Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need to understand "Rebar Love"

Douglas · 511 · 16178

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Need to understand "Rebar Love"
Reply #480 on: August 11, 2018, 09:01:32 PM
Thanks Nix and Poncho.
G-Man love the Radio Flyer an I understand the flat blade screws are more "Ol' Shool"  but WHY would you change a perfectly good phillips?   :whistle:
It dose look good though.  :like:

So DAY 32
Rebar on the Rocks
(Image removed from quote.)
Great pic, Douglas! :like:

Why change the scews? I want it to look older than it is. :facepalm:

I'll use the screws I took out on another project. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #481 on: August 12, 2018, 05:27:56 AM
Day 30: Post 1/3.
In an attempt at acquiring an epic action shot, I bumped the pliers on the high-speed coarse grinding wheel. :facepalm:

Used a finer grinding wheel to even the  plier tips flat into a slightly more blunted shape (similar to the Spirit). This actually seems like an improvement in regards to the kind of work I do.
20180811_213905-1.jpeg
* 20180811_213905-1.jpeg (Filesize: 108.16 KB)
20180811_214050-1.jpeg
* 20180811_214050-1.jpeg (Filesize: 121.72 KB)
20180811_214138-1.jpeg
* 20180811_214138-1.jpeg (Filesize: 67.84 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #482 on: August 12, 2018, 05:29:33 AM
Day 30: Post 2/3.

Softened the edges of the tips with three files. Coarse, medium, and fine diamond to finish. Then polished the tips to a mirrot finish on the cloth high-speed buffing wheel.
20180811_214408-1.jpeg
* 20180811_214408-1.jpeg (Filesize: 99.98 KB)
20180811_214926-1.jpeg
* 20180811_214926-1.jpeg (Filesize: 125.49 KB)
20180811_215011-1.jpeg
* 20180811_215011-1.jpeg (Filesize: 180.87 KB)
20180811_215209-1.jpeg
* 20180811_215209-1.jpeg (Filesize: 106.61 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #483 on: August 12, 2018, 05:30:23 AM
Day 30: Post 3/3.
The Rebar (with wave pliers) has been a faithful companion for 30 days and has not disappointed.
Thanks to Douglas, D_T, and everyone else who participated, as well as everyone who monitored the challenge. It was very interesting, enlightening, and we had some good laughs.
The Rebar is a fine tool, and did everything it was supposed to. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about it. It is a perfect mid-range multi tool and deserves the "love" that many show towards it. IMO of course.  :)
20180811_215254-1.jpeg
* 20180811_215254-1.jpeg (Filesize: 111.61 KB)
20180811_215449-1.jpeg
* 20180811_215449-1.jpeg (Filesize: 88.24 KB)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:26:53 AM by gerleatherberman »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #484 on: August 12, 2018, 09:51:02 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Congratulations on finishing the challenge GLBM and again thanks for helping out Douglas with his  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I agree with your assessment, a good, compact and not too heavy all-round multitool. Moddable for those that want it to go the extra mile.

Sorry for the slight mishap with the pliers tip but at least it prompted a mod of itself. And thinking about it, the extra contrast might help in locating/positioning the tip in darker environments :tu:

Now, who's left...?
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #485 on: August 12, 2018, 10:09:24 AM
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #486 on: August 12, 2018, 10:43:47 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Congratulations on finishing the challenge GLBM and again thanks for helping out Douglas with his  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I agree with your assessment, a good, compact and not too heavy all-round multitool. Moddable for those that want it to go the extra mile.

Sorry for the slight mishap with the pliers tip but at least it prompted a mod of itself. And thinking about it, the extra contrast might help in locating/positioning the tip in darker environments :tu:

Now, who's left...?
Thank you, Sir! :cheers::hatsoff:

I didn't think of the contrast. May prove to be useful at some point. :)

I think Matt_Guyver(sp?) was the only other in it that hasn't finished, but he apparently lost interest after a week or so and dropped out. :think:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #487 on: August 12, 2018, 11:05:34 AM
I just checked, Matt's last post here was 30 July.

Matt, if you're around, thanks for joining  :cheers: and sorry you couldn't complete it...  :salute:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #488 on: August 12, 2018, 12:34:48 PM
Congratulations to everyone that finished the challenge  :cheers:
This has been a interesting challenge to watch :tu: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #489 on: August 12, 2018, 01:15:15 PM
Despite having posted in this thread earlier I hadn't followed from the start so reading through it now was awesome.

Congrats to those who made it through. Sorry to those who had to deal with fish hooks and what not.   :dwts:

Special shout out to gerleatherberman for hooking setting Dougie up with a replacement Rebar.   :salute:
Here, have a badge mate.   :cheers:

edit for typo...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:58:39 PM by zoidberg »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #490 on: August 12, 2018, 01:54:34 PM
Congratulations on your badges guys  :cheers: :like: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #491 on: August 12, 2018, 02:08:45 PM
Congratulations to everyone that finished the challenge  :cheers:
This has been a interesting challenge to watch :tu: :like: :like:

Thank you, W! :cheers:
It was definitely a dramatic(in a good way) challenge.  :ahhh :)

Despite having posted in this thread earlier I hadn't followed from the start so reading through it now was awesome.

Congrats to those who made it through. Sorry to those who had to deal with fish hooks and what not.   :dwts:

Special shout out to gerleatherberman for hooking setting Dougie up with a replacement Rebar.   :salute:
Here, have a badge mate.   :cheers:

Thank you, zoidberg! :cheers::hatsoff:

:rofl:
Douglas sure did get hooked on this challenge. :D

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #492 on: August 12, 2018, 08:01:01 PM
Now that everyone has compleated the Challenge I'll lay out my comments.  First this has been a very interesting challenge.  Several had to drop out before we even got started so it looked like it would just be D_T and I.  While warming up to the Rebar for the upcoming challenge 3 days early I literally got hooked while fishing  :facepalm: and had to call on the Rebar to save the day by cutting the treble hook off the lure.  Once again at the ER it had to step in and again cut the hook because the hospitle didn't have any side cutters. Then two days in to the actual challenge I lost my Rebar. :facepalm: :facepalm: Still not sure exactly what happened there.  The amazing Dutch_Tooler kept things going all by himself :tu: :tu: untill Gerleatherberman (in true MTo fassion) stepped in and saved the cahllenge by sending me my new surprize  :mail: :mail: custom engraved Chained Rebar.  So ten day in, the challenge was finally back on track and after his generosity G-Man became a very welcome edition.  Alonge the way MTMatt was a welcome participant,  I'm not sure exactly what happened but Matt, thanks for your contributions and you were missed.  Now to the Rebar itself.  All the good stuff has already been said by D_T and G-Man and I must agree.  I don't have any thing bad to say about the Rebar it is a very capable carry for the price.  I can see why it is a popular choice.  I Like the replaceable cutters, (great for cutting fish hooks) the pliar head designe is excelent with a truely wide span.  The agressiveness of the file is great, the phillips is stout and well formed to prevent slippage the knife blades hold there edge very well.  But for me I have to say I still find the whole insde tools system fiddley and frustrating.  It works well and dose protect the tools from collecting pocket lint, and dirt etc... so it has it's advantages I just find it frustrating.  One person (myself) finding one feature frustrating dose not in any way prevent me from now understanding "Rebar Love" so mission accomplished.  Thanks everyone and special thanks to D_T and G-Man.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #493 on: August 12, 2018, 08:12:00 PM
Congrats on the badges fellas and it was fun following along !  :cheers:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #494 on: August 12, 2018, 09:36:41 PM
:salute: :hatsoff: :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #495 on: August 12, 2018, 11:14:50 PM
I want to get a Rebar now...

Especially after spending a week with my old Leatherman Kick when I was home in Denmark.

Simplicity and ruggedness simply works!
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #496 on: August 13, 2018, 01:27:23 AM
Now that everyone has compleated the Challenge I'll lay out my comments.  First this has been a very interesting challenge.  Several had to drop out before we even got started so it looked like it would just be D_T and I.  While warming up to the Rebar for the upcoming challenge 3 days early I literally got hooked while fishing  :facepalm: and had to call on the Rebar to save the day by cutting the treble hook off the lure.  Once again at the ER it had to step in and again cut the hook because the hospitle didn't have any side cutters. Then two days in to the actual challenge I lost my Rebar. :facepalm: :facepalm: Still not sure exactly what happened there.  The amazing Dutch_Tooler kept things going all by himself :tu: :tu: untill Gerleatherberman (in true MTo fassion) stepped in and saved the cahllenge by sending me my new surprize  :mail: :mail: custom engraved Chained Rebar.  So ten day in, the challenge was finally back on track and after his generosity G-Man became a very welcome edition.  Alonge the way MTMatt was a welcome participant,  I'm not sure exactly what happened but Matt, thanks for your contributions and you were missed.  Now to the Rebar itself.  All the good stuff has already been said by D_T and G-Man and I must agree.  I don't have any thing bad to say about the Rebar it is a very capable carry for the price.  I can see why it is a popular choice.  I Like the replaceable cutters, (great for cutting fish hooks) the pliar head designe is excelent with a truely wide span.  The agressiveness of the file is great, the phillips is stout and well formed to prevent slippage the knife blades hold there edge very well.  But for me I have to say I still find the whole insde tools system fiddley and frustrating.  It works well and dose protect the tools from collecting pocket lint, and dirt etc... so it has it's advantages I just find it frustrating.  One person (myself) finding one feature frustrating dose not in any way prevent me from now understanding "Rebar Love" so mission accomplished.  Thanks everyone and special thanks to D_T and G-Man.
Well said, sir. Well said. Thank you  :cheers: and you're welcome. :hatsoff:

Congrats on the badges fellas and it was fun following along !  :cheers:
Thank you, Steve! :cheers:

I want to get a Rebar now...

Especially after spending a week with my old Leatherman Kick when I was home in Denmark.

Simplicity and ruggedness simply works!
I have seen them under $50 recently(I got one unused in leather sheath on goodwill's ebay page for $30). Don't know if that is the case where you're at, but it is worth having one. :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #497 on: August 13, 2018, 12:46:12 PM
this challenge ha been awesome and a nice taste of the kindness, good vibes and mentality of this forum  :like:
Thank you all!!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #498 on: August 13, 2018, 03:39:36 PM
this challenge ha been awesome and a nice taste of the kindness, good vibes and mentality of this forum  :like:
And Thank YOU for keeping tabs on us. :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #499 on: August 13, 2018, 09:37:29 PM
And Thank YOU for keeping tabs on us. :cheers:

your hand doing well GLBM?  :tu: You need a good strong grip to put the new plier head on your new Wave + to the test!!  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #500 on: August 14, 2018, 04:52:25 AM
Thank you, TP! :cheers:
The hand is doing fairly well. Still some pain when extending the index finger, but grip is back to normal.

That Wave challenge is going to be something wild. One of the biggest contestant groups I've seen so far. :ahhh

Are you thinking about getting a Wave and joining?  :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #501 on: August 14, 2018, 12:21:21 PM
Thank you, TP! :cheers:
The hand is doing fairly well. Still some pain when extending the index finger, but grip is back to normal.

That Wave challenge is going to be something wild. One of the biggest contestant groups I've seen so far. :ahhh

Are you thinking about getting a Wave and joining?  :cheers:

I'm afraid not,  :P the Wave is really not one of my favorites (I know, heresy!!  :sa:) and I had three, now I'm down to one, which is used on occasion,
and I am happy with rotating and I love variation, so changing tool, knife and SAK is one of my favorite things of this hobby

I'd also like to try the Wave+ for the sake of trying but if I had the money I'd get a MP800, Center Drive, SOG PowerPint, SOG Powerplay, Poweraccess or PAD before... :whistle:

But there's already enough participants to make it possibly the biggest 2018 Challenge of this forum!  :tu:
My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #502 on: August 14, 2018, 05:02:44 PM
Understood, TP! :cheers:

I've actually been wanting to try out the MP800 or Center-Drive, but I keep joining challenges. :rofl:

Glad you're interested in keeping an eye on the Wave challenge. Your input is alwayd appreciated! :cheers:

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #503 on: August 17, 2018, 06:00:13 PM
WOW I've been gone a while. Sorry guys, I really meant to finish the challenge but I started a new job as a jailer and I was distracted for a couple weeks during training. :ahhh But, I'm  back!! :D
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #504 on: August 18, 2018, 12:11:19 AM
Welcome back Matt  :salute:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #505 on: August 18, 2018, 01:26:31 AM
Welcome back Matt.  :waving: Great to here all is well.  :tu: We missed you and I'm sorry you weren't able to finnish the challenge  :ahhh but I think you got to have some good experiances.  :cheers:  You'll get another chace at it and many more.  :salute:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #506 on: August 18, 2018, 02:24:24 AM
Good work on the new job, Matt! That definitely takes priority over MTs. :tu:

You could always start again  now and some of ua will keep an eye out to see how it goes. :cheers:

Just if you feel like it though. There is a huge Wave challenge coming up. That is a another great challenge to try out, if you have a Wave. :)

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #507 on: August 18, 2018, 09:04:07 AM
Thanks everybody! As it happens I do have a Wave...
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #508 on: August 18, 2018, 12:39:37 PM
Would love to have you join us MattGyver  :tu: :like:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 03:24:03 PM by Wspeed »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #509 on: August 18, 2018, 03:04:38 PM
:tu:

Have a Wave you say?  What surfboard did you use? :pok: :)

J/K.
If you can, please join us. But, it is fully understandable if you can't, because of the new job or whatever else. We'd enjoy it if you watched the challenge, and gave your input on it. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%