Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need to understand "Rebar Love"

Douglas · 511 · 16267

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Need to understand "Rebar Love"
Reply #90 on: July 04, 2018, 01:09:51 PM
OH poor Rebar!  :o :ahhh
best luck in finding you Rebar Doug!   :tu: :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: July 05, 2018, 09:09:39 AM
Day 5

A loose thread end on my shorts caught my eye this morning. Never travel without scissors, is my motto, and my only scissors on this trip are on the Rebar VX. Of course one could use the main blade for this, but scissors provide a more precise and clean cut for thin threads (unless you use the nightstand for a cutting board  >:D).
6520189124.jpg
* 6520189124.jpg (Filesize: 142.2 KB)
6520189236.jpg
* 6520189236.jpg (Filesize: 164.19 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #92 on: July 05, 2018, 11:53:22 AM
Sorry to hear this Doug :facepalm: I really do hope you find it and sorry to hear that the hook fiasco turned into an ER visit :oops: Best of luck buddy :salute: :tu:

and great pics DT :tu: We are still rooting for you and hope that the challenge goes well for you :tu: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #93 on: July 06, 2018, 12:49:14 AM
Dang, Douglas!

Sorry for your troubles, brother. Hope things settle out and a new, awlsome, Rebar makes it's way into your pocket soon!

Best wishes,  :cheers:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #94 on: July 06, 2018, 01:20:20 AM
Howdy folks!

Just wanted to chime in here to share my love for the REBAR. It has been my go to since last December or so exclusively. It’s just a damn fine tool that has what I require although I feel they could have done better on the file. Perhaps on future versions.

SAW

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: July 06, 2018, 01:21:08 AM
Well said, Sawman.  :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #96 on: July 06, 2018, 02:24:12 AM
sawman,

Just out of curiosity, what about the Rebar file bugs you?

I personally find it overly aggressive, much like the newer Vic files. Some people really like aggressive files, but I find them hard to use sometimes, because the sharpness of the cutting lends it to walk astray every now and then. MT files are too small for aggressive filing. IMO The slot cut-out is limiting as well. It wasn't even necessary. IMO as well.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline sawman

Reply #97 on: July 06, 2018, 04:14:00 AM
sawman,

Just out of curiosity, what about the Rebar file bugs you?

I personally find it overly aggressive, much like the newer Vic files. Some people really like aggressive files, but I find them hard to use sometimes, because the sharpness of the cutting lends it to walk astray every now and then. MT files are too small for aggressive filing. IMO The slot cut-out is limiting as well. It wasn't even necessary. IMO as well.
I think you summed it up quite well. I think something closer to the PST 2 IIRC would suit more purposes :tu:
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #98 on: July 06, 2018, 04:16:21 AM
Thank you, sawman!
The PST2 file is one of my favorites too. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline sawman

Reply #99 on: July 06, 2018, 04:27:23 AM
Jogging my memory of the good ole days when there were more Charges to choose from....

Makes me so wish LM would get back to more variety on some of their other tools as well. Knifeless REBAR is great but there are unlimited configurations they could be offering.

Who wants to see a Wave+ with the 3D Phillips and flat drivers like the original? Or at least make availalable more long bits like the MUT :salute:

Hmmmmm
SAW

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: July 06, 2018, 05:42:00 AM
Unfortunately I never got the chance to try out the file.  I did at least check it out and I think I would have liked the agressivness of it but I also realy like the diamond file side on the Wave and Surge.  I do agree that I don't think I would have liked the slot in it at all.  During the time I got to use mine befor loosing it I really liked the pliars agressive bite and how wide an opening they have.  I also liked the shape and robustness of the phillips.   
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: July 06, 2018, 05:51:17 AM
Douglas,

I feel your pain in losing your Rebar. I just lost a Buck knife I JUST bought, the first day I carried it. Not life changing, but sucks nonetheless.  :ahhh

Sawman,

I wish LM (or someone) would make a "build an MT program". I would pay extra for a fully customized tool from the factory that was warranted.  :cheers:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: July 06, 2018, 05:57:35 AM
+1 +1 +1 +1................................................................ :salute:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: July 06, 2018, 07:56:29 AM
+1 +1 +1 +1................................................................ :salute:

+1... fully agreed. Although Loki does his best to provide original parts, so tool transplants are at least possible without involving (sacrificing) another tool.

As to the file, I had better experiences with the Wave one so I transplanted one of those into the Rebar VX. The single-cut side of the Rebar file is difficult to steer.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: July 06, 2018, 12:24:31 PM
Day 6

On the way home and waiting for the ferry.

No, I'm not driving that big rig balancing on the pliers :D
662018122118.jpg
* 662018122118.jpg (Filesize: 176.37 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #105 on: July 06, 2018, 02:53:04 PM
Looks warm there......

Nice Rebar!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #106 on: July 06, 2018, 06:12:12 PM
I failed on this challenge.   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: I thought I had a Rebar but it was a camo blast instead. Could have swore I had a Rebar.  :think: :think:
:like:    :MTO:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #107 on: July 06, 2018, 07:32:10 PM
Could you do the discontinued model challenge? If you haven't done it already. :)

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: July 07, 2018, 03:56:36 AM
Well Pacu,
At least you didn't loose yours between the drive way and the bedroom.

Honestly I think mine got left under the hood of my son's truck when we were working on his lights and fell out some where between our place and his when he drove home. :facepalm:

We'll give it another go Pacu when we both have Rebars.  At least here, we can both get a preview of what to expect.   :tu:
Dr.  McCoy

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: July 07, 2018, 11:11:56 AM
Day 7

Back home and a little tired of yesterday's drive (German motorways allow for fast travel between the occasional snarls but are tiring). Record of longest stretch of uninterrupted summer days about to be broken in the country where the trip started, Denmark.

So, for the moment, a steam punk shot... maybe more to come today, but not sure.

67201811325.jpg
* 67201811325.jpg (Filesize: 252.67 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: July 07, 2018, 01:19:31 PM
Day 7 cont'd

Well, what do you know... yesterday on the ferry I thought I'd lost my watch (the one I got from my wife for my 40th)  :cry:. While unpacking after the drive I heard a sound and traced it to where said watch had fallen between two suitcases. The pin holding the wristband to the watch had bent and lost hold. I'm happy I found that watch again  :ahhh

Bending the pin straight was no problem even with the Rebar. I compared it with the SOG PAD - its compound leverage pliers allow the user to apply a lot of force, which in this case however proved a tad too much as the pin's outer sleeve is of relatively thin-walled construction and was crushed a little, thus blocking the inner studs. Had to apply some force at 90° offset to release the inner studs and let the spring do its job again. Here, with the Rebar pliers it is much easier to dose the force to just the amount required, at the cost of maximum applicable force of course.

Then I used my Rebar VX's non-standard jeweler's screwdriver to re-insert the pin, lodged in the wristband, into its receiving holes in the watch housing. I'm glad I added this often derided tool :D
672018114620.jpg
* 672018114620.jpg (Filesize: 157.41 KB)
672018114723.jpg
* 672018114723.jpg (Filesize: 163.62 KB)
672018114835.jpg
* 672018114835.jpg (Filesize: 125.09 KB)
67201811495.jpg
* 67201811495.jpg (Filesize: 146.12 KB)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:25:45 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #111 on: July 08, 2018, 02:42:45 AM
D_T. Those spring bars never act right after they've been bent and straightened. Learned that from experience. I would definitely, as a watch guy, recommend purchasing a cheap assorted spring bar kit. I have seen them as low as a few dollars before and you get a lot of different sized spring bars.
If you notice the band not seeming to feel snug between the case lugs, then the repaired spring bar is close to coming out. And that never ends well for you or the watch. :ahhh

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: July 08, 2018, 11:12:09 AM
Thanks GLBM, I'll shop around for the assortment you mention. On superficial inspection though, the ends seemed springy enough and I have made sure they were well inserted in the holes - no problem so far one day after the repair ;)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: July 08, 2018, 11:32:23 AM
Meanwhile, on Day 8, a short Sunday morning bike tour to get the pump up to revs again after some admittedly lazy days  :cheers:

The Rebar did not see any action, except for posing, to which it seems to be taking a liking :D
682018112759.jpg
* 682018112759.jpg (Filesize: 163.91 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: July 08, 2018, 03:23:24 PM
Thanks GLBM, I'll shop around for the assortment you mention. On superficial inspection though, the ends seemed springy enough and I have made sure they were well inserted in the holes - no problem so far one day after the repair ;)
Just found an offer in the Bay for € 5.00 incl. tool and shipping...  :o - and pulled the trigger - thanks for the tip GLBM  :salute:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #115 on: July 08, 2018, 03:27:52 PM
Just don't drop the box!

Happened to me while moving places a year ago.
I don't think I'll ever sort them out...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #116 on: July 08, 2018, 03:45:33 PM
Some very great uses DT :tu: :like:

I really do hate losing anything :facepalm: I have misplaced a flashlight recently and it is bugging me to death :ahhh it has to be in the house but where I have no idea :bnghd: This is been a great read so far though :salute: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #117 on: July 08, 2018, 03:56:46 PM
Just found an offer in the Bay for € 5.00 incl. tool and shipping...  :o - and pulled the trigger - thanks for the tip GLBM  :salute:
:cheers:

Awesome. That is a beautiul watch.  :)

Best of luck with the Rebar challenge. :salute:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: July 08, 2018, 03:57:39 PM
Just don't drop the box!

Happened to me while moving places a year ago.
I don't think I'll ever sort them out...
:rofl:

sorry, I couldn't resist. But thanks, I'll take the utmost care  :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: July 08, 2018, 03:58:45 PM
:cheers:

Awesome. That is a beautiul watch.  :)

Best of luck with the Rebar challenge. :salute:

Thanks! I'd hate to lose it again...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30