Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Micarta SAK! (or IAK) with M390 blade!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Micarta SAK! (or IAK) with M390 blade!
on: April 17, 2020, 05:50:37 PM
Just noticed this interesting thing at Lamnia dot com. MKM Knives Malga 6, natural canvas micarta MKMP06-NC
MKM = Maniago Knife Makers, a bunch of the best Italian knife makers - Lionsteel, Viper, Fox etc so this is going to be a seriously well built SAK type thing.
M390 blade! Micarta scales! Torx screws! A FORK!!

Sadly I can't get an image to appear here no matter how microscopic I make it, so I will provide a link instead - https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/52484/tools/mkm-knives-malga-6-natural-canvas-micarta
(I have nothing to do with the shop or the manufacturer, I just thought it would be of interest to Sak nuts such as you lot.)
edit - oh look the image works, after all
malga.jpeg
* malga.jpeg (Filesize: 16.24 KB)

us Offline Pop

Re: Micarta SAK! (or IAK) with M390 blade!
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:05:06 PM
I'm definitely down for one.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:06:42 PM
Now that is interesting - time to look away, I don't need it...... :whistle:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:26:17 PM
Purdy!  And I love substituting something useful (the fork) for the (useless for me) small blade. 

How much? 

(Yes, I'm trying to avoid going to their site and watching my resistance crumble.)  ;)

Edit:  I just caved and went to their site.  For others similarly weak, I can now tell you that these are $112 plus about $17 shipping. 

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 07:13:39 PM
126 euros!

Yes, it's a lot if you compare it to a Spartan. But if you want to buy an m390 blade - any m390 blade - you'll be close to 100 euros, with or without micarta scales etc.
Since I often find myself carrying a small SAK of some kind, plus a nice folder, this looks like an attractive combination of the two.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 07:53:39 PM
Been wanting a premium steel SAK and this one is really cool. The toolset doesn’t do it for me though.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 08:17:55 PM
Those tools look familiar, did MKM just put on the blade and the scale on a lesser known brand multitool?

However, I do like the interesting blade offering and the scale, and it will be great if somehow we could retrofit Vic tools into this chassis.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 08:50:08 PM
Found it, pa_strunk was having another thread about Mecury 913 and I looked onto their website and found this version at 20 Euro:

https://www.mercurycut.it/en/product/528/multi_purpose_knife_-_6_implements.html

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 08:50:42 PM
It is very unlikely that they bought some cheapo Czech or Chinese CAKs and tarted them up with a nice blade and new scales. For a start these guys take real pride in their knives - the whole point of the MKM brand is to showcase Italian craftsmanship. Italian knives at the moment are second to none - if you compare a G10 Spyderco to a G10 Lionsteel Kur for instance, you will be blown away by the machining on the Kur scales. (Admittedly, Spyderco is more adventurous with their steels, but the Italians whip them in the design and attention to detail.) All I'm saying is these guys take pride in what they do and they would not contaminate one of their beautiful folders with some garbage parts made by someone else.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 08:56:25 PM
It is very unlikely that they bought some cheapo Czech or Chinese CAKs and tarted them up with a nice blade and new scales. For a start these guys take real pride in their knives - the whole point of the MKM brand is to showcase Italian craftsmanship. Italian knives at the moment are second to none - if you compare a G10 Spyderco to a G10 Lionsteel Kur for instance, you will be blown away by the machining on the Kur scales. (Admittedly, Spyderco is more adventurous with their steels, but the Italians whip them in the design and attention to detail.) All I'm saying is these guys take pride in what they do and they would not contaminate one of their beautiful folders with some garbage parts made by someone else.

I knew the story about MKM, and would not doubt their workmanship should be good as well.  But I do find the awfully close resemblance between the two curious, and would love to see the comparison of the two if someone have both in the future(following is the screen cap of the 20 euro Mercury Range 913 Olive).

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 10:55:55 PM
Sorry Comis, our posts overlapped by a few seconds and I was busy making and eating a lasagne until now... (it was lovely!)
Mercury is one of the companies in the MKM consortium so, yes, it looks like they took that model and upgraded it. But what upgrades! As long as the tools do what they're supposed to and aren't made of garbage metal that instantly bends and rusts, it doesn't bother me that they originate in an already existing model. The main upgrade, the M390 blade, is what sets the MKM Sak-alike from the rest of the crowd. The lovely scales and torx screws make the whole thing very presentable. I hope it's as good as it looks!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 03:42:58 AM
M390 steel, and micarta handles. Both nice.   The fork--I mean, COME ON! I have a Light My Fire Spork, a cheap hobo knife, and in many cases, a packet of disposable cutlery lifted from a fast food chain.  Pen blade, small screwdriver (like on some SAKs from the '60s and '70s), anything but  a fork!  That and the awl seems crappy compared to those of SAKs; plus since the can opener is the ancient hook design, there is no way to handle a Phillips screw with this knife. Just the big slotted screws hardly anything has in the 21st century.

That being said, I really want to try the Mercury that has a fork. 20EUR; but I wonder how much for shipping?

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 01:29:39 PM
Don't think of it as a fork, think of it as a nose-hair comb !  :D

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 01:51:23 PM
Don't think of it as a fork, think of it as a nose-hair comb !  :D
:rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 04:28:31 PM
 :facepalm:

M390 SAKalike blade sounds amazing.  Micarta scales also sounds amazing.  I'm not sure why I am not more excited.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 03:04:47 AM
Check out my “Super Soldier” in the Mod section.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87232.0.html
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 03:48:51 AM
Been wanting a premium steel SAK and this one is really cool. The toolset doesn’t do it for me though.

:iagree: Give me the Pioneer toolset and I will buy three  :ahhh

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 04:42:05 AM
:iagree: Give me the Pioneer toolset and I will buy three  :ahhh
That’s why I had mine built.
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 08:32:30 AM
It's great to see that Maniago blade can be coaxed into a SAK with all the Swiss components! Even if it takes some grinding, etc.
Pipedreams' Super-Soldier looks like a 10-out-of-10 winner to me!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%