Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need to understand "Rebar Love"

Douglas · 511 · 16199

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Need to understand "Rebar Love"
Reply #120 on: July 08, 2018, 05:05:03 PM
 :hatsoff:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #121 on: July 08, 2018, 05:09:48 PM
Update: Have been faithfully carrying the Rebar everyday. Here's a pic of me using it to attach a new bicycle seat.
20180706_175721.jpg
* 20180706_175721.jpg (Filesize: 51.63 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: July 08, 2018, 05:58:54 PM
Why do people love the Rebar?  Maybe some people love rusty tools?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: July 08, 2018, 06:43:24 PM
Rusty? What rust? Mine don't (yet)...  ???
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #124 on: July 08, 2018, 06:49:21 PM
I've seen little surface spots on some of the tools with the Rebar, but that has never caused any problems with usage. A little cleaning and oiling every now and then is a good thing. Even Swisstools become useless without cleaning (the tolerances are so tight that dust, lint, and dirt cause the tools to be difficult of almost impossible to open).
Maybe Singh doesn't keep his Rebar clean?  :pok:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: July 08, 2018, 09:08:24 PM
Some very great uses DT :tu: :like:

I really do hate losing anything :facepalm: I have misplaced a flashlight recently and it is bugging me to death :ahhh it has to be in the house but where I have no idea :bnghd: This is been a great read so far though :salute: :like:

Only one word to change here Ponco.  For me it's not flashlight It's REBAR!!!!! :poh: :poh: :poh: :poh: :poh: :poh:
:bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd:

I hate not being able to properly participate in my own challenge.  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

D_T and everyone else I can't say thanks enough for keeping it going.   :salute: :salute:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #126 on: July 08, 2018, 09:13:29 PM

What's with the drive by cheap shot    :twak: :twak: :twak:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #127 on: July 08, 2018, 10:21:48 PM
If stainless rusts, the owner is not taking care of the tools.

My rebar, ST3, Wave and Surge have all been used in the rain and just wiped down later that day and light oi applied, not any rust ever.  So very confused by comment unless using in and near salt water. That stuff is cruel.   
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #128 on: July 09, 2018, 01:47:24 AM
If my Rebar gets rusty I just soak it in WD-40 and clean with a brass bristle brush.  :tu: I think people love it because it runs cheaper than most MTs (50-60 usd) without cutting corners on QC, plus it has that classic look like the PST. Just think of it as a PST3. Plus Replaceable Cutters (which btw work better than a lot of regular wire cutters) 8)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:57:10 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: July 09, 2018, 02:17:12 AM
In the short time I had mine I have to admit to being impressed by how wide the pliars opened up.  The only MT I have that opens wider is my Surge.  The cutters didn't do well on small copper stranded wire but when it counted they did do a good job on cutting the fish hook from my finger although they suffered some damage in the process.  I was able to file it down so the pliars opened smootly again.  Of corse I would have replaced them in time and that is a nice option.
Never saw any sign of rust.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #130 on: July 09, 2018, 02:40:29 AM
..The cutters didn't do well on small copper stranded wire but when it counted they did do a good job on cutting the fish hook from my finger although they suffered some damage in the process.  I was able to file it down so the pliars opened smootly again.  Of corse I would have replaced them in time and that is a nice option...
I think the Rebar's cutters are better for bigger stronger things you need to cut. Zip ties, hard wire, I cut some small fishing hooks up with it. The replaceable cutters on the Rebar are the only ones I've seen eat through a seal on a semi trailer in one bite.  It's almost like having a full on pair sidecuts!
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: July 09, 2018, 01:09:52 PM
Day 9

Near the end of the first third of this - a little bit challenged - challenge, I present a shot of two Rebars for the price of one.
69201813737.jpg
* 69201813737.jpg (Filesize: 97.74 KB)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:13:04 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #132 on: July 09, 2018, 02:00:11 PM
Day 9

Near the end of the first third of this - a little bit challenged - challenge, I present a shot of two Rebars for the price of one.

:ahhh the Chess Rebar team  :D :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: July 10, 2018, 08:57:57 AM
Rebar Chess :rofl: you'd need 32 LMs - Micras as pawns etc. :D

Day 10

After a recent, not too emboldening experience with the sheath that comes with the SOG Power Access Deluxe, it is now time to extol the largely unsung virtues of the sheath that came with the (BO part of the) Rebar VX, although I bought this one used, so no idea if it is stock.

The LM sheath features a velcro fastener worthy of the name, Molle attachment and an internal separate nylon pocket into which one can wriggle an entire bit set (nice for the bit driver I incorporated in the Rebar VX), while still leaving enough space for the Rebar. I still need to experiment with storing a bit driver extender though.

Less bulk could be achieved by storing the bit set in a separate pouch, of course, at the cost of space as measured along the belt ;)

610201884648.jpg
* 610201884648.jpg (Filesize: 144.6 KB)
610201884711.jpg
* 610201884711.jpg (Filesize: 81.69 KB)
610201884723.jpg
* 610201884723.jpg (Filesize: 105.35 KB)
610201884741.jpg
* 610201884741.jpg (Filesize: 95.72 KB)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:47:24 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #134 on: July 10, 2018, 11:35:35 AM
Nice ones DT :dd: :like: I have the molle sheath with the bigger grommet and I have been using it for close to a year now and except for adding a snap it is holding up very well :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #135 on: July 10, 2018, 05:52:55 PM
Nice set up there D_T.  I really like your VX mods, they seem to step up the Rebar to a new level.
Dr.  McCoy

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: July 11, 2018, 08:31:36 AM
Thanks gentlemen :cheers:

Yup, I'm pretty happy with how the VX has turned out. I might need to trim down the thickness of one tool in one handle a little - the hold of the pivot in its holes in that handle is a little bit marginal, although in practice this doesn't show yet. Otherwise, it packs a lot of punch for its size.

