Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you remove burnt discoloration from Swisstool pliers?

us Offline mashguy4077

I picked up a 98 style Swisstool recently. Tools look hardly used at all but the pliers have a discoloration on them. Maybe from being burnt?

They are a very light goldish color. Maybe someone was heating up a piece of metal and the pliers got to close to the heat source.

So my question is there something that will remove the discoloration?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How do you remove burnt discoloration from Swisstool pliers?
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:22:20 PM
I picked up a 98 style Swisstool recently. Tools look hardly used at all but the pliers have a discoloration on them. Maybe from being burnt?

They are a very light goldish color. Maybe someone was heating up a piece of metal and the pliers got to close to the heat source.

So my question is there something that will remove the discoloration?

Some of my "older" Spirits and Swisstools also have this goldish colour, and most of them are NIB, So I would leave it as it is.

I'll try and find some pics that show this, or a topic were I mention this gold colour (I'm sure I've mentioned this here in the past, just don't remember in which topic  :think:).

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 10:26:04 PM
Found one of the posts were I mention this gold colour here.

Maybe a stupid question (and maybe it's been asked before), but does anybody know why there's this "gold" look on the side of the pliers on some Spirits (see the one on the left in the pic below).  And how come the "new" Spirits don't seem to have this anymore ? And can this be used to determine the production date from your Spirit ?

And are there any changes made to the Spirit over the years, not in the tool loadout, but real changes, like the plierhead on the Swisstool for example ?

(Image removed from quote.)

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 10:29:36 PM
Same here, mine have that same goldish color. I'm guessing that is a patina & I will not be trying to remove it from mine, but if you have the boundtos, well that is better than having the caint helpits. You might succeed with some rouge & a buffing wheel. :dunno:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 10:41:35 PM
Looks like I mentioned it more than once ...  :facepalm:

Like in this topic:

Just bought myself a Swisstool today  :D.

And man, this is one sweet tool (feels a bit like my original '94 Leatherman Supertool, which I love  8)). 

I also love the "gold" shine on the side of the pliers, this thing is so cool ...  :drool:

And also in this topic:

Since long time ago, I always bring SAK everyday. And only in the last three years I began to combine plier based MT with my SAK. I use Wave as my first plier based MT. But because it's not comfortable in the hand (lots of sharp edges when used in a closed mode) finally I sell it and I switched to Charge TTI. This model is much more comfortable in the hand, but it's still pinching my palms when I use the pliers.

Soon I also bought a Spirit, so I had a chance to compare the two in the same time. Until eventually about a few days ago I had to sell one of them, I chose to sell the Charge TTI, because the Spirit in my opinion is more suitable for my needs, I think this misalignment does not affect the function from the Spirit. Lucky me, I got the Spirit with only little misalignment.

In my observations from some store, The Spirit with noticeable misalignment is the Spirit with the Vic Shield logo located above the Victorinox.

I've also noticed this, I bought my three "butterblade" Spirits at the army surplus store that I've mentioned before, and they had been there for quite some time apparently, and nobody wanted to buy them.  Here in Belgium, everybody knows a Leatherman, but nobody knows the plier based tools from Victorinox, and when I show them one of mine, they still call it a Leatherman ::).

I bought my first Spirit there since it was on sale, until then I've always thought of the Spirit as being a "weird looking copy of a Wave", but since it was on sale I had to try one myself, and when the person behind the counter placed it in my hand, it was love at first sight ...  I liked it so much I returned a couple of days later and bought the two remaining Spirits and the Swisstool.  Actually, I just bought the Swisstool and one Spirit, both at a discount price, and they gave me the Spirit Plus for free, because they had been lying there for a couple of years and nobody wanted them, go figure ...

Anyway (I will get to the point now  :whistle:), those three "butterblade" Spirits are all with the Vic shield next to the name Victorinox (I also noticed that the side of the plier pivot point appears to be a bit gold/copper colour on the old ones, while it's the same metal colour as the rest of the tool on the "new" ones), and they have less or even no handle misalignement compaired to most of the "new" ones I've checked out while I was on vacation (can't find any Spirits/Swisstools in stores here in Belgium anymore, or at least not that I know of ...).

On the other hand, my BO Spirit also has the Vic shield next to the name Victorinox (can't say if it also has the gold/copper colour, since its BO ...  ::)), and it has the most misaligned handles of all my Spirits, so I guess the "old Spirit = less chance on misalignement theory" is not entirely correct ...

I knew I mentioned the gold thingy in the past  :D.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 10:43:18 PM
Pics "proudly hosted on photobucket" .... yeah right  :twak:.

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 10:45:52 PM
Dang I had no idea. I just assumed they had gotten lightly burnt.
Thank you all for the help  :woohoo:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 10:59:08 PM
Dang I had no idea. I just assumed they had gotten lightly burnt.
Thank you all for the help  :woohoo:

Glad I could help mate  :salute:.

Like I said, I kinda like the goldish colour on some of them  :drool:.

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD