Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Worth upgrading from a skeletool KB?

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Worth upgrading from a skeletool KB?
on: June 10, 2018, 04:18:57 AM
I've been playing around with my Skeletool KB lately and have really come to like the blade. It's weight is amazing at only 1.3 oz, but I'm not enamored with the light frail handle or ergonomics. Typically I'm a keychain tool EDCer. I carried a Micra for many years and most recently I've really come to like my Squirt PS4. I also have lots of SAK's, but don't really need many tools when out and about.
However, I really do just love the blade shape of that KB, so much so that I'm contemplating stepping up to a freestyle or even a skeletool to get a wider grip. If I did that I would swap the blade out as I'm not a fan of the partially serrated blades. But, I've never handled a freestyle or skeletool, what do you guys think?
The freestyle jumps up to 3.5 oz, to only get some pliers, (I have a small yet nice set of those in the PS4), and I think the skeletool takes it to 4 oz though adds the caribeaner, bottle opener and bit carrier.
I'm just curious if the ergos on the bigger freestyle or skeletool are much better. I don't really care to pocket a larger multi tool but thinking maybe the freestyle fits easily in a pocket. I've kind of already convinced myself the skeletool would probably feel to large, at least to me. And, I do also have a bunch of nice small folders, such as a kershaw scallion which I like.
Or do you think I'm just looking for an excuse to buy another drawer queen?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Worth upgrading from a skeletool KB?
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:36:30 AM
If it were me I would go the Skeletool route and do the blade swap :salute: It feels better in hand to me than both the knife versions and the Freestyle because of the carabiner making the handle just a bit longer  :cheers:

Plus the addition of the bit driver adds a whole other level of versatility  :like:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 04:43:46 AM
Ya, there is no denying I'd enjoy having a bit driver for sure. So you think the Freestyle still feels sort of uncomfortably small in the hand? I guess the best thing for me to do would be go to a store and see if I could hold a couple to size compare. I'm just afraid that with the skeletool it's size and weight would discourage me from EDCing it. I do like the looks of the skeletool though, heck, I also like the little Style I have as well.  :D

us Offline effjaybay

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 05:56:59 AM
I did this yesterday. My very first post shows my Skeletool with it's original blade. I had the Skeletool KB laying around after I ordered it and thought it was a tad too small for me. Last night I swapped blades and I couldn't be happier with the results.
IMG_20180609_205001~3.jpg
* IMG_20180609_205001~3.jpg (Filesize: 210.64 KB)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:26:35 AM by effjaybay »

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 06:41:10 AM
 :like:

Very nice looking, love that blade too!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 07:19:31 AM
I had a KB and I agree the weight is really nice and the blade is too.  I have the Skeletool CX which I really like a lot.  I didn't initially or even at a second go.  I took another shot at carrying it and began to really appreciate it.  I have not handled the Freestyle so I cannot comment on that tool. 

I'm a huge fan of the Squirt so its hard to convince anyone to not carry it.  What I will say is go ahead and get your hands on both the Skeletool and Freestyle.  Being able to carry the Skeletool a number of ways might persuade you to EDC it.  You have the carabiner, pocket clip, you could simply pocket carry it, and sheath carry it.  Having a larger more capable plier plus the bit driver does change the dynamics on what you can tackle vs the Squirt.  Heck I'd probably carry both actually.

I'll take a few pics of the KB, Skeletool, and Squirt for size reference tomorrow.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline effjaybay

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 07:44:31 AM
:like:

Very nice looking, love that blade too!

Thank you

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 02:09:29 PM
Ya, there is no denying I'd enjoy having a bit driver for sure. So you think the Freestyle still feels sort of uncomfortably small in the hand? I guess the best thing for me to do would be go to a store and see if I could hold a couple to size compare. I'm just afraid that with the skeletool it's size and weight would discourage me from EDCing it. I do like the looks of the skeletool though, heck, I also like the little Style I have as well.  :D

Yes of course I would try them all out in person if that is an option :tu: everyone is different and you my find that the Freestyle is very comfortable for you to hold and carry  :like: Plenty of people carry them but I had a Skeley first so I am more partial to them ;)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 03:34:49 PM
I too prefer the freestyle over the skeletool just for the ergonomics. It's really comfy as a knife and pliers. But in all honesty, I feel that it's a little heavy  for a tool with just an pliers and knife.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 04:33:56 PM
Here are some pictures that I hope can help.  Getting your hands on the actual tools IMO is always best.  The KB is basically 1/2 a Skeletool however not having the bit driver its quite a bit thinner and lighter not having back springs.  Maybe its more 1/2 Freestyle.   Having held the KB again I am reminded how very light this knife is.  As knifes go its does that job fine.  Ease of carry and the knife really excels as its wonderfully light. 

I haven't held a Freestyle so I cannot comment no it.  I do like my Skeletool much more now that I ever did.  I think my tastes and manner in which I carry made some difference.  I also think getting away from a full size MT on my off days made the biggest difference. 

Good luck with your decision.       
IMG_5159.jpg
* IMG_5159.jpg (Filesize: 238.46 KB)
IMG_5160.jpg
* IMG_5160.jpg (Filesize: 249.62 KB)
IMG_5161.jpg
* IMG_5161.jpg (Filesize: 213.73 KB)
IMG_5162.jpg
* IMG_5162.jpg (Filesize: 133.12 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 04:35:07 PM
Last couple.   
IMG_5163.jpg
* IMG_5163.jpg (Filesize: 177.06 KB)
IMG_5164.jpg
* IMG_5164.jpg (Filesize: 183.46 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 08:03:35 PM
Thanks for the great pics Aloha007, great comparisons. Unfortunately they really do bear out just how much larger the Skeletool is, and not just size but weight too.
Yeah, I also am a big fan of the Squirt, can't see giving that one up at this point but maybe I just need (or will) take the good with the bad with the KB. I mean it really is just so light and I really do love the blade so I guess I can learn to accept that it's ergos aren't perfect. And heck, it's not like I'll be using it skin a deer or something!

Also thank you Sam Lim for summing up a thought I had on the Freestyle as well, much better ergos, (I would love that) but ... might not be worth the added weight for just a larger set of pliers and a better grip.

I think for awhile I will just try carrying the Squirt and the little Skeletool KB, both just kind of disapear in the pocket.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 07:08:35 AM
Glad the pictures helped.  The KB really does disappear in any pocket. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 02:52:35 PM
I mean it really is just so light and I really do love the blade so I guess I can learn to accept that it's ergos aren't perfect. And heck, it's not like I'll be using it skin a deer or something!

I think for awhile I will just try carrying the Squirt and the little Skeletool KB, both just kind of disapear in the pocket.

if your Squirt pliers are enough for your needs you are good to go with it and the KB, :cheers:

and I agree that easier to carry 2 tools, and safer (to lend one, if you lose the other, or break it, etc.  :salute:) and better to have a knife that is excellent in the pocket (like the KB: thin, light and great clip :tu:) where it spends 95% of the day, even if its lacking in in-hand ergonomics (where it usually spends 5% of the time or less)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 12:38:27 AM
I think it is just a matter of time that Leatherman will add a flip-out bit driver to the KB.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 06:56:28 PM
I think it is just a matter of time that Leatherman will add a flip-out bit driver to the KB.

If they do I may very well give them another look as the thin handle is what put me off from them :like:

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 07:17:52 PM
I think the skeletool is wicked cool 8) Simple and efficient. They make a Skeletool RX that has a serrated blade and orange handles. It's on my bucket list
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:19:18 PM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 08:40:33 PM
I think the skeletool is wicked cool 8) Simple and efficient. They make a Skeletool RX that has a serrated blade and orange handles. It's on my bucket list

The RX is a cool looking Skeletool and the serrated blade is super sharp. Nice to add it to a collection, but the problem is the orange finish, the powder coat flakes easy specially if you carry it with you or use it everyday. Below is a pic of my RX after carrying it attached to my backpack for a week.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:13:20 PM by JustinCase »
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 05:22:08 AM
Yeah, the Skeletools are pretty nice looking, I might get one some day just for my collecting habit, but I doubt I'd ever carry it, I just don't have a need at this point in time.
Sorry about that finish JustinCase, I'd kind of hope for better.
Anyhow, I have been carrying my Skeletool KB recently, along with the Squirt PS4 and am super happy with this combo (for my needs). Honestly, I don't even notice the KB in my pocket at all, makes me kick myself for not carrying it sooner!
So, for a total of only 3.3 oz I have pliers, scissors, a couple short drivers, a file and a very nice blade. Oh, and two semi working bottle openers (can't decide which one is better/worse, the Squirts or the KB's) and a second blade.
I wonder how much a dollar or so of change weighs, these two tools don't seem any heavier than the old days when I actually carried money  :like:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 11:06:10 PM

If they do I may very well give them another look as the thin handle is what put me off from them :like:
Then they just need to beef up the handle a little more by adding pliers and... oh wait...  :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 04:31:59 AM

Then they just need to beef up the handle a little more by adding pliers and... oh wait...  :facepalm:

Now we're getting somewhere :dd:

::)

:rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 06:14:41 AM
Glad to hear you are enjoying carrying the KB.  I think sometimes we get too wrapped up in too many attributes and abilities a knife has or doesnt have.  We forgot that if we aren't carrying it then non of those attributes make any difference.  You have got to want to carry the tool for the tool to have a fighting chance. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD