Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pub or Tern or UKPK or.... for UK

gb Offline BePrepared

Pub or Tern or UKPK or.... for UK
on: June 08, 2018, 10:03:47 PM
I'm looking to get a folder that is UK legal.  I don't need one, just want one...

I'm looking for something I can pocket carry around the home for when I need to cut stuff, and not worry too much if I forget to empty it from my pocket when I go to the shops.  But I'm unlikely to want to carry it outside in general.  I live in UK, London...

I currently EDC a Squirt, so I already have a small blade with me most of the time.

I've decided that I like the Kershaw Pub.  It does not look too aggressive, or look like a pointy knife.   :tu:

I've also thought about a Spyderco Byrd Tern, but it does look like a knife....

And the Spyderco UKPK also looks nice, but again, looks like a knife....

The Spyderco's have a nice choil design, but I'm not going to use the knife for any heavy stuff.  For some reason I prefer the eye-hole in the Tern to the UKPK.  But this all based on pics from the internet.  I also lean toward the 'leaf' rather than than 'drop point' design.

And Boker nano?

I know the answer.... buy all 4   :facepalm:

But does anyone have any comments of suggestions on relative merits of each?  Or pics of some of these relative to a Squirt?  Or other recommendations?

Any advice appreciated!   :salute:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Pub or Tern or UKPK or.... for UK
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:21:08 PM
I think the right answer would be a Victorinox Spartan or Tinker.

I've had a Tern,and a UKPK variant. The lock up on either failed to particularly impress me. I love the idea of the Pub,but it's a lot of money for very little blade.

An entry level SAK punches far over it's weight as a knife,and adds smurfloads of utility,as well as being very people friendly!

Or,to quote Taxidad, just carry a locking folder. If the police want to cause you trouble,they'll find a reason regardless of what your carrying!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 10:27:12 PM
Spyderco Squeak, Urban or Clipitool - you can't go wrong with any of those in my opinion. I used to use a lovely folage green UKPK for work, but it was just a little too big and stabby looking for a lot of people - it attracted too many funny looks and comments.

When I'm in the city centre these days, I tend to just carry a Clipitool... nobody batters an eyelid about it, unless it's a compliment or they're just curious.

Anyway, there's absolutely tons of other uk legal knives on the market now, I saw this one today - looks interesting...

https://www.heinnie.com/boker-plus-xs-drop-point

Edit: What about the Manly Wasp Knife that's been mentioned on this site quite a lot recently? I'm tempted to get that one myself...

http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/manly.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:36:32 PM by Fuzzbucket »

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:34:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. 

I like the look of the Tinker --- prefer the phillips to the corkscrew.  I have a Classic on my keychain, but no other experience with SAKs.  Tinker and Minichamp are the two Vics I am being drawn to for various reasons, if I can find a nice one in black alox.... :drool:  But right now I don't want a 'multi' tool as I'm already EDCing a Squirt, Thrunite Ti3, Kershaw PT-2 prybar, and county comm engineer screwdriver in a nice pocket pouch.  So I'm looking for a folder to complement this set-up.

I'll look into the Spyderco squeak and pingo, and that Boker looks nice, but maybe too much 'knife' ?  sigh

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 10:43:00 PM
The spyderco Squeak is one of my all time favourites - it's especially nice when customised with micarta or g10 etc... and it's so beautifully easy to use too, especially as a work knife - you can open, cut, close so quickly, almost in one motion, nobody even gets a chance to notice it let alone object to it.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:45:13 PM
Here's mine...

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 10:45:42 PM
I'm looking to get a folder that is UK legal.  I don't need one, just want one...

I'm looking for something I can pocket carry around the home for when I need to cut stuff, and not worry too much if I forget to empty it from my pocket when I go to the shops.  But I'm unlikely to want to carry it outside in general.  I live in UK, London...

Any advice appreciated!   :salute:

You should try an Opinel. It´s cheap and looks harmless.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 10:48:09 PM
... and with the Urban...

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 10:52:00 PM
... and while I'm at it, the Clipitool too!

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 11:02:05 PM
OK, now you got me... but before I go broke buying any/some of these, what do you all recommend when considering value for money?   :cheers:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 11:04:42 PM
I love the looks and handling of the UKPK, till I use a little force. The blade has annoying radial play. Or, it's not actual play, it's just the springs in the construction allowing the blade to move a little further backwards than its normal, open position if sufficient force is applied (like if you were cutting through wood). I don't think it has any practical consequence, but it feels annoying and "wrong". The Dragonfly has the same annoyance, so it may be something about how Spyderco build (some of?) their backsprings. I strongly recommend handling before buying, as you may not even notice it (since you want a knife for light duty) or it may ruin the impression of the knife.

Since we're throwing in extra suggestions, what do you think of the single layer Böker Tech Tool?

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 11:13:31 PM
Pk70 anyone...?  :think:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 11:18:55 PM
If I were to recommend, as opposed to trying to help you finding the knife it sounds like you want, I'd mention the good, old Victorinox alox Solo. A simple, clean single bladed slip-joint in a no-nonsense, good bang for bucks package.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 11:24:27 PM
Starting this thread, and all the good comments, has forced me to think a little bit harder about what I want/like.

I think I'm after easy opening, one handed if possible, and light duty, and not too knife looking!   ???  LOL   

Since it'll be my first real dedicated folder, I don't want to spend too much on something I may not like --- I'd like to dip into the world of folders to see what they have to offer over and above multi-tool blades.

The Böker Tech Tool looks good, but rather plain and knife like.  But it's in black,and I'd like something in black.  That PK70 is sexy but looks too much 'knife' for me.   :cry:   The Victorinox alox Solo is actually a nice sugestion, since it is a SAK and less likely to scare people if I pull it out.  And the Solo Electrician version looks good.

And still in contention are the Kershaw Pub, which is cheap-ish, and Spyderco Squeak which looks good quality but more expensive.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:30:10 PM by BePrepared »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 11:33:31 PM
As mentioned above, the UK friendly selection has become pretty good. E.g. Heinnie lists 444 knives as "UK friendly carry".  :climber:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 11:35:29 PM
I’d recommend the Pingo. Light, easy to carry, can be opened one-handed and complements a keychain tool nicely.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 08:07:35 AM
I think the Spyderco Roadie is a neat looking knife.  I have a Spyderco Squeak and UKPK and both look stabby.  Even the Squeak in its pink handle.  Nice knives but pointy and could draw unwanted attention.  The Roadie is a bit pricy but the N690 steel is nice.  I've not handle one but I've always liked the looks. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 08:08:11 AM
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 09:16:28 AM
Here's a nice review of the Roadie, with comparison to the Pingo and Squeak (and Ladybug)

https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66549

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 01:09:14 AM
Here's a nice review of the Roadie, with comparison to the Pingo and Squeak (and Ladybug)

https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66549

That was a terrific review.  I have the Squeak and while a nice little knife I really have been intrigued but the Roadie.  I like the forward choil but mostly the blade shape and size however after reading the review I think a bit larger version would be even nicer.  It seems to have a lot going for it and within the UK shouldn't raise to many eyebrows.  The pointy blade of the Ladybug and Squeak just look shabby to me even when I consider their size.  I'm in the US but I can appreciate the need for a blade shape that isn't pointy or for some, threatening looking.  The Pingo isn't a blade that I care for and I don't know why  :think:

Price wise I'd like to see a Roadie 2.  I have a Case Sod Buster small that I like.  Its a good basic knife and comes in a variety of handle colors.  Might be worth a look.           
Esse Quam Videri

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 08:42:54 AM
A friend of mine in the UK carries one of those Boker XS knives on most days; he does admit it may seem aggressive to some people so he occasionally swaps it out with a Boker Tech Tool, the special run that Heinnie did in red seems to scream "tool" rather than knife.
If I had to carry a Spyderco it would be the Urban, probably take the clip off for more stealth.

If I was over there I would likely carry my JE Made mid tech or even get a custom JD Ellis in 3 inch blade. (the one I have now is over the size limit)
Add a SAK to the mix and it would not be very different to what I carry daily.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 05:12:33 PM
Pk70 anyone...?  :think:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

This knife is really nice.  I could see myself carrying and using this one quite a lot. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: June 10, 2018, 05:15:56 PM
If I lived in an area with specific limits, I'm not sure what I'd carry.  Actually thats not true, as I'd likely carry what I carry now, a SAK.  I think my Manger really ticks a lot of boxes.  Maybe a wood scale SAK. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 06:03:38 PM

You should try an Opinel. It´s cheap and looks harmless.

I did, but strange women kept coming up to me in the street and asking: "Is that an Opinel in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?"   :facepalm:

I think I'm leaning towards the Spyderco Roadie, but I need more time to accept the cost.... 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: June 10, 2018, 06:19:57 PM
See if a member has one for trade, maybe put out request on the tools needed threads. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 09:41:51 PM
I found a second hand Roadie in the UK for £30, but not sure if I want to get it, as it's the orange handle.

Then I started looking at the Spyderco Dog Tag (especially the newer Gen 4) --- has advantage of OHO, so I could imagine pulling it out, opening it and using it, and closing it again, before anyone had really noticed.  Does anyone here have experience of the Dog Tags?

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 10:19:09 PM
Spyderco Roadie arrived today!   Many thanks to Syph007 for sending over one.  I got it sent to my work address (24/7 Reception desk) and after I opened the package I didn't repackage it and put it in my work bag --- I put it in my pocket and carried it all day ... I guess that says that I immediately bonded with her, and it's what I was looking for!  (I never felt happy EDC carrying a LM Juice because of the blade length/shape.)

The backspring is not too tight, and I can one-hand open and close it with either left or right hand (without drawing blood....)  The half-stop helps.

I think I'm going to replace the blade in the Squirt with the Squirt file (I originally swapped out the file for the awl and small eyeglass driver from a PS4).  So the Squirt becomes 'bladeless', and then carry the Roadie for blade need.  If I need to go bladeless I can leave the Roadie at home and maybe the Squirt will pass inspection (but I did sharpen up the awl, >:D  )

se Offline RF52

Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 11:05:15 PM
Nice knife, and a lot smaller than I thought it would be

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 07:53:25 AM
Great comparison shots.  Its a nice looking knife.  Glad you bonded right away.  I like the option to go bladless with the squirt. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 01:46:11 PM
cute!!  :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%