Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Soothing the pivot

Offline delicalover

Soothing the pivot
on: June 05, 2018, 02:17:18 PM
I recently picked up a tinker from Target and I love it. My only problem is the can opener and bottle opener are very gritty when opening. I oiled them and they're still pretty gritty. Is there any way to make them smoother?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Soothing the pivot
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 02:20:04 PM
I recently picked up a tinker from Target and I love it. My only problem is the can opener and bottle opener are very gritty when opening. I oiled them and they're still pretty gritty. Is there any way to make them smoother?
A warm bath in soapy water can help - open and close the tools while submerged.  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 02:20:54 PM
Try a warm soapy water soak and scrub?  :tu:

(mags beat me to it.  :rofl: )
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 02:28:45 PM
Gritty pivots on a brand new knife?  Take it back. :tu:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 02:46:42 PM
Recently I almost started a very similar topic, but my experience is that after thorough cleaning - soaking, scrubbing with soap and toothbrush, good rinsing, oiling afterward - the tools all develop a gritty phase and I have no idea why. It's the same no matter if it's a brand new SAK or an old one. And the grittiness moves around, wanders from one tool to another and after a while of opening-closing them it slowly disappears in the end.  ??? It's a mystery to me. And really, I had this at least on a dozen SAK's.

(Okay, actually I have a theory, but no proof: as the toothbrush I use for scubbing was actually used to clean my teeth, maybe there are still some toothpaste particles left in it, but I can't see or feel any on my fingers, and it's been my tool cleaner brush for many years, it's been soaked and rinsed hundreds of times. And also undermining this is that in some cases I only used a  nailbrush that never saw toothpaste, only soap.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 02:49:28 PM by Exeter »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD