Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New File on Cadet

us Offline ChrisEDC247

New File on Cadet
on: June 11, 2018, 04:50:29 AM
Poking around the interwebs and learned Victorinox is updating the nail file on the Cadet model as of this year. It will no longer be the "finger nail file" style found on 58mm knifes like the Classic SD but appears to be a less aggressive version of a 91mm metal file. Granted the new file has a decidedly "retro" look, but I understand this was done to stop the blade from being scratched by the file. Has anyone used this yet and what are your opinions?

Me personally I love the old finger nail file style. It's the one thing I miss on 91mm knives and wish the hook tool had the nail file on all of them not just the Compact. That said, I could see there might be additional functionality with the new file pattern.

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Re: New File on Cadet
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:09:56 AM
Personally, I wish they would replace the file with a pen blade like the older Cadets had. The nail file is useless to me.
Perception is reality

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 05:17:36 AM
Personally, I wish they would replace the file with a pen blade like the older Cadets had. The nail file is useless to me.

I'm honestly surprised they don't make a version with a pen blade considering the popularity of the Recruit and Small Tinker. Plus I don't think I've ever seen anyone do a special order a run of Alox Recruits. Seems like a no brainer for collectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:28:25 AM by ChrisEDC247 »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 07:28:27 AM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77140.msg1693901.html#msg1693901

I really like the newer file. The grooves are parallel and not cross hatched, so it's possible to brush dirt out of it. (On the 91mm files this is almost impossible.)
It works great on fingernails, and I imagine, wood and plastic (though I haven't tried those yet). The textured area is larger than before, which can only be a good thing. I certainly won't miss the old file.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 02:46:08 PM
I like the new file too!

The question is once this new style of file is widespread... how are we going to call the "new-now-old" files with the textured surface?

- Textured file?
- Fancy but useless file?
- Smurfy file?

I vote for #3 :D

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 03:34:09 PM
If it is like the executive file then it's a huge improvement

- stoneshank

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 06:25:19 PM
I like the new file too!

The question is once this new style of file is widespread... how are we going to call the "new-now-old" files with the textured surface?

- Textured file?
- Fancy but useless file?
- Smurfy file?

I vote for #3 :D

I propose the New-New File should be called a Fine Metal File. The "New-Old File" should be the titled Finger Nail File or maybe textured / granular pattern nail file? It more closely resembles a beauty nail file than the a regular file. My question to you is how well does it file down smurfs? I have an acquaintance who's curious.

* IMG_4461.JPG (Filesize: 36.64 KB)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:35:36 PM by ChrisEDC247 »

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 06:39:10 PM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77140.msg1693901.html#msg1693901

I really like the newer file. The grooves are parallel and not cross hatched, so it's possible to brush dirt out of it. (On the 91mm files this is almost impossible.)
It works great on fingernails, and I imagine, wood and plastic (though I haven't tried those yet). The textured area is larger than before, which can only be a good thing. I certainly won't miss the old file.

Good to hear! I think I might pick one up just to try. I certainly would love to see this pattern on the reverse side of 91mm metal files. The regular course pattern is a bit too course sometimes and it'd be nice to have a finer option.

Offline shecky

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 06:35:35 AM
I came upon the picture of the Cadet on the Vic site about a month ago, and couldn't tell if it was true or not. I welcome the demise of the stippled file!

us Offline ChrisEDC247

New File on Cadet
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:19:37 AM
I finally picked up a new cadet with the revised file and I am torn. On one hand it is not a very good "finger nail" file. Something about the single pattern gives it an abrasive quality. The old pattern more closely resembles a traditional beauty nail file and smooths rough nails nicely. On the other hand IMO the revised tool is a good "general purpose" metal file. For most people the new file would probably get more use than the old one. Tough call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:21:44 AM by ChrisEDC247 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44