Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New model: Victorinox Skipper Pro

us Offline Frailer

Re: New model: Victorinox Skipper Pro
Reply #60 on: June 16, 2018, 03:49:38 PM
Get in line! :twak:

:D

For a First Mate at a reasonable price, I’ll get in line and wait patiently.  :whistle:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #61 on: June 16, 2018, 04:11:11 PM

I am basically just looking for an inexpensive model with a sacking needle, as I need that slab due to the machining. I also need the sacking needle, but that shiild have gone without saying.  :D

Thanks again.

we have a nice subforum for modifications and SAK tinkering here, under the name "The Mod Squad" with cool tutorials, "how-to" threads and very interesting modding examples  :salute:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,16.0.html
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

pl Offline u99

Reply #62 on: June 16, 2018, 06:43:39 PM
Where were this exhibitions ?

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #63 on: June 16, 2018, 07:44:12 PM
Where were this exhibitions ?
In France at the Eurosatory.

pl Offline u99

Reply #64 on: June 16, 2018, 07:51:31 PM
Thx  :cheers:

00 Offline PiterM

Reply #65 on: July 06, 2018, 08:37:28 PM
I’m absolutely getting this new one!!!

But... the old one is no slouch too! Like the shackle key and pliers (for safety pins and more). Carry mine all the time on me when sailing:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #66 on: July 07, 2018, 01:09:18 PM

But... the old one is no slouch too! Like the shackle key and pliers (for safety pins and more). Carry mine all the time on me when sailing:

(Image removed from quote.)

Excellent pic! I like that SAK  :like:  and that pendant too  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: July 07, 2018, 01:15:32 PM

You've got a Panerai cap?! :sa:

Now I'm envious ^^

00 Offline PiterM

Reply #68 on: July 07, 2018, 10:55:10 PM
You've got a Panerai cap?! :sa:

Now I'm envious ^^

Well... actually... yeah, it’s a legit cap from Panerai sailing race. Got this one as a gift and decided to give it to a proper use. It’s my sailing cap  :salute:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: July 07, 2018, 10:58:22 PM
Omfg!

Got myself one from Tissot, Omega and Breitling, but will look for one of these now!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #70 on: July 07, 2018, 11:56:26 PM
I have no idea what Panerai is. :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: July 08, 2018, 08:59:01 AM
GOOGLE! :whistle:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: July 08, 2018, 01:51:25 PM
Ok, it’s some sort of watch brand. :tu:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: July 08, 2018, 02:34:02 PM
A high end one.
Mostly known for diving their diving watches with levered crown.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: July 08, 2018, 04:47:39 PM
Ah, so like Casio, then?   :whistle:

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: July 08, 2018, 05:57:54 PM

00 Offline PiterM

Reply #76 on: July 08, 2018, 11:42:28 PM

It's a sailing cap brand. But they also make some promo watches, like this... ;)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: July 09, 2018, 12:44:59 PM

It's a sailing cap brand. But they also make some promo watches, like this... ;)

Can you send me your cheapo promo watch? :angel:
I'll trade you for a Seiko.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #78 on: July 10, 2018, 01:10:59 AM

Is that an ALM custom 93mm SAK? - I liked his work!!

00 Offline PiterM

Reply #79 on: July 10, 2018, 01:17:46 AM
That’s ALM indeed...

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #80 on: July 17, 2018, 07:40:52 PM
Vic photos show the marlinspike getting used as a shackle key by sticking the tip in the hole, which is kinda misuse. I can see a ton of these spikes getting bent or snapped using it for such, especially given the high count of used riggers knives with messed up tips I see.

From Swiss Knife Shop's Skipper Pro page:

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #81 on: July 18, 2018, 06:33:27 AM
I think I might spring for the Helmsman someday just for collecting purposes  :) On a side note, why don't they make a regular Skipper with an added compass and magnifying glass and call it the Navigator or Admiral? That would be cool  :dd:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #82 on: July 20, 2018, 09:46:14 AM
Vic photos show the marlinspike getting used as a shackle key by sticking the tip in the hole, which is kinda misuse. I can see a ton of these spikes getting bent or snapped using it for such, especially given the high count of used riggers knives with messed up tips I see.

I agree Cody, quickest way to snap the spike off.  The new Skip Pro doesn't have a shackle key though, maybe Vic could change one of the other tools for it?

00 Offline PiterM

Reply #83 on: August 23, 2018, 03:13:01 PM
Just got Skipper Pro in my hands (no pics yet, maybe on weekend). Well, it's totally (and I mean TOTALLY) different knife made for different purpose than regular Skipper. So...

What about a quick comparison of regular Skipper vs Skipper Pro from my humble perspective as a certified sea sailor, lake sailor with family and even sailing instructor for a couple of seasons back in the days.

Regular Skipper: I'd say that for lake sailing or for a small family-sized sea sailboat for crusing along the coast (so say up to 40 ft) the standard Skipper makes more sense! You have pliers (great for small safety pins and smallest shackles), there is a shackle key suitable for 95% of shackles used on such yachts, and the flat marlin spike is actually great for ropes up to 8-9mm in diameter and usable for up to 12mm diameter. Also the tip-loop on a spike is nice feature if you want to finish a thick line with a nice braid made with thin houseline. One handed blade is not really necessary when sailing on a lake for pleasure, there is rarely a heavy storm which you need to go through with nearest marina days away. On most lakes (except biggest lakes in Canada I guess) you can get safely to either marina or just wild bank within 2-3 hours max, usually well below 1 hour. Same for crusing on a sea along the coast.  So with a weather alarm in your phone or barometer - it's easy to escape from a storm. If you get caught - it's usually your fault of not paying attention to instruments and (AND, not OR) clouds and weather around. If you're 2-3 days from a solid ground... well, things are different.

Skipper Pro: imagine a 50ft crusing yacht, or a 80ft long 2-mast sailing ship. Or something even bigger. Well, there is not much use for small pliers as safety pins are usually massive. On a 100ft boat that 'regular' shackle key is useless on most shackles except the one on a ship's bell, as most have bolts 10mm or more in diameter, so the flat part is not gonna fit your tiny shackle key anyway. You need a proper adjustable wrench or full-size pliers. And finally ropes... they start at 10mm and can go up to 1" in diameter easily, so you need a SERIOUS MASSIVE marline spike, locking one. Just like on the Pro. And finally one hand opening... YES, on a sea it's quite common that you NEED to operate with one hand in heavy weather (the other is JUST for your safety, even if you're roped to the deck, which is in such a case mandatory). And it can last for days. Been there done that. My longest stay on deck in storm was about 30 hrs on a 60ft yawl. So it happens.

On both knives I really like cap lifter (especially useful when spending free time in marina, lol!), flat screwdriver (bigger and locking on Pro) and small screwdriver on can opener, which works great for philips screws.  I ABSOLUTELY love the in-line Philips on regular Skipper... why oh why they didn't put one on the Pro? There is enough space opposite/below the massive marlin spike (IMO). Cork-screw... useless (as a concept) except that it holds mini-screwdriver, which can be handy if you wear glasses (like me) and nearest eyeglass repair shop is separated from you with miles of water. Sometimes 1000 miles, haha! Anyway, it could be handy, but I can easily do without. Awl - great, useful. They skipped the thread slot on Pro but I guess it's stronger that way and PRO is made to be stronger as you have little chance to ship it  for repair. Tweezers, toothpick... I don't care for that, always carry my Classic SD in a dopp kit.

To sum up - both are great tools for what they were designed. If you're lake sailor or crusing with family in Greece from island to island - get regular and enjoy all the tools and lower weight & slimmer profile. If you sail on a bigger sailboat of if you work on a ship (sail or machine) the Skipper Pro is obviously a more appropriate choice and will be much more useful on deck. And last but not least... if you enjoy sailing and collecting knifes at the same time - get both of course! Just like me :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:34:42 PM by PiterM »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #84 on: August 23, 2018, 03:28:47 PM

I have no idea what a cap is.  :facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: August 23, 2018, 03:29:57 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: August 23, 2018, 03:30:52 PM

Well, to be fair... How in the heck would you release that shackle?!

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline PiterM

Reply #87 on: August 26, 2018, 11:21:18 PM
As promised... some pics of standard Skipper vs Pro...

overall - all tools exposed:

Marlin spikes

I'll be missing that tiny screwdriver on a Pro...

Another cool feature on a regular Skipper

But... there is only one Pro!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:04:03 AM by PiterM »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #88 on: August 28, 2018, 12:49:56 AM
Great report - Thanks PiterM -     :tu:     Good to hear from a true sailor as opposed to just a collector/theoriser !!   :cheers:

I saw one in the Vic shop in Lucerne on Saturday and was very excited !! (..but did not buy!  :( )
I did take a pic - But my camera is not with me right now - Hopefully will upload soon !!

I hope this model does well for Vic !

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #89 on: November 02, 2018, 07:46:28 AM
Since they never brought the CT carbon into production, I'm trying to contain my excitement. Especially, since that is only a photoshop image (see red circles, and the pivot region of the spike looks odd too). Anyway, what do you reckon is in the green circle? Photoshop error? Something new?
On the up side, it looks like its going to have 2 eyelets :tu:.

I was wondering about those circles on the marlin spike too and wondered what on earth they were
Apologies if everyone knows this now - But I recently found out they really are there and they are rivets
- The MS is made in two halves and riveted together - Can't think where I learnt this
- I hope:
1. It's correct
2. Y'all don't know this already

What was the query/speculation over the eyelets?  ??? - I did not get that !!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:15:23 AM by Huntsman »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD