Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The great Wave hunt

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
The great Wave hunt
on: June 11, 2018, 10:29:50 PM
Just had sort of a rant, So I've been in the market for a Wave for quite a while, looking on ebay every so often to see what's on there and seeing if there's any in my budget. I was kind of excited to see the Wave Plus come out, not because I wanted a Wave with replaceable cutters, but because I thought the price of the regular Waves would drop. Well I started looking on ebay and people still want to charge the same price as the new versions! Honestly $80+ is too much for a multi in my opinion, even with the replaceable wire cutters. I've looked at used options but anything over $50 is out of my price range for a used multi. I think a realistic price for used multitools (being a base model) is somewhere around $30-$45. Which is what I hear Leatherman used to price the Wave at new. So yeah the $80 price tag seems a little ludicrous. >:( Call me cheap I guess. So the waiting continues..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:43:52 PM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The great Wave hunt
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:58:45 PM
I totally agree, but I'm stuck in 1972 and think that a green pepper should cost $0.39 and not $2.39.  A more cost-effective MT than the Wave might be something in the Wingman to Rebar genre.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 11:26:35 PM
hunting for MTs makes you feel like this guy from time to time

Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:59:33 PM
I totally agree, but I'm stuck in 1972 and think that a green pepper should cost $0.39 and not $2.39.  A more cost-effective MT than the Wave might be something in the Wingman to Rebar genre.
We can get peppers here for €0.49 each. :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:31:12 AM
Meanwhile I could have a PST for $25 any day of the week....  :think:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 12:36:55 AM
A decent 2nd gen Wave for under $45 is a bit hard to get. For an average Joe, a Wave is always valued higher than a PST. Have you tried a Wanted ad in the forum?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 01:14:32 AM
If you want a bargain on E-Bay you have to be vigilant. Completed listings show quite a few in your price range.

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 02:34:40 AM
A decent 2nd gen Wave for under $45 is a bit hard to get. For an average Joe, a Wave is always valued higher than a PST. Have you tried a Wanted ad in the forum?
And I agree with that 100% just a little disgruntled lol maybe if I can't find one for my budget I'll try that thanks :tu:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:35:54 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 02:35:26 AM
If you want a bargain on E-Bay you have to be vigilant. Completed listings show quite a few in your price range.
thanks I'll take another look
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 05:40:49 AM
Wow just found a great deal! LM Wave with piece of bit kit ($10 value) $55 shipped.
Screenshot_20180611-234004.png
* Screenshot_20180611-234004.png (Filesize: 36.59 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 06:04:59 AM
I think I've paid over 40$ once for a Wave. Just need to wait out the good deals.

Local gun store had a brand new one for 29.99 just because he got it in a trade!

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 07:15:28 AM
In the UK the new Wave+ is listed at $180 (using current exchange rate) on the UK LM site.  This drops to $144 for Wave+ to $118 for regular Wave from other on-line UK shops (there may be cheaper).  And drops to $95 for like new from UK second hand exchange sites, and can drop much more is you watch out for the occasional bargain.  I got my original gen Wave for $49 second hand, and my used Gen 2 Wave in exchange for a used Juice Pro.  There are bargains out there, usually second hand with light use (from amateur collectors, or their wives...), but you have to keep looking.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 08:00:47 AM
^^What they have said.

I got my first Wave for $20 at the market I work in. And being bat-poo crazy, I had to have two Waves before I would carrry one, and I found a second one on Ebay for $40. Then, being a collector, I had to have an OG Wave. Found it for $40. They can be found, but like members said before, you have to be patient.
I have three Waves and paid $100 for the three. And this was all late last year (not in ancient MT times). :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 08:14:15 AM
^^What they have said.

I got my first Wave for $20 at the market I work in. And being bat-poo crazy, I had to have two Waves before I would carrry one, and I found a second one on Ebay for $40. Then, being a collector, I had to have an OG Wave. Found it for $40. They can be found, but like members said before, you have to be patient.
I have three Waves and paid $100 for the three. And this was all late last year (not in ancient MT times). :cheers:
wow great finds! Well I'll be joining the wave club soon! Honestly I was kind of conflicted because I have the Blast that I EDC, but when you look at the configuration and tool sets they both have a purpose. I think I'll do a comparison after carrying the Wave a while at least after about a month of use
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:18:01 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 09:01:48 AM
wow great finds! Well I'll be joining the wave club soon! Honestly I was kind of conflicted because I have the Blast that I EDC, but when you look at the configuration and tool sets they both have a purpose. I think I'll do a comparison after carrying the Wave a while at least after about a month of use
I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on the Wave and congrats on finding one! A must have for any MT enthusiast. However, with being said, I do(it is mentioned on this site somewhere) think the Blast was a true highlight in LM history in its' category (all inboard tools, with locking). The Wave is great too. It's going to be a tough thing comparing the two of them. :ahhh :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 09:33:16 AM
I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on the Wave and congrats on finding one! A must have for any MT enthusiast. However, with being said, I do(it is mentioned on this site somewhere) think the Blast was a true highlight in LM history in its' category (all inboard tools, with locking). The Wave is great too. It's going to be a tough thing comparing the two of them. :ahhh :cheers:
I agree the Blast sets a good standard for quality control, comfort, and tool selection. And a couple things it has over the wave is a proper 3d philips, and long shank medium flathead. But anyway more on that when I get the Wave in my hand to compare the two directly. :D
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 03:03:30 PM

what?!  ???

I got these for 0.20 Euro each  :ahhh

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 03:32:01 PM
Wow just found a great deal! LM Wave with piece of bit kit ($10 value) $55 shipped.

Congrats !    :cheers:

us Offline gregpost

Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 02:52:46 AM
I found a 2nd Gen Wave brand new in the blister pack for $25. Then I loaned it to my cousin and I don't think he'll return it but I don't mind.

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 07:11:37 AM
Well I got the Wave in the mail today. As soon as I got home I cleaned,oiled, and sharpened it. First flaw I noticed was that the scissors were pretty wobbly. I'm still going to carry it for a while before I send it into warranty. If it's  anything I know about MTs is that not everything that needs fixed pops out at once. PS these outside accessible blades rock!
20180616_002056.jpg
* 20180616_002056.jpg (Filesize: 49.05 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 07:34:24 AM
Yikes! It looks like the previous owner took some sand paper and smoothed out the thumb hole on the knife blades. Does it come from the factory this way? If not does this void warranty?
20180616_013133.jpg
* 20180616_013133.jpg (Filesize: 13.18 KB)
20180616_013135.jpg
* 20180616_013135.jpg (Filesize: 16.81 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 04:10:46 AM
LM will fix the scissors, even though someone filed the thumb hole on the blade. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%