Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need to understand "Rebar Love"

Douglas · 511 · 15951

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Need to understand "Rebar Love"
on: June 03, 2018, 10:01:26 PM
As many of you know I am a diehard fan of the SwissTool and Spirit.  Many of you even joined me in my Challenges for them both.  During those and my Surge ( a quality Leatherman that I do now carry from time to time) many kept lamenting how they missed their Rebars and even went excitedly back to them as soon as the challenges were over.  I wish to understand this devotion for what apears on the surface to be a much less refined tool, so I'm asking if any one would like to join me for a Rebar 30 day challenge starting July 1st
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Need to understand "Rebar Love"
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 10:07:07 PM
Rebar is just a smaller ST300 .  I used my 300 for a week..couldn't get back to the Charge fast enough.  Think I have a Rebar around here somewhere do I would be down for a Rebar challenge. Might break me of snubbing non OHO tools in my EDC.
:like:    :MTO:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 10:30:17 PM
Rebar Love :think:

Wasn't that a song by Golden Earing?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 10:31:32 PM
Thanks Pacu,
Hope you find your Rebar I made need some support.  I love my outside opening tools. I'm afraid of the withdrawl symptoms.  :whistle:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 10:32:33 PM

Glad to see the POW cought so Quikly.  :cheers: :cheers:
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Pacu

Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:41:55 PM
Thanks Pacu,
Hope you find your Rebar I made need some support.  I love my outside opening tools. I'm afraid of the withdrawl symptoms.  :whistle:

I think if we put our regular carry up on top of the fridge we will be inclined to carry the Rebars  ::) ::)  :D
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:28:40 AM
For me, any "love" I have for the Rebar derives from its excellent utility to size ratio.  Lots of utility in a small, easy to carry package.  I do muchly prefer outside opening tools (Swisstool Spirit), but the Rebar has a lot going for it.  The Spirit and Rebar battle for my daily carry (when not engaged in a Challenge).

I have a Rebar badge, but might be interested in doing another 30 days.

Maybe was could have a Stupid Badge for doing the same 30 Challenge more than once.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:32:32 AM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 12:43:40 AM
If scissors are added then the Rebar is just about as good as it gets in an EDC for me :cheers: I carry many different MTs these days but when the Rebar first came out I carried it for a few years and in the days before I added scissors to it I only paired it with an Executive and was very happy with only it :tu: I am a fan of the Supertool and this smaller version of the ST was right up my alley :like:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 01:03:33 AM
Thanks PN, it'll be good to have you in another of my challenges.  :salute:
Poncho dose that mean I can count you in too?  :pok: :pok:
It's like getting the gang back togather again.  :ahhh  :D  :ahhh
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 01:05:24 AM
Thanks PN, it'll be good to have you in another of my challenges.  :salute:

I did say "might".   :)  I have to survive the ongoing SOG PowerAccess Deluxe Challenge first.  My current rating of the PAD is 5/10.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 06:00:53 AM
Douglas,
I think you're approaching the issue backwards. You look at the Rebar and presuppose the swisstool is superior(more refined) and subjectively judge from there.  :think:

Maybe you could approach using the Rebar with the idea that 'all you need is all you need.' The Rebar is half the price of a swisstool and very rugged/functional considering the size.  Comparing the swisstool to the rebar is fundamentally wrong in my opinion. They are not even made to compete with eachother at any level of the MT realm. I realize that you have swisstool goggles on from so many years of loving it, but not everyone thinks that way. That is why not everyone trashes all their other tools for a swisstool. :tu:

My biggest reason for carrying a Rebar(outside of challenges) sometimes is that the loose tolerances make it more reliable than a swisstool at my job(common to be working around dust for hours a day at times). The rebar can be easily modded and disassembled for cleaning, where the swisstool cannot. This means refinement is sometimes a negative for me personally. So, without me jabbering anymore, maybe try not to compare a rebar to a swisstool? Then the answer to the question of why some love the rebar can be realized. :cheers:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:46:31 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 06:56:42 AM
I did the rebar challenge and it was easy breezy. Really made me ultra familiar with the tool and understand it's usefulness and small size. It's a great mix of the two. It's about as small as you'd want to go with a deluxe and capable tool as it is.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 11:53:55 AM
Prior to getting my first Rebar, I had a lust for SwissTool Spirit. After I got my Rebar, I suddenly don't find the Spirit that desirable after looking at both's pliers.  :whistle:

I'm inclined to join a 30-day Rebar challenge as my BO Rebar will be arriving soon. But I'm sure it will ace any daily challenge I face in my urban life (mainly cutting paper and apples).

I'm keen tho if I will like the ST300 over the Rebar. I'll be getting an ST300 soon also and will decide which plier-based MT I will EDC.

In the meantime, I'll be following this thread. :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 12:05:58 PM
To understand Rebar love, all you have to do is go through the Rebar Owner's Club, and the 30 day Rebar challenge thread.
One of Leatherman's best offerings, to this day. :like:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 02:07:49 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :tu:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 02:14:58 PM
Rebar is just a smaller ST300 .  I used my 300 for a week..couldn't get back to the Charge fast enough.  Think I have a Rebar around here somewhere do I would be down for a Rebar challenge. Might break me of snubbing non OHO tools in my EDC.

so you "think" you have a rebar "around here somewhere"... hmmm... you sound like you do not care much about that gem... Mmay... Maybe you'd like to be an ubergenerous person and give that Rebary away in a GAW?  >:D :D :D :D :pok:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 06:31:12 PM
HarleyXJ's daily challenge is in July.  Can't do both. :facepalm:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 08:56:42 PM
Question... can a modded Rebar join in?
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 10:42:43 PM
Does it say Rebar on the handles?  :D

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 11:50:36 PM

Absolutely.  This is all about me coming to understand as many of the facetts that make the Rebar so apealing as possible.  Ease of modding seams to be a reoccuring reason so join in and show off that Mod.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 12:07:05 AM
Douglas,
I think you're approaching the issue backwards. You look at the Rebar and presuppose the swisstool is superior(more refined) and subjectively judge from there.  :think:

Maybe you could approach using the Rebar with the idea that 'all you need is all you need.' The Rebar is half the price of a swisstool and very rugged/functional considering the size.  Comparing the swisstool to the rebar is fundamentally wrong in my opinion. They are not even made to compete with eachother at any level of the MT realm. I realize that you have swisstool goggles on from so many years of loving it, but not everyone thinks that way. That is why not everyone trashes all their other tools for a swisstool. :tu:

My biggest reason for carrying a Rebar(outside of challenges) sometimes is that the loose tolerances make it more reliable than a swisstool at my job(common to be working around dust for hours a day at times). The rebar can be easily modded and disassembled for cleaning, where the swisstool cannot. This means refinement is sometimes a negative for me personally. So, without me jabbering anymore, maybe try not to compare a rebar to a swisstool? Then the answer to the question of why some love the rebar can be realized. :cheers:

G-man,
You are correct in your assertions about my bias.  :facepalm:  My bias toward the Vic Swisstool and Spirit are exactly why I want to do this challenge.   :whistle:
 With out putting my Vics away  :ahhh  and actually taking up the Rebar  :tu:  I could never hope to understand it's allure.  One of the many great things about life here at MTo is the exposure to others and how they see the world of MTs differently.  ???  I look forward to a journy of discovery with the Rebar, good times with friends, new friends, and new ideas.  Hope you can join in or at least continue to add your always insightfull commentary.  It's always appreciated (BY ME AT LEAST).
Thanks and continued Blessings Brother.  :salute:
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 01:20:04 AM

G-man,
You are correct in your assertions about my bias.  :facepalm:  My bias toward the Vic Swisstool and Spirit are exactly why I want to do this challenge.   :whistle:
 With out putting my Vics away  :ahhh  and actually taking up the Rebar  :tu:  I could never hope to understand it's allure.  One of the many great things about life here at MTo is the exposure to others and how they see the world of MTs differently.  ???  I look forward to a journy of discovery with the Rebar, good times with friends, new friends, and new ideas.  Hope you can join in or at least continue to add your always insightfull commentary.  It's always appreciated (BY ME AT LEAST).
Thanks and continued Blessings Brother.  :salute:
Anytime and thank you for the kind words! :cheers:

I won't be doing a Rebar challenge(will be doing a different one), but will watch you and the others with interest as you get to know the Rebar.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 02:32:14 AM
Congratulations for finding and receiving your Rebar, and I do understand wanting to understand why it is favored by several fans on this forum and elsewhere.
Yes, the best way I have learned about any of my MTs is to use it, and a challenge is an excellent way to go about learning.

I have thought a Vic Swisstool or Spirit  would be in my future, then suffered price shock and also, unable to locate one to actually handle to appreciate the refinement that has been used to describe.

I started my MT experience with a WAVE, but just not lovin it, then found a ST300 for under $40, liked it, then respected it via 30 day event.  Told the Rebar was identical and smaller, so I found one at bargain price, used for a 30 day, and found it a great alternative to have with me when dedicated tools were not handy.   Now I have 4 Rebars, 2 traveled with me, a BO in bag in truck cab or on belt, and a Stainless in my suit case.

A Coyote just because it is pretty and on sale, and a new Heritage just purchased because sheath and bargain price and handy gift card.

Scissors not a big deal for me, I edc a 58cm Vagabond.   Also, have a Micra near, or a Vic Climber.

I will give your consideration.  I have just started a new journey, no longer have a smartphone, and not certain I have method to include photos via my current internet connectivity tool. With that said, I will follow along for sure and be a fan of those committed to making the attempt.

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 02:37:29 AM
Thanks LC.  Look forward to your additions to the challenge even if you don't find a way to join us.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 03:37:38 AM
For me, any "love" I have for the Rebar derives from its excellent utility to size ratio.

Ding-ding-ding! I think that is why those of us who reach for the Rebar do so. I have a Surge. I like it. Ok, I think the blade holder is poorly executed, as I bent yet another t-shank in it over the weekend working on something, but the rest of it is good. But it's big, it's bulky, it's HEAVY.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 05:28:59 AM
For me, any "love" I have for the Rebar derives from its excellent utility to size ratio.

Ding-ding-ding! I think that is why those of us who reach for the Rebar do so. I have a Surge. I like it. Ok, I think the blade holder is poorly executed, as I bent yet another t-shank in it over the weekend working on something, but the rest of it is good. But it's big, it's bulky, it's HEAVY.
Yep. The Rebar is pocketable. It really is capable for the size and weight. In comparison to other tools with similar loadout. This in a round about way is making me remember I would really like to have a Vic multi...  :think: :tu:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 08:04:23 AM

Absolutely.  This is all about me coming to understand as many of the facetts that make the Rebar so apealing as possible.  Ease of modding seams to be a reoccuring reason so join in and show off that Mod.

Does it say Rebar on the handles?  :D

Yes it still does - thanks! I shall give it due consideration. I have the Rebar VX I might send into the fray.  :multi:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 12:33:05 PM
I concur with Poncho, GLBM and others about size/weight/utility/and cost ratio.

Back in September I bought my boxed Rebar with leather sheath through Amazon. It has been on my belt daily ever since. Thats work and play. So for all intents and purposes,  I've completed a 10 month challenge. Is there a badge for that? I don't care. Ive no plans to abandon its use. I just carry what works.

Yes, a scissors a la PST II would make it perfect, but I have a Micra on my Keychain anyway, so I'm good

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 01:38:20 PM
I have handled or owned at least 100 different multitools from more than a dozen brands, and to me the Rebar is in the TOP 5 podium,
after more than 25 models I am confident that the Micra and Rebar are the two best and best value (bang for your buck) models that Leatherman makes  :multi:

Oftentimes I replace my pirit by a Rebar on my belt, and never ever have I been let down.  ;)
It just works, it is pocketable, tough, well built and cleverly designed. An excellent do it all, jack of all trades multitool, affordable and time proven.

The main drawback to me (lack of Scissors) is naturally and easily overcome by pairing a Micra, 58mm SAK or other Victorinox with it,  :tu:
I just say try it out for you and if you don't like it sell it, it will probably be a few dollars lost and a lot of knowledge gained at worst,
or you'll fall in love like I and others did and it will become a cornerstone of your EDC  :salute:

I even sold my ST300 as the Rebar did everything than the ST but was friendlier to the pocket, the wallet and the EDC system.   :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 01:59:56 PM
HarleyXJ's daily challenge is in July.  Can't do both. :facepalm:

Yep that is what I will be doing as well :whistle: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00