Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your opinion: Which is more useful as a locking blade: Plain or serrated?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
So, I want to make a multi-blade knife. It's going to have a plain and a fully serrated blade in it. My question is, which is more useful as a locking blade? The plain or the serrated? Since this is an opinion thread, please post your reasoning. Thanks!

Charles

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Serrated, because you might be using it to cut tougher stuff?  :think:
I dunno really, since I’ve never had a serrated Blade.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
I like having both blades on a knife. Typically, they are both liner locked, or both slipjoint. If you have a choice, I´d say that it depends on the intended use of the blades. For most practical purposes, the lock should be on the plain edged blade because that´s the one you´ll be using for stabbing piercing.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
It depends what you want to do with the knife, whichever blade is most likely to be used under duress should probably have the lock.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
General camping and garage duties. Opening packages. Some fish filleting and possibly dressing a rabbit or two. Cutting thick nylon rope. Whittling down a walking stick or marshmallow skewer. Cooking. Eating a steak or pork chop.

Basically, I'm building a custom SAK with two blades, and I get to choose which blade I make the locking blade. I get two choices, and any of these can be made locking (though the clip point requires welding). My options are:

Clip point (Swissbuck and evo soft touch)
Fully serrated
Partially serrated
Plain spear point

If I use the clip point, then I can have clip point and one serrated blade next to each other, giving me a third backspring tool in a Wenger knife.

If I use two spear points, I'll have to keep them both on the outer layers. And I'll sacrifice a bottle opener and can opener, and have to use a combo tool... which is fine, but not as robust a pry tool or as good a can opener as the regular tools.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD