Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

COAST knife with lighter scales... looks like a Wenger clone. Mod in store?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coast-Multi-Tool-Multi-Blade-Lighter-Pocket-Knife-w-Sheath-FREE-SHIPPING/382485281126

Looks very much like a Wenger knife. If the scales would transfer over and fit on a random Wenger, you'd get a lighter and a quality knife at the same time...

Charles.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Strange little knife... It looks very much like a Wenger. The tiny serrations on the main blade are new to me - and the nail file looks a bit strange - like a Victorinox design on a Wenger knife. (All my Wenger nail files are pointed, like a leaf shape.)
I have no idea what to make of the scales - except Wenger usually hid the toothpick etc so you couldn't see them from the outside.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
The tang-stamp on the blade gives it all away : Stainless China.

The can opener is shady, the cap lifter is too rounded around the sides... Steel looks like smurf...

The saw is off too... so is the awl... and so are the Wenger-design scissors.

This wouldn't go through the Swiss customs. Blatant copy of patented designs.

• No Life Club
Right, but the lighter scales might pop right onto a Wenger knife. That'd be an interesting thing to build.

Charles.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Right, but the lighter scales might pop right onto a Wenger knife. That'd be an interesting thing to build.

Charles.
Size seems close enough... They may very well have copied the frame and exact pivot point location. But as you may know, there are incompatibilities among Wenger scale, so you may have to resort to glue/resin...
It's a bit of an expensive bet but it could be cool if it works :D

• No Life Club
So, this sucker was on eBay for a long time... so I made an offer of $15 and it was accepted! The knife arrived today. I had to fiddle with the lighter to get it to fill and work. Pressure valve needed to be worked a bit, and I disassembled it and cleaned gunk out of it, reassembled, fiddled some more, and got it filled. The lighter scale works perfectly.

The knife is... well... it's good. It's actually good. I'm looking at this thing, and I don't think it's a copy of a Wenger. It's too close. It looks like Wenger provided Coast with blanks, which Coast did the final machining on.  It's too close to be anything else. The shape of all the tools is identical, with minor exceptions. Not close, IDENTICAL. The clip point blade is the same blade out of a Swissbuck. The scissors are the liner-sprung scissors out of every Wenger knife. The saw is 100% identical, right down to the nail nick, tooth count, and tooth shape. The differences are the nail nicks are different, the level of polishing is different, the blade is a combination blade with a plain edge and a serrated back portion, the bottle opener flat head blade is not at quite the right angle, and the can opener lower tang profile has been ground down more. If Wenger provided just blanks, this makes sense as Coast would have to do the final grinding, machining, sharpening, and polishing. I'm guessing this was a similar arrangement that Victorinox had with Schrade to make the Century line of pocket knives.

The only tool that is significantly different from a Wenger tool is the nail file. But, I'm not 100% familiar with all Wenger knives. That could actually be a Wenger tool, I just don't know. The tools are over-polished. Where Wenger tools still have sharp edges and machine marks, the tools here are polished so that hard edges are more rounded and softened.  The front scale with the Coast name attaches with the standard Wenger pucks from the 90s. The ones that shatter when you try and remove the scales, and are often damaged with age and wear. The tweezers in the scale are shortened Victorinox tweezers with a slightly reshaped plastic head. The bends are in the exact same place, the plastic is attached the same way, the tweezers are just slightly shorter below the bend. 

The lighter scale is attached differently. The fuel tank is attached to the scale with a screw, as is the lighter head. However, to remove the screw for the lighter head, I'd have to do major disassembly, because the flint is in the way.  I'm not willing to do that just yet.

Unfortunately, not all is right with this knife. While the blade is sharp and the knife is in overall good condition, it's obviously a used knife, and it has some issues. The thin scale's mounting point by the tweezers, like so many wenger knives, has failed. And the knife desperately needs to be re-peened. It looks like someone over-torqued the T-handle phillips driver and popped that peen, and now the backsprings are not tightly held together. So I'm eventually going to have to take the lighter scale off just to re-peen the knife. That said, I intend to put the knife back together as-is, and likely use it. It has all the tools of a Wenger Handyman, plus a butane lighter, with Wenger-quality tools. Really except for the peening, the knife is very close to Wenger quality.

Edit: The scissors in this knife cut open a blister pack. Not with ease, but they did it. None of the Chinese-made pocket knives I have can muster that, not even the big multi-tools with the larger scissors can manage much more than a few layers of paper. These scissors are serrated just like Wenger scissors and cut blister pack just like Wenger scissors. So, I'm even more convinced they actually ARE wenger scissors.

Charles.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
* s-l1600 (1).jpg (Filesize: 48.66 KB)
s-l1600 (3).jpg
* s-l1600 (3).jpg (Filesize: 26.6 KB)
s-l1600 (2).jpg
* s-l1600 (2).jpg (Filesize: 30.5 KB)
s-l1600.jpg
* s-l1600.jpg (Filesize: 39.15 KB)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:39:56 PM by ChopperCharles »

• No Life Club
After getting this knife I was curious, and I ordered the Coast Carpenter's Knife with the big red scales with the level and LED light. Aaaaaand that knife is utter, complete garbage. It's a 91mm frame and all the tools are terrible knock-off copies of the Victorinox tools. Shapes all wrong, thicknesses all wrong, peening abysmal, and everything feels cheap and smurfty. The nicest thing about the Carpenter knife is the nylon case. It's really high quality, thick, and well-made.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD