Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Auxillary EDC Items

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Auxillary EDC Items
on: June 09, 2018, 06:22:38 AM
Hi all I wanted to share some EDC items I carry with me most of the time that may not be essential, but I feel like are augmented well into my sytem. I also wanted to know what oddities you guys carry with you in your EDC rotation. Here goes..
1. Stainless Steel pen: Pens are useful. Nobody argues that. But I prefer steel pens because they make great makeshift weapons, they're cheap, and are harmless looking.  :whistle:
2.Paperclip: If you've ever watched MacGyver you know why this is useful.
3. Mini Bic lighter: I don't smoke, but any caveman knows that fire is a useful tool.
4: Pop machine key: This key was given to me by my dad, he used to be a Pepsi driver back in the day. It's a momento of him, plus I could break into certain pop machines if I wanted to. You know, in case it robs a quarter off me  :whistle:
5. Not shown: Band-Aids I keep a couple in my wallet just in case

Well those are some of my extra EDC items. What do you guys think? And share some extra EDC stuff you like to tote. Maybe a lucky coin, or rubber bands for example.
20180609_000713.jpg
* 20180609_000713.jpg (Filesize: 43.8 KB)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:25:21 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Auxillary EDC Items
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:46:03 AM
Nice.  Well, I tend to always have a safety pin on me.  I've carried one in my wallet, in my MT sheath, and more recently in my PFAK ( personal first aid kit ).  Neodymium magnet.  Its about the size of a watch battery.  For a short time I was carrying a mini Bic but stopped.  I did just fill my Zippo so maybe I'll carry that.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 08:05:28 AM
Nice.  Well, I tend to always have a safety pin on me.  I've carried one in my wallet, in my MT sheath, and more recently in my PFAK ( personal first aid kit ).  Neodymium magnet.  Its about the size of a watch battery.  For a short time I was carrying a mini Bic but stopped.  I did just fill my Zippo so maybe I'll carry that.   
Cool beans :tu: is your first aid pocket sized or do you keep it in a bag? I like that you have a pin and magnet because you can use them both to make a compass :like:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:08:02 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 08:09:21 AM
Pocket sized.  I typically carry it when I know I'll be out for a length of time.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 08:19:16 AM
Cool topic idea, Matt!

Aside from the main full size MT and light, I carry the following:
A second full size MT w/ blunted pliers.
SAK(Explorer usually).
Folding knife w/ plain edge blade.
Folding knife w/ serrated blade.
12' Stanley metal-case measuring tape.
Gel ink pen.
Mechanical pencil.
Permanent marker.
Zippo lighter.
BIC lighter for backup.
A few zip ties.
A smaller roll of rigid galvanized bailing wire.
10x jeweler's loupe.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:20:30 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 08:54:40 AM
Cool topic idea, Matt!

SAK(Explorer usually).
Gel ink pen.
Mechanical pencil.
Permanent marker.
Zippo lighter.
BIC lighter for backup.
A few zip ties.
10x jeweler's loupe.
sounds like a heavy duty suppliment of tools there! If MTO had a SWAT unit you'd definitely be support/cover fire and Aloha would be the field medic :D :salute:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 10:06:50 AM
Cool topic idea, Matt!

SAK(Explorer usually).
Gel ink pen.
Mechanical pencil.
Permanent marker.
Zippo lighter.
BIC lighter for backup.
A few zip ties.
10x jeweler's loupe.
sounds like a heavy duty suppliment of tools there! If MTO had a SWAT unit you'd definitely be support/cover fire and Aloha would be the field medic :D :salute:
Placing bandages over booboo's when we cut ourselves? :rofl:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 01:40:49 PM
If I show all my auxiliary edc items even you people would think I am weird.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 01:44:20 PM
I always carry, at least

one MT with pliers
one SAK with openers
one folding knife
one prying tool
one light
one pen
one lighter
neodymium magnets
tweezers, band aids, eye drops

and on occasion

a second multitool (often needlenose if the other is blunt nosed, or adding tools/implements that the other lacks)
a second SAK (to compliment with a saw, file, awl or scissors if the other lacks them)
a second folding knife or a fixed blade (usually serrated if the other one is plain edged, or vice versa), sometimes a third one
a second light, usually with a different battery or light modes
a OPT with drivers, prying implement or other gizmos in addition to the first one
a loupe

examples:
Show content

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 12:55:34 AM
If I show all my auxiliary edc items even you people would think I am weird.  :D

We'd think you were weird if you didn't have multiple auxiliary EDC items. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 05:37:54 AM
Thank you, sir! :cheers:

I have a mad reason for so much redundancy. I have to balance weight near equally on each side of my belt. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 07:21:17 AM

I have a mad reason for so much redundancy. I have to balance weight near equally on each side of my belt. :rofl:

Wait, you belt carry?  I'd love to see how this is accomplished. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 09:01:24 AM

You assume weight on belt means belt sheath carry, but that is incorrect. :)
My belt ultimately disperses the weight of belt sheaths and pocket items.
A typical non-challenge carry for me may go something like this:
Left hip with Surge in a sheath, bitkit in a smaller sheath, and AAA mini maglite in the only other sheath. Left front pocket has cell phone in bottom and secondary blade clipped inside. Left back pocket has SAK and box cutter. Right front pocket has second MT in bottom, 12' Stanley chrome measure & main folding knife clipped inside the pocket. Watch pocket has loupe and little roll of wire. Heavy keyring clipped to belt loop on right side. Back right pocket has wallet, BIC lighter, and zip ties in bottom. My shirt pocket will have pack of smokes, zippo, pen, pencil, and marker in it. Free or clipped.
I hope this clears things up. :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 04:48:13 PM
 :salute: 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 04:49:43 PM

You assume weight on belt means belt sheath carry, but that is incorrect. :)
My belt ultimately disperses the weight of belt sheaths and pocket items.
A typical non-challenge carry for me may go something like this:
Left hip with Surge in a sheath, bitkit in a smaller sheath, and AAA mini maglite in the only other sheath. Left front pocket has cell phone in bottom and secondary blade clipped inside. Left back pocket has SAK and box cutter. Right front pocket has second MT in bottom, 12' Stanley chrome measure & main folding knife clipped inside the pocket. Watch pocket has loupe and little roll of wire. Heavy keyring clipped to belt loop on right side. Back right pocket has wallet, BIC lighter, and zip ties in bottom. My shirt pocket will have pack of smokes, zippo, pen, pencil, and marker in it. Free or clipped.
I hope this clears things up. :)

I too spread the weight as equally as possible and I generally like to have (almost) free pockets, so SAK, Light, MT and other things go in different sized pouches on my belt

front, back, side, both sides, whatever I feel more comfortable with  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 04:55:12 PM
As I prepare to head out later today.  Here are my auxiliary items.  PFAK.  This is about as minimal as I care to make it.  I will tend to carry a mini sharpie as my Manager has a pen.  The older I get the smaller the print on some items seems to get so the fresnel lens is mandatory.  I keep it in my wallet.  Hand sanitizer is a must as well.  A lot of places offer it now but I like to carry some with my when I'm headed out.  The neodymium magnet I can attach to anything.  Not sure why or when I began to carry it.   
IMG_5165.jpg
* IMG_5165.jpg (Filesize: 149.71 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 05:00:20 AM
As I prepare to head out later today.  Here are my auxiliary items.  PFAK.  This is about as minimal as I care to make it.  I will tend to carry a mini sharpie as my Manager has a pen.  The older I get the smaller the print on some items seems to get so the fresnel lens is mandatory.  I keep it in my wallet.  Hand sanitizer is a must as well.  A lot of places offer it now but I like to carry some with my when I'm headed out.  The neodymium magnet I can attach to anything.  Not sure why or when I began to carry it.   
I like the magnifier idea. Been thinking about carrying a horseshoe magnet just prank the hotel clerks when they ask me if I'm carrying anything magentic when a room key is broken. I'd pull it out of my pocket like, "Is this magnetic!??"  :rofl:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:02:00 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 06:55:46 AM
I too spread the weight as equally as possible and I generally like to have (almost) free pockets, so SAK, Light, MT and other things go in different sized pouches on my belt

(Image removed from quote.)

That is some serious sheath right there!
Do you have trouble finding decent belts? For me; even good belts get a slight sag at the point I have the heavily-loaded Surge sheath and two smaller ones. :ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 07:00:34 AM
I like the magnifier idea. Been thinking about carrying a horseshoe magnet just prank the hotel clerks when they ask me if I'm carrying anything magentic when a room key is broken. I'd pull it out of my pocket like, "Is this magnetic!??"  :rofl:

:rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 03:07:46 PM

That is some serious sheath right there!
Do you have trouble finding decent belts? For me; even good belts get a slight sag at the point I have the heavily-loaded Surge sheath and two smaller ones. :ahhh

well it's a combination of factors (and I've gone a long way to achieve this, trying out lots of belts, carry methods and clothes):

- I use double line holed belts (that is, they have holes in two parallel lines along the belt as opposed to a single line in the center of it, this helps to stabilize and keep straight under heavy loads  :salute:)

- These belts are also wide and barely have space left between both sides of the belt loopholes in my pants/clothes, so there is very little space to wiggle up and down inside the loops.  ;)

- And the third and also essential factor, the pants: I use 5.11 or Pentagon BDU pants which have lots of belt loops and one or two of them are especially wide (as in, they cover a wide surface of the belt) so they really distribute the weight and keep the belt and items straight and still  :tu:
My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 05:43:52 PM
Thank you, TP! I have had some issues with my belts sagging and what-not. I have work pants with extra loops, but my belt is a traditional 1.5" in height using only one buckle hole row. I'll look for a parallel buckle hole belt to use. It makes sense after you explained it :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 01:01:57 PM
Thank you, TP! I have had some issues with my belts sagging and what-not. I have work pants with extra loops, but my belt is a traditional 1.5" in height using only one buckle hole row. I'll look for a parallel buckle hole belt to use. It makes sense after you explained it :cheers:

hey I never got back to you, GLBM; but today I was changing clothes and remembered this thread

here are the type of belts  :cheers:

good material, two files of holes minimum, wide, and in white color to contrast with the pouches and tools and see where they are and how do they move/position in the belt. Looks like a Batman belt  :D  but is comfortable, balanced and hidden under my T-shirt  :tu:

My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%