Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kutmaster and Realtree insane pricing

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Kutmaster and Realtree insane pricing
on: June 08, 2018, 09:06:52 PM
Kutmaster Wrench Head
$13.34 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V4RVMA/
$11.99 (!!!) on Walmart.com. Free shipping there as well: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kutmaster-Wrench-Head-34-Function-Multi-Tool/658715627

Team Realtree hunting tool $15.75: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IEV43JQ/

For the price, I just couldn't pass up a Wrench Head. I dunno if it's better than the regular Multimaster, but I figure if I don't like it I can buy both. The bit storage in the handle is what sold me on it, to be honest. Hopefully it's decent for a $12 tool. The Kutmaster Multimaster can be had all over eBay for $28.88, but the Klein Tools version is $80+.

Charles.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:21:58 PM by ChopperCharles »

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Kutmaster and Realtree insane pricing
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:12:44 PM
I bought the three USA Multimasters (at one point, there was a nearly identical Chinese version sold under their Mountain Quest label) in my collection (Caterpillar blunt nose, needlenose, and some oddball made for a military contract that's a  needlenose with a tanto blade and strap cutter) for about $15. They were all sold as  factory seconds, but I saw nothing wrong with them. Kutmaster stuff seems to come up quite regularly as factory seconds, so just keep your eyes out. Most of mine are, and range from no noticeable mistakes to some big stuff (like a rope knife with two holes for the shackle drilled on one side.

As for the Klein, you're probably just paying for the name.

While it is a bit rough around the edges (keep in mind, it's been unchanged for over three decades), the Multimaster I feel is the original heavy duty tool and one of the best on the market still.  Just don't cut hard wire with it--they told me that dinged cutters are not covered by the warranty, and rebar wire does ding the cutters on these--I know firsthand.

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 09:20:59 PM
I bought the three USA Multimasters (at one point, there was a nearly identical Chinese version sold under their Mountain Quest label) in my collection (Caterpillar blunt nose, needlenose, and some oddball made for a military contract that's a  needlenose with a tanto blade and strap cutter) for about $15. They were all sold as  factory seconds, but I saw nothing wrong with them. Kutmaster stuff seems to come up quite regularly as factory seconds, so just keep your eyes out. Most of mine are, and range from no noticeable mistakes to some big stuff (like a rope knife with two holes for the shackle drilled on one side.

As for the Klein, you're probably just paying for the name.

While it is a bit rough around the edges (keep in mind, it's been unchanged for over three decades), the Multimaster I feel is the original heavy duty tool and one of the best on the market still.  Just don't cut hard wire with it--they told me that dinged cutters are not covered by the warranty, and rebar wire does ding the cutters on these--I know firsthand.

I'd want to be cutting stranded copper wire, ROMEX solid copper wire, and MIG welding wire. Can it handle all that?

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 04:03:13 AM
Well, I just got my Kutmaster Wrench Head in today, and... the cutters don't cut anything. They say no hard wire? Well, they don't cut soft wire so you might as well. They failed to cut any of the stranded wire I threw at it. Granted, I didn't expect the 24ga to cut, but the 16, 18, and 12ga are common and I expected it to cut all of that. It smashed it all, it didn't cut any of it. It also cannot cut a regular zip tie. This is sad, I just used the screwdriver and it's one of the best in a multi tool. The T-handle option is really convenient and useful. But without working cutters, these are going in the return bin. I really want to love this tool. The screwdriver alone makes me want to put it in my tool bag for motorcycle trips. But I need to be able to cut wires and zip ties. The cutter is half the functionality of the pliers, and the pliers are the primary function of this tool.

Did I get a bad one? Or do they all completely smash all gauges of stranded wire. Here's some 12ga. :(

Charles.

IMG_3997.jpg
* IMG_3997.jpg (Filesize: 337.47 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56