Day 11
None of the above would have been possible without a good basis in the original Rebar. Arguably this is the current LM offering that comes closest to the original PST, in construction, size and intent. I invite all to take a look below, where I show off the VX's counterpart in colour, that has the original tool loadout (albeit in BO here). LM even managed to recreate the feel of the PST's original sheath, although they did change the material from real leather to synthetic (pity, that). The sheath looks and feels solid enough, but the tool rattles slightly, and of course the sheath's form factor and choice of material makes it bulkier than strictly necessary for the Rebar.
611201881516.jpg
* 611201881516.jpg (Filesize: 64.44 KB)
611201881532.jpg
* 611201881532.jpg (Filesize: 69.25 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #137 on: July 11, 2018, 11:40:57 AM
Yes I do prefer the old school leather sheaths :salute: Excellent pics today of the SS on BO :dd: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #138 on: July 11, 2018, 11:41:22 AM
Or is this BO on SS :think: ??? :ahhh

:D

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #139 on: July 11, 2018, 11:56:54 AM
Dunno, I get confused myself at times  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh but thanks :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:58:19 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: July 12, 2018, 01:29:24 AM
Yup, I'm pretty happy with how the VX has turned out. I might need to trim down the thickness of one tool in one handle a little - the hold of the pivot in its holes in that handle is a little bit marginal, although in practice this doesn't show yet. Otherwise, it packs a lot of punch for its size.

Is it the handle with the bit holder, and if so what have you thought about trimming down.  How about some close ups of the issue while you're at it.

Or is this BO on SS :think: ??? :ahhh

:D

I don't know either but I  :like: it. :tu: :tu:
Dr.  McCoy

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #141 on: July 12, 2018, 08:49:24 AM
Thanks! Well, it's not actually an issue in practice. Also, I can't show you without taking the thing apart, if even then (the pivot is just a little bit too short to accommodate all the tools and still fully extend into the holes in the handle in locking engagement with the latter - the engagement is only partial). It's in the handle opposite the large bit holder - see pic. I have thought of thinning the awl and/or the large screwdriver. Probably only the awl, by a tenth mm or so - that shouldn't impair its function.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:47:10 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #142 on: July 12, 2018, 08:52:55 AM
Day 12

Comparing sizes today. Size does matter, after all, if not always in the way you think when reading this first line :D

Pitting the Rebar against the ST300 is somewhat akin to comparing a mouse and an elephant. However, for all its relatively diminutive size, the Rebar already in its original version comprises all essential tools in a relatively compact, pocketable package. (I have been known to pocket a Rebar. This is not possible with an ST300, unless you wear cargo pants/shorts or dungarees, which I avoid at the office).

Nice ones DT :dd: :like: I have the molle sheath with the bigger grommet and I have been using it for close to a year now and except for adding a snap it is holding up very well :tu: :like: :like:
Thanks Ponch -I take it you mean the 2nd sheath in the pic?

The last pic shows how the sheathed ST300 is comparable in bulk to the sheathed Rebar WITH bit set. Goes to show how compact a Rebar is.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:49:53 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline george1

Reply #143 on: July 12, 2018, 02:56:15 PM
Thanks! Well, it's not actually an issue in practice. Also, I can't show you without taking the thing apart, if even then (the pivot is just a little bit too short to accommodate all the tools and still fully extend into the holes in the handle in locking engagement with the latter - the engagement is only partial). It's in the handle opposite the large bit holder - see pic. I have thought of thinning the awl and/or the large screwdriver. Probably only the awl, by a tenth mm or so - that shouldn't impair its function.

l had this issue as well and it was bugging me. l solved it by replacing the pivot with a longer one from a Fuse - it's about 1 mm longer and allowed me to use the anti clump washers between all the tools.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #144 on: July 12, 2018, 04:44:01 PM
Thanks george1, that is a tip I might be following up :tu:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #145 on: July 13, 2018, 03:24:20 AM
Thanks for the photos D_T it helps to see how the mod works and a great size comparison.  george1 sounds like the perfect solution to D_T's issue.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #146 on: July 13, 2018, 03:36:55 AM
Great pics DT the close ups are great :like: and yes like the 2nd sheath in the pic :tu: I have been known to pocket a Supertool :o :D

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #147 on: July 13, 2018, 03:50:36 AM
D_T you're going to have company again thanks to Gerleatherberman.   :woohoo:
Another package arrived at my place today, ??? unfortunately delivered by the Postman not Chuck Norris (what a great guy). :2tu:

I managed to snag my Mora back from Danni  :tu: and opened it up only to find a heavy bundle of ... :whistle:

After getting through all that I found myself face to face with a Rebar  :climber: :climber: and G-man's sense of humor. :facepalm: :facepalm:

and best of all  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Showed all this to Danni and she responed with now you'll have to get a chain for the chain.  :facepalm: :facepalm:
Now that's a real
 :megaslap: :megaslap:
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #148 on: July 13, 2018, 03:51:51 AM
THANKS
GERLEATHERBERMAN
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #149 on: July 13, 2018, 03:59:11 AM
Wow very cool Doug :like: Very nice of GLBM as well and a :hatsoff: to him :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!