Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Still thinking new tool, options are in wide range

temo · 27 · 1087

Poll

Which tool next?

Swisschamp
6 (46.2%)
Moomin vic (thin theme vic)
0 (0%)
Gerber center drive
1 (7.7%)
LM signal
1 (7.7%)
LM juice S2
1 (7.7%)
Something else?
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: June 17, 2018, 06:25:39 PM

fi Offline temo

Lot on my mind with next tool. So quite clear I don't look any specific features. More like experience from MT world. So I have some options I would like to test myself. All have some points I don't go through as it would take too long texts to wonder why. So as MT experts feel free to vote what would be good to try out. I don't promise I get most voted tool but this might have ifluence 😂 There are some other tools for sure but these are currently top in next tool list.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Still thinking new tool, options are in wide range
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:08:34 PM
Everyone should have a Swisschamp! Good luck with your quest  :like:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

fi Offline temo

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:02:14 PM
Well already have red leather sheath for swisschamp so maybe already decision I'll get that some day :)

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 09:40:52 PM
I'd have a look at the Leatherman Wave  :tu:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 10:21:32 PM
It is pretty tough to make any suggestions without even a little more info about your needs? :pok:

This is sort of like saying you need a new car,what should I get but with no more clue as to what you may need. :ahhh

Most of the tools you have for choosing are decent tools but if you need something for certain jobs then each will have advantages of their own. :multi:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 10:58:34 PM
I voted SwissChamp  but a LM Wave is also a great suggestion to look at :tu: :like:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 12:08:07 AM
I'd have a look at the Leatherman Wave  :tu:

This. You should at least add it to the list. Either a Swisschamp or a Wave can pretty much take care of almost any situation.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

fi Offline temo

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 12:22:02 AM
Agree that can't really say what without specific needs :) Wave I had for some time. For some reason did prefer spirit and after that ST and rebar from larger tools. Still have spirit as well and carry every now and then (used quite a lot and a bit damaged already but still usable).

Mainly I use light use with pliers, knife is important but not too heavy blade. File and drivers are quite often used as well. Might be that that was the reason did prefer spirit over wave. In wave knives are quite dominant. Well ST has about same blades but more hidden among other tools.

It just has been a while since get last tool and was thinking to get something different to rotation. From swisschamp I have read that it could be quite handy belt carry. As it is wider so carried in other way then slim pocket knives. And even pliers are small those can take quite rough use in need.

From gerber I have had recoil. In CD I think plier mechanics is better but maybe would need to test first. I use pliers quite a lot, playing with small bolts and nuts etc.

So mainly just thinking what feels good to carry and handy to use in tasks at hand. That could carry every now and then during years to come. Now rotated mainly freestyle, pioneer and rebar.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 04:15:11 AM

Seeing as your avatar is a LM with blunted pliers, I can recommend you try the Center-Drive. It has a great set of hybrid pliers and some really cool features.
I had to choose from the list, as I have dozens of recommendations and not enough time to list them. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 01:35:57 PM
For light duty EDC I favour an LM Squirt P4.  So small and compact I hardly notice it in my pocket, and being tiny and inoffensive it doesn't seem to scare hardly anyone.  Limited tool set though, but meets most of my needs (and I usually have bigger H-D MTs somewhere close if more grunt needed).  If you need (small) scissors the PS4 may suit better (but I use the awl in the P4 more than scissors).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 01:52:48 PM
I voted something else, but I don't know what. ;)

fi Offline temo

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 02:32:02 PM
Should have listed tools I have, I rotate micra and squirt (ps4) in keychain. For keychain can't really see any other options (well never say never). Squirt is great keychain. Colour have worn off from corners but tools are quite much like new even used quite a lot.

Yes I did blunt st300. Runned to some extra modification need as with blunt did not close without some modification to inner tools. But I have liked blunt pliers. You can use more torque when using plier head compared to needlenose. And better grip. Many times better then trying to use regular plier part.

Yes I think can't go wrong with swisschamp or CD.  I might visit store to check how CD feels in hands (well that can be selection if feels good..)

Seems if you buy tool once a year or even not that often, you start to have many good tools :) But sometimes nice to try something different. Swisschamp I kind of trust it will remain for a long time. With CD not sure.

Looked also plenty of other options but at the moment listed top list that been thinking.

fi Offline temo

Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:29 PM
Thank you voters already! Seems something else or swisschamp are in final. So I looked one second hand MT (something else) and that still keeps swisschamp option in near future. I should get second hand MT tomorrow so more from that later. It is related to options in some level.

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 08:39:57 PM
LM Sideclip

fi Offline temo

Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 05:35:38 PM
So I did get second hand MP400 at first. There were some horrible knife mod. So I did make that even more ugly :) It is now combo chisel and knife. Also did not like pliers to point out when closed so did cut those.

Else tools are in ok condition. Scissors felt a bit loose but did cut very well. Have to say I like the tool. I maybe would not trust with heavier tasks so this light version seems splended. Need to use some time and see what to think of it after longer period.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 05:51:41 PM
Nice job making your 400 usable again, temo! The best mod anyone can do to the MP400 is to get the plier tips within the frame (by modding the slide channels or blunting/reprofiling).
Here is the 400 I did recently. Similar profile to yours. I just rounded mine off a bit for aesthetics.
20180524_100102.jpeg
* 20180524_100102.jpeg (Filesize: 126.63 KB)
20180524_100223.jpeg
* 20180524_100223.jpeg (Filesize: 108 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

fi Offline temo

Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 06:26:54 PM
Nice job making your 400 usable again, temo! The best mod anyone can do to the MP400 is to get the plier tips within the frame (by modding the slide channels or blunting/reprofiling).
Here is the 400 I did recently. Similar profile to yours. I just rounded mine off a bit for aesthetics.
Nice! Yes with small mod work I think I start to carry that. Good potential.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 06:32:11 PM
Nice! Yes with small mod work I think I start to carry that. Good potential.

I also blunted my Pro Scout, cutting off its nose

no more holes in the sheaths = more carry time  :cheers:
The MPs are excellent platforms!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Offline temo

Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 09:34:45 PM
Agree. I had fit where flashlight broke making that quite much useless. Was going to mod that but too much work. But lucky me did not throw parts away. Knife was exact match to MP, only a bit too long.

So there were modded knife which reshaped. But it was a bit loose and ugly. So did cut fit knife and placed it to MP. Starting to be quite happy with mp400.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 10:47:07 AM
Agree. I had fit where flashlight broke making that quite much useless. Was going to mod that but too much work. But lucky me did not throw parts away. Knife was exact match to MP, only a bit too long.

So there were modded knife which reshaped. But it was a bit loose and ugly. So did cut fit knife and placed it to MP. Starting to be quite happy with mp400.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

me likey that blade shape  :tu:. Reminds me a lot of the Spirit butter blade  :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Offline temo

Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 11:32:29 AM
Yes butter knife spirit is nice. I think quite handy with opening packages etc. I almost never use sharp tip from normal blade. Maybe for pictures MT stuck in wood :) More rare with plain edges but in serrated more used. Would be nice to see more example straight razor style blades. Tanto is nice as well (like CRKT bivy).

ST serrated ones are also quite nice.

fi Offline temo

Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 01:13:12 PM
Gerber side drive :) (lm bit adapter)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 02:24:24 PM
Yes butter knife spirit is nice. I think quite handy with opening packages etc. I almost never use sharp tip from normal blade. Maybe for pictures MT stuck in wood :) More rare with plain edges but in serrated more used. Would be nice to see more example straight razor style blades. Tanto is nice as well (like CRKT bivy).

ST serrated ones are also quite nice.

(Image removed from quote.)

I LOVE this pic!!  :like: :like: I am enamored of this blade shape  :cheers:
My toys:

fi Offline temo

Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 05:33:03 PM
So did get swiss champ. And sure need to agree it is one of the most known multitools. Did come with sticker sheath but has red button sheet which I prefer. And swap to that. Thank you voters and did cover most votes as first did get something else and now most rated swiss champ :) That has been plan anyway to get this one day as already has red sheath.

Have had almost all tools already in smaller saks but now lets see how swiss champ feels, biggest pocket knife that I have had.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 05:37:02 PM
I find the Swisschamp pretty good for figuring out which tools you like most.  :D

Nice photo!  :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 06:04:02 PM
Thanks for the update and the picture temo  :like:

...I want to buy one right now... although... I have one already  :facepalm:

fi Offline temo

Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 10:16:43 PM
Tx yes need to keep people updated if published plans :) Midsummer in here so first real test to champ. As quite often with multitools not the best opener out there but task well done. Biggest difference to smaller pocket knives that feels you get more force to tool as big knife works as heavy handle. And vic tools can take some force. So planning to edc now and see how it feels.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD