Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Am I the only one that thinks the SOG Mini ToolClip is not that great?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
I just got mine from Amazon today. It's... well, it's kinda defective.

The phillips screwdriver is worthless, I knew that. But the wire cutters are garbage. They're wire benders, not cutters. I can't cut through thin speaker wire cleanly, and thin stranded copper is just bent or torn. What's more, my file isn't cut all the way through. The crosshatch pattern is visible and has some depth to it at the nail nick, and by the time it gets to the other side of the blade it's disappeared entirely. Pic attached.

My whole hope for the SOG Mini Toolclip was that it'd be useful as a wire cutter. That's at least 60% of my plier-tool usage. Zip ties and small wires.

So, I'm not thrilled. I could overlook the subpar wire cutting capability if the file was even slightly useful. It's so bad it won't even file my nails.

That said, the blade is nice and sharp and I enjoyed using it to cut the stitching out of a tool bag I just bought. (I removed some useless tool holders sewn on the inside, to make more usable space)

Charles.
IMG_3948.jpg
* IMG_3948.jpg (Filesize: 173.42 KB)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Come on SOG start producing real tools  :facepalm:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
It's so bad it won't even file my nails.

I just returned a SOG PowerAssist Deluxe and dropped out of a Challenge largely for this same reason.  SOG is not awesome these days.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
I bought a Mini ToolClip myself, pretty much the same impression, but add the bottle opener bordering on being totallh stuck in the closed position (probably bad peening). I like a strong backspring, but this was bad QA, not the backspring. I tried working it, in case something was stuck in the mechanism, but no. I really want to like the design, but F&F is simply too bad, horrible and no good.

Every single SOG I've handled have had some kind of problem of that kind, I won't buy a single thing from them before consensus becomes they've got their act together.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Chinise factories are capable of making excellent tools, but unfortunately many companies send their designs to the lowest bidder for manufacture, and then compound the problem by not doing much at all in the way of Quality Control, with predictably poor results.  Seems the v3 SOG Micro Toolclip is a good example of what can happen.  :(
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
just to mention on the QC thing and SOGs problems,

even my counterfeit SOG seems to be better than the real one (trident Folder) from what I've read and gathered  ::), so maybe the Chinese factories producing them are selling the best examples through the backdoor  :whistle: and the QC fails are shipped to SOG for distribution in the US?  ???

Just a guess, it should be the other way around but man so many problems and issues with SOGs seems to confirm this suspicion  :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Lol you can always count on SOG to give us some good laughs  :doh: but in seriousness that's too bad. Maybe Amazon will fix things up for you because it was defective upon arrival
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
SOG has and still has fantastic MTs. Those being the PowerLock and PowerAssist. A lot of their stuff(newer in particular) is just somewhat poorly designed. Could be great, but they got the details wrong, so they are mediocre.
The micro toolclip is a hit or miss. QC is a big problem with the mTC, as well as some other newer SOG tools. Mine works just fine, but one I bought for a friend isn't fine.

About the file, it seems while it won't file fingernails, it may work on harder materials. A perplexing phenomenon. :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Grant? did a review a while back, the main issue noted was that the pliers pivot is only attached to one side of the tool's body, form what I vaquely rememebr
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
SOG has and still has fantastic MTs. Those being the PowerLock and PowerAssist. A lot of their stuff(newer in particular) is just somewhat poorly designed. Could be great, but they got the details wrong, so they are mediocre.
The micro toolclip is a hit or miss. QC is a big problem with the mTC, as well as some other newer SOG tools. Mine works just fine, but one I bought for a friend isn't fine.

About the file, it seems while it won't file fingernails, it may work on harder materials. A perplexing phenomenon. :think:
  Yeah I have a powerlock and my dad EDC's a paratool they're both pretty well constructed. I like the beefy cutters they put on their MTs. I think if they could tweek the locking mechanism on the powerlock to  make the lockup on the tools firmer, they would have knocked it out of the park. But my dad has the paratool and the non locking tools don't seem to bother him lol ::)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:42:39 PM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline NetsNJ

You're not.  It's not great.  The file is an insult.  The Phillips is useless.  The pliers are uncomfortable.  It's not great.  Decent blade though.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
It's so bad it won't even file my nails.

I just returned a SOG PowerAssist Deluxe and dropped out of a Challenge largely for this same reason.  SOG is not awesome these days.

You mean a PowerAccess Deluxe? Why did you return it? (and have I already asked you this before??  :think:) Frankly, that tool was one I was drooling and dreaming about :(

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
ddogu,
Go check out the PAD challenge thread. Lots if information, opinion, and etc.
The file was incorrectly presumed to be usless on the PAD, however that wasn't quite the case. Classic example of using one's senses over actual experimentation. The only true issues we have found are the can opener and velcro (on the sheath).

Charles,
Sorry your thread got hijacked! Back on topic.
You should try and find an original Japanese made micro toolclip. Much nicer design and a bit higher quality (except the idiotic plastic poclet clip, which will be fine if you be careful). :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%