Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New from SWIZA: Tick Tool

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
New from SWIZA: Tick Tool
on: June 11, 2018, 10:23:19 AM
Here I thought we have at least 2 Swiza lovers here, yet neither has posted this. Sad day when Etherealicer has to post Swiza news :D
Worse yet, I might have to admit that I think this might be a potentially good idea.

Swiza Tick Tool
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:24:24 AM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: New from SWIZA: Tick Tool
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:34:41 AM
Not bad. Would have preferred scissors, but at least it's new.  :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:48:06 AM
After that you can swipe it off and use the blade to make your sandwich...

Yuk!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:04:15 AM
Interesting, but niche.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 11:26:49 AM
This costs 1 USD.

I mean seriously... you're going to use this 1-2 times in your lifetime and you can buy it for 1 USD.

Why waste a slot on your edc knife for it?
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 11:27:30 AM
A great idea. But I am not sure if it would really help. Getting ticks out takes a lot of care - you don't want to use too much force or you'll leave half the tick inside the person/dog you're trying to de-tick. Fingertips and fingernails are, in my experience, the only way to do it properly. Everything else seems to be an ineffective novelty for the squeamish.
I would like to try one of these just to see if it works.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 11:32:09 AM
you're going to use this 1-2 times in your lifetime

Really depends where you live, and if you have animals. Dogs are tick magnets, especially at this time of year, and we find them pretty much every week.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 11:47:32 AM
They need to come out with acigar cutter!

It is good to see them doing something not previously done by Victorinox/Wenger  (I think)  I assume that there will be other uses for it too.

I think many will be surprised that swiza is still around and seems, looking at various shops in europe, to have been established as a maker - good for them.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 11:54:55 AM
If Victorinox makes their fish scaler hook remover notch deeper, you get the same thing.  :cheers:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 11:58:52 AM
After that you can swipe it off and use the blade to make your sandwich...

Yuk!
Collect enough ticks, you can make a pie!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 12:31:41 PM
Even more yuk...

fi Offline temo

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 12:32:50 PM
Seems hard to use magnifier with tick tool :) Could appear in different sides and optimiced to be used removal process..

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 01:23:52 PM
I agree with several posts above, that seems very cumbersome and imprecise for use. Also, if you screw up, you risk having goo carrying Borrelia attached to your EDC knife. I would very much have preferred something like that as a detachable implement. (Like, you know, the tweezers, which also work for removing ticks.) To me, this seems like a gimmick to feed off of the growing Borrelia scare in many parts of Europe.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 01:40:53 PM
This costs 1 USD.

(Image removed from quote.)

I mean seriously... you're going to use this 1-2 times in your lifetime and you can buy it for 1 USD.

1 to 2 times in your lifetime... You should come to my neck of the woods.  :D

Anyway I find that all you ever need is some saliva on the tip of your finger and about a minute of rubbing the little smurf with circular motions.  :facepalm:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 02:02:16 PM
I would buy this but would use the implement the same that I use this one on my Chinese SAKalike for (the black thing with metal "Y" at the end)...

that is, cutting away the hard skin formed at the beginning of your fingernails, :salute:

I don't really know what name does this have. You put it on one corner of the fingernail bed curve and press, sliding it across the skin and cutting the dead or hard skin from there, leaving a clean portion of your finger where the nail begins to grow, :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 05:24:08 PM

Once or twice a year, in my line of work. Anyway, we have other cheap tools, courtesy of our employer.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 05:42:29 PM

Anyway I find that all you ever need is some saliva on the tip of your finger and about a minute of rubbing the little smurf with circular motions.  :facepalm:

That's what she said     ;)

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 06:08:50 PM
SAK tweezers won't work, too flexible. I have used 91mm pliers with success a few times, also the small blade and a thumbnail. Never tried a mini prybar, looks kinda fiddly.  :think:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 08:40:09 PM
Interesting tool...

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 09:14:54 PM
Tick hook for me every time, good clean removal with no decapitations, apart from anything else if you crush the body its possibly squeezing all its guts into your bloodsteam ..no ta, Lymes is a nasty disease, best to get them out quick and clean even if they are not infected, not worth taking risks  :tu:
I carry tick hooks so its no biggy but the Swiza does look like a good thing, a couple of years back i sent a product idea to Vic for a knife with a tick hook in the scales or a converted backside hook, easily done but they weren't interested so no probs, they know the market better than i, i should have sent it to Swiza instead   ::)
Good luck to them, will wait on reviews but i might possibly get one, just out of spite  :D

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 10:01:57 PM
Now we know where Apple got the idea for those stupid earbuds...

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 10:43:20 PM
This costs 1 USD.

Hi Corwin,

One or two times in my lifetime is more than I use that dreaded "hook" tool, and that's taking up more space than I care to see.

I live in New England, where Lyme disease was first identified. This will be used one or two times per summer by me and my Beagle. He gets into everything. Everything. I use natural and chemical protection products, however, when we return from places well off the beaten path, I have removed as many as 15 from him.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 10:45:45 PM
A great idea. But I am not sure if it would really help. Getting ticks out takes a lot of care - you don't want to use too much force or you'll leave half the tick inside the person/dog you're trying to de-tick. Fingertips and fingernails are, in my experience, the only way to do it properly. Everything else seems to be an ineffective novelty for the squeamish.
I would like to try one of these just to see if it works.

Using finger tips and fingernails is a good way to irritate the tick. When that happens, they tend to "backwash" their saliva into the host. And you have the added risk of having handled a potentially infected critter directly.  No thanks, not if I have a tweezers handy instead

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 10:49:09 PM
I agree with several posts above, that seems very cumbersome and imprecise for use. Also, if you screw up, you risk having goo carrying Borrelia attached to your EDC knife. I would very much have preferred something like that as a detachable implement. (Like, you know, the tweezers, which also work for removing ticks.) To me, this seems like a gimmick to feed off of the growing Borrelia scare in many parts of Europe.

I'm not sure of the epidemiology in Europe, but deer ticks, Lyme Disease and it's associated Borrelia are rampant here in New England. It's not really just a scare here, although, usually if you treat your dog with a quality topical monthly, you should be ok.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 10:51:38 PM
This costs 1 USD.

1 to 2 times in your lifetime... You should come to my neck of the woods.  :D

Rubbing the tick annoys it, increasing the chances of it back washing it's own saliva into your dog or whomever it is feeding off of at the time. You may very well successfully remove the tick, and acquire Borrelia or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever at the same time

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 10:56:37 PM
I use the tweezers on my Micra for tick removal. They work quite well, as you don't want to decapitate the bug, and you don't want to squish it either, or annoy it. You have to gently get the pry  or tweezers under its face before pulling. Sometimes a pry works better because as you put a little pressure against the hosts skin, it forces blood INTO the tick before it is removed,  which reduced the likelyhood that it's saliva is entering the host during removal

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 11:02:22 PM

I'm not sure of the epidemiology in Europe, but deer ticks, Lyme Disease and it's associated Borrelia are rampant here in New England. It's not really just a scare here, although, usually if you treat your dog with a quality topical monthly, you should be ok.

In Norway, and Northern Europe in general, we are getting a lot more ticks than we used to (partly because of climate change) . Since the risk has increased and the disease is nasty, newspapers love it. The problem is certainly real here as well, but it's regularly blown out of proportion. That's why I called it a scare, complete with B-list celebrities describing symptoms they complain aren't taken seriously enough by their doctor.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 04:03:48 AM

In Norway, and Northern Europe in general, we are getting a lot more ticks than we used to (partly because of climate change) . Since the risk has increased and the disease is nasty, newspapers love it. The problem is certainly real here as well, but it's regularly blown out of proportion. That's why I called it a scare, complete with B-list celebrities describing symptoms they complain aren't taken seriously enough by their doctor.

Climate change, maybe so. Less use of pesticides, is probably a contributing factor as well. We get the same B-list types who complain about all sorts of never-heard-of issues. This one is a bit of a sleeper. It can manifest itself so far departed from the bite, you might not make the association.

There was a dog here that they were going to put to sleep. Symptoms like rheumatoid arthritis and heart problems, lethargy. The vet's assistant was petting the dog to keep it calm before the injection, and felt a tick on the dogs neck. The dog was a collie, so it was so furry, nobody ever saw the tick. They removed the tick, treated the dog with antibiotics, and the dog was saved.

I love my dog too much to keep him away from the woods, but I have to be watchful. Dog Ticks, Deer ticks with Lyme Disease, Texan Ticks (Lone Star) with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - yikes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:08:07 AM by ThundahBeagle »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 01:33:26 PM
This costs 1 USD.

Hi Corwin,

One or two times in my lifetime is more than I use that dreaded "hook" tool, and that's taking up more space than I care to see.

I live in New England, where Lyme disease was first identified. This will be used one or two times per summer by me and my Beagle. He gets into everything. Everything. I use natural and chemical protection products, however, when we return from places well off the beaten path, I have removed as many as 15 from him.

Wow 15!!! That's friggin scary. Then you definitely need a tool for ticks. I only saw a few on stray dogs here. And I often do outdoorsy stuff and gardening. I guess they don't like the weather here much. Plus city halls sprays anti-tick stuff every few months.

However the comparison between the hook and the tick tool is not fair for 2 reasons:
  • The hook is.. a hook. It has multiple uses, carrying parcels, moving thread, pushing stuff, hanging stuff. The tick-thingie has 1 limited, niche use.
  • The hook was an afterthought. We all know it. People like scissors, but no useful implements can be placed at the back of scissors except for the hook so they just added that (the file is an extra second thought). The anti-tick-pick takes the spot of the cap lifter/ screwdriver/ wire stripper/ prybar, arguably the most useful tool in a sak
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 03:40:24 PM
This costs 1 USD.

Hi Corwin,

Wow 15!!! That's friggin scary. Then you definitely need a tool for ticks. I only saw a few on stray dogs here. And I often do outdoorsy stuff and gardening. I guess they don't like the weather here much. Plus city halls sprays anti-tick stuff every few months.

However the comparison between the hook and the tick tool is not fair for 2 reasons:
  • The hook is.. a hook. It has multiple uses, carrying parcels, moving thread, pushing stuff, hanging stuff. The tick-thingie has 1 limited, niche use.
  • The hook was an afterthought. We all know it. People like scissors, but no useful implements can be placed at the back of scissors except for the hook so they just added that (the file is an extra second thought). The anti-tick-pick takes the spot of the cap lifter/ screwdriver/ wire stripper/ prybar, arguably the most useful tool in a sak

Well, blood sucking might be an unionised profession where you are from with strictly enforced limits on who can join?  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD