after me when they got out, I would give them my home address, because I knew none of them would have the nerve to follow up on it.

I was wrong.

One night I was getting home from a long day, and I was tired.  I got off the elevator and began walking absentmindedly down the hall towards my apartment, when I saw a guy leaning against the wall near my door.  As I got closer, he stood up and faced me.  I didn't break stride as I realized that I knew this guy from somewhere, although I didn't know immediately from where.

That's when he pulled a knife, and I immediately remembered where I knew him from.  He was some punk kid (a very large punk kid) who had been in my jail some time before, and I guess he was here to make a name for himself.  From his stance I immediately knew he was "trained" by watching TV and movies, so I never felt any real threat, because I had been training and doing for a few years at this point.

When I got close enough (he was between me and my door) he lunged at me, trying to stick the knife in my lower chest or upper stomach.  I caught the guard of the knife on my wrist, pivoted around so the knife went wide, snatched it out of his grip so that I had it in the reverse grip, spun around and buried it up to the hilt in his opposite thigh.  I imagine that if I'd lived in a building nice enough to have security cameras, that would have been really awesome to watch, and I have no hope in hell of doing that these days.   :facepalm:

As he jumped up and down on one leg trying to pull the knife out I casually opened the door and let out my very large dog, who was instantly alerted to the ruckus.  Pete would have never hurt the guy, but the guy didn't know that.  He yelled a nasty word and ran away as fast as his injured leg would allow him, with Pete chasing him down the hall and jumping at him.  Pete was of course playing, but I doubt the guy knew that....

The thing you need to take away from that story is that it doesn't matter what your mindset is (I believe he came to kill me), it doesn't matter what weapons you have (he had a knife and I had no weapons) and it doesn't matter how big or badass you are (he was probably close to double my size, as I was all of about 120 lbs in those days), what matters is training.  You can carry all the weapons you think you are allowed to, but if you don't know how to use them, someone is going to take it from you and insert it into your anatomy in ways you likely will not appreciate. 

You want to defend yourself?  Learn to defend yourself.  Carrying weapons and not knowing how to use them is remarkably stupid, and is very likely to cause you to end up in jail, if you are lucky.  Not every fight needs to be fought- have the sense to tell the difference.

And if any ninja teacher tells you any different, don't pay him, because he probably learned to fight from Jackie Chan movies too.

Def

That is a great story. Puts into perspective all the idiots thinking that carrying a OHO knife gives them a defensive tool without bothering to begin with the appropriate training. Whenever I see the kind of post (not here but often on BF) which says 'I need a knife for EDC use, food oh and to keep on me for defence' I just have to shake my head.

I also agree with you on your above comments about the racial identification. Really not necessary.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 06:50:34 AM
I think as young boys something was amiss.  I mean why do boy who eventually grow to be adult males feel the need to fight?  I have seen my share of people getting the snot kicked out of them for nothing.  I mean they instigate or fan the flame and get the snot kicked out of them.  Worse yet is they kick the snot out of the person and get arrested.  You don't want that trust me. 

I am a bit of an expert myself.  I have a 5th degree blackbelt in conflict deescalation.  A 3rd degree blackbelt in seeing trouble a mile away.  Most importantly tho, I don't suffer the need to engage with idiots, ever. 

Brother my humble advice is self defense begins with exactly what Boss said,  "You want to defend yourself?  Learn to defend yourself.  Carrying weapons and not knowing how to use them is remarkably stupid, and is very likely to cause you to end up in jail, if you are lucky.  Not every fight needs to be fought- have the sense to tell the difference."  So many want to use weapons but very few want to take the time to train.  I would suggest any form of hand to hand combative training.  What I find interesting is when one does get such training they learn to walk away.    Sure there may be a time when you will need to defend yourself but I'm all for not letting idiots drag you into BS. 

Best to you. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 07:27:33 AM
I took karate waaaaaaay back, but my thing was being able to just turn and walk away, but my thing was thirds a charm,
1, Something starts, walk away.
2, the other one gets in your face again, turn the cheek.
3, I’ve held back enough, if they put their hand on you first they’ve asked for it!

The wife’s a little diff, she’s also from philly, but she’ll get up all in your face yet make no contact, but the sec they put a hand on her she’d lay them out!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 09:06:16 AM

Def

I'm with Grant on all the points he's made, but a pause for thought here. If you use any kind of weapon against an unarmed person, who's getting arrested and charged? Not the dude trying to fondle your plums that's a certainty!

I'm really not as good with him with a baton either! Although I was qualified to PW1 plus a few other speSmurfpillsations and spent a hell of long time teaching people how not to get into the smurf in first place.

Right now this will make me unpopular but I've  never been confused with someone who gives a smurf. from the first line line of your post it would appear that you initiated the confrontation by complaining about his wife.

+1 Grant
+1 Smashie

A very bad experience, I don't know how I would have reacted, frankly...

The chosen approach depends on the perception of the person, it seems. There's a Youtube channel of an expat living in China, where he talks about the culture, gives tips, tells and shows the differences he faced there as an expat etc. In one of the videos he tells his worst experience in the country, when he was forced to pay for a service he did not receive in a massage saloon. He declined to pay and then things escalated. The personnel of the saloon all came on to him, he had to go out side, then other locals also got mixed up in the situation. He was encircled (I hope this is the right word) by the angry mob, insulted. That's when he made a mistake, according to him: He insulted back to that particular person. Though, that guy twisted his words and told to everybody around that he insulted the whole Chinese people. And at that point the beating began. Even passers by attacked him. By chance there was a police bike passing by, he intervened and stopped the whole thing, taking him and the saloon people to the police station for a hearing etc. He was let go, later on.

The thing that impressed me in this horrible example is that the guy says in the video that HE made a mistake. Since he's innocent from the very beginning he easily would have blamed the a**holes attacking him, could have talked badly about the country, culture, people... Instead he said that he should have remained calm, kept things (and himself) under control and not have given that insulting guy the advantage by replying to him with an insult. If he had did that and not escalated the aggression, he would at least haven't been beaten by the time the police came.

That being said, in my humble opinion it's better to learn some hand-to-hand defence technique like aikido or alike. Weapons can get one into trouble, especially when they are used in a wrong, rushed, panicked way. Calling the authorities before giving a personal and physical response is also a safer way for your own physical well-being (you never know what the other person is carrying) and if law is involved.

Last but not least, please consider making a Mozartkugeln-GAW some day :) Jeder hat die gern.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 12:03:31 PM

The chosen approach depends on the perception of the person, it seems. There's a Youtube channel of an expat living in China, where he talks about the culture, gives tips, tells and shows the differences he faced there as an expat etc. In one of the videos he tells his worst experience in the country, when he was forced to pay for a service he did not receive in a massage saloon. He declined to pay and then things escalated. The personnel of the saloon all came on to him, he had to go out side, then other locals also got mixed up in the situation. He was encircled (I hope this is the right word) by the angry mob, insulted. That's when he made a mistake, according to him: He insulted back to that particular person. Though, that guy twisted his words and told to everybody around that he insulted the whole Chinese people. And at that point the beating began. Even passers by attacked him. By chance there was a police bike passing by, he intervened and stopped the whole thing, taking him and the saloon people to the police station for a hearing etc. He was let go, later on.

The thing that impressed me in this horrible example is that the guy says in the video that HE made a mistake. Since he's innocent from the very beginning he easily would have blamed the a**holes attacking him, could have talked badly about the country, culture, people... Instead he said that he should have remained calm, kept things (and himself) under control and not have given that insulting guy the advantage by replying to him with an insult. If he had did that and not escalated the aggression, he would at least haven't been beaten by the time the police came.

Serpentza's videos are good aren't they?

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 02:15:00 PM
A pepper spray and a pair of good shoes sounds like a combination that is the least likely to get you in trouble with the law in most places.

Expandable baton on the other hand...  :think:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 04:45:24 PM
as others said, and to quote John Farnam:  :whistle:

"Don't go stupid places, with stupid people, and do stupid things."
that being said, there's an order (1 to 6) from better to worse to keep in mind to address your defensive needs and capabilities  :salute:

De escalation comes first, but sadly some people don't listen or even speak your language, or they are drunk, on drugs or have issues.
For that you need: the weapon between your ears, your voice and gestures and your training

Running and calling for help is second, but sadly some can't run, can't call for help or they'd be outrun, or harmed going with those options       For that you need: a good pair of shoes, a cellphone, a whistle or loud voice

Going to the hands is third in the continuum, sadly there's size, strength, and fitness disparities between humans, but it's the best physical recoure to avoid deadly injuries, legal charges and trouble, they are immediately available (no need to "deploy") and you have experience with them
For that you need: motivation, mindset, preferably martial arts training and quick thinking

Everyday objects are the fourth option, things that don't look like weapons (pens, flashlights, pencils, keys, books, wallets, canes, etc.)
For that you need: plausible deniability (tactical looking pens, vesseled lights, kubaton in keychain, sword canes, those are all to be avoided)

Weapons, defense tools are fifth, and far from the previous options. Now you've escalated, and using a tonfa, baton, sap, weaponised object or others can cause serious harm or death, lots of legal issues and in most countries will make you look like a bad guy, or even like the bad guy. Plausible deniability is hard to come by in this case, and even tools can be seen exclusively as weapons (knives, wrenches, screwdrivers...)             For that you need: lax laws and soft weapons regulations, probably a good excuse, a credible story and likely a serious lawyer

Dedicated weapons are the sixth resource. Things you carry with the sole purpose of defense or offense (Daggers, knuckles, handguns, etc.) will not be seen with good eyes in any place that doesn't condone and allow self defense (that is many places) and the result of using these is often ugly wounds, destroyed lives, dead people and irreversible damage. Good luck on getting out unharmed (Physically, mentally, economically, socially and legally) if you decide to carry and use one of them.
For that you need: strict laws, obvious weapons and weaponised objects, determination, and a very good lawyer and excuse for your case

Fortunately enough following nº1 and using what's between your ears will prevent going any further in the continuum, and swallowing your pride and biting your tongue will help too, hopefully avoiding stepping to level 2 or 3. ;)

If for some reason you have to escalate it or are already being attacked with physical violence, your best bet is using your body, pepper spray (if legal where you live) or everyday objects (chairs, books, tables, pens...) to stop or disencourage the threat, never going further and stopping when you have effectively defended yourself.  :tu:

That will give you a plausible story, a good excuse and credibility, and probably a safe way out of this mess.

so, use your brain, use your body (train if you are serious about it), hone your awareness skills, your running, your verbal and conversation skills, practice and hopefully you will live a long, happy and safe life till you die, and in the rare even that all goes to h*ll for some reason, you will then be trained and prepared to face that situations and hopefully come up on top in the eyes of the law, and in the interest of your own self-preservation   :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline LOWW

Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 09:58:27 PM
so i am back from the hospital now. What happened? I was falling over am stair and injured my left arm... sry I will replay here next week!  :salute: :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 12:59:19 AM
so i am back from the hospital now. What happened? I was falling over am stair and injured my left arm... sry I will replay here next week!  :salute: :salute:

Get better soon. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 05:01:02 AM
I had to draw my knife out twice in past year, I had no choice.
Both times the bad guys took off running like jackrabbits.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:03:52 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 07:33:38 AM

Can you blame them Kam  :pok: if you drew your Esplada or any one of the knifes picture in your avatar they may have also wet themselves  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 09:04:24 AM

Can you blame them Kam  :pok: if you drew your Esplada or any one of the knifes picture in your avatar they may have also wet themselves  :rofl:
I mean, what's a mugger gonna do when his would-be victim draws a folding sword?  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 12:16:17 PM

I mean, what's a mugger gonna do when his would-be victim draws a folding sword?  :ahhh

+100

I am pretty sure those things don't even fit the definition of conventional weapons anymore...  :ahhh

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 03:41:47 PM
Guy thinks to himself, Oh I'll rob this man.  Kam gets within robbing distance, robber readies himself......  Kam being aware and positions himself while robber also does the same.  Robber makes a move and Kam opens his folder sword with an authorize CLACCKKK.   

Man tinkles on himself as he's running away questioning his life.   

Kam, you did this fool a favor  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 05:26:32 PM

:)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 05:30:52 PM
 :pok:
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 05:38:01 PM
I have more respect for the science in movies than the one that lot makes
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 05:46:55 PM
It was Indiana Jones so  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 05:49:38 PM
Personally, I favour Judge Roy Beans strategy every time...

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 05:54:13 PM
I keep a flashlight on me when I walk my dog, it has a strobe function when keep pressing the mode function button that increases the lumen to 1000 or so.

If someone behaves irrationally at me and tries to close the distance and over failed to de-escalate the situation I'll use that function to eject me and my dog from the person.

Failing that I can hit the, now, assailant with it to keep the person away from me and my dog (my dog isn't trained and a generally "stupid happy dog ", but she got German shepherd in her so who knows).

More than that I don't plan. It's just not a realistic risk.

I would strongly recommend empathy first - if someone is loud or don't keep track of their children: maybe they have a really bad day, maybe they lost someone etc. Sure there are loud people that are loud because they don't care, they have a culture to be. we in the north of Europe, like Sweden, tend to be more reserved and less out going than some countries in more passionate Southern European countries like Italy. Different languages can sound different to other language speakers. Ie Arabic sounds, while not hostile, very angry to me.

By trying to understand my own reaction to why I feel the need to ask someone to tone it down, and by trying to understand why objectively the person(s) actually are disturbing me and others (look around) I can get a better basis.

By taking "what is this person's situation at" (is it a couple arguing with each other etc) i can probably make a decision if I really should involve myself and ask them to chill or if that only will be throwing wood on the fire.

If I still find myself needing to talk to him/her/them  I'd think my wording through to sort out what I want out of the message. I'd weed out what expresses my frustration of having my day disturbed and keep what I want to convey.

Doing all this has the benefit out avoiding confrontation that generates hostility as much as possible for me.

The risk it inhabits is that as I don't allow myself to  say "what I really think of that idiotic girl talking at 100db with her friend on phone without smurfing realising she got her smurfing earphones blocking her own volume, instead screaming at the rest of us pin this train about her boyfriend Adam (geez Adam, just break up already, she don't have the looks for the looks without brain! Argh)" is this: I can end up having a bad day as I never get to ventilate my own frustration. I need to be mindful of that risk and not allow my day to be ruined.

- stoneshank

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 07:05:07 PM
IMG_7886.jpg
* IMG_7886.jpg (Filesize: 254.31 KB)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:26:44 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Donations

Operational Funds