Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic small pliers not opening smoothly anymore :(

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Vic small pliers not opening smoothly anymore :(
on: May 30, 2018, 09:49:38 AM
I made a mistake and attempted to cut a hard wire with the small pliers of my beloved SwissChamp. The "teeth" of those small wire cutters deformed a little making the pliers open and close in steps and not smoothly. I fixed this to some extent by squeezing/pressing down each tooth with another pair of pliers (hoping to flatten the deformed area) but still, there I can feel the bumpy feeling during opening and closing.

This is a small matter, I know, but OCD keeps kicking in  :pok: . I even think about selling this one and buying another one that opens smoothly now...  :think: :whistle: :facepalm:

Any ideas how I can make it the way it was and make it open/close like cutting butter?..  :cry:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Vic small pliers not opening smoothly anymore :(
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:05:07 AM
I would just open and close the pliers several dozen times, in the hope that the protuberances wear themselves down and become smoother. There's no way you can reach the damaged edges with a metal file as they are a) tiny b) inaccessible.

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 03:12:47 AM
Peen them down on a flat surface with a steel drift. Use some tape on it so as not to cause indents and it should flatten the soft steel

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 04:13:00 AM
Something similar happened to my Deluxe Tinker a couple years back. I fixed it by smoothing the nicks out with a needle file.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:41:58 AM
Opening and closing like there is no tomorrow helped a bit, but after a while the improvement stopped.

I tried peening a couple of times, though keeping the pliers open and stable on a hard surface was kind of an issue. Using a file is something I did not try tho...  :think: :think: Gonna give that a try, thanks everybody!  :salute:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 05:19:00 PM
Don't you have a lifetime warranty on the knife? Why not send it back and get it repaired or replaced?

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD