Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Before SAK did it. Early Japanese MT with many tools.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
on: September 18, 2017, 03:39:47 AM
I have had this thing for a long time. Something makes me think I got it at a flea market when I was a kid. It has all you need! Spoon, Fork, Wood Saw, Big and Small knife blades, can/bottle opener, scissors, cork screw(back), medium flat head(back), coarse/fine file(back), and an awl(back). I recon it is from the 1960s/1970s. Bone handle and bolster pin construction. Carbon steel as well.
The fit and finish is that of a purely cheap hand-made nature. I would never try and use this thing, but it is neat to have. What kind of early non-sak multitool knife based toola do y'all have?
20170917_202036-1.jpeg
* 20170917_202036-1.jpeg (Filesize: 111.64 KB)
20170917_202028.jpeg
* 20170917_202028.jpeg (Filesize: 107.42 KB)
20170917_202000-1.jpeg
* 20170917_202000-1.jpeg (Filesize: 75.13 KB)
20170917_201942-1.jpeg
* 20170917_201942-1.jpeg (Filesize: 77.11 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Before SAK did it. Early Japanese MT with many tools.
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 03:44:55 AM
Well, I wouldn't say "before SAK did it"

Soldiers since 1891, makin' Huntsman's since 1902, but sweet hobo tool!  I just have a couple early sak-alikes made by German companies; they look very similar to SAKs.   :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 04:07:55 AM

Soldiers since 1891, makin' Huntsman's since 1902, but sweet hobo tool!  I just have a couple early sak-alikes made by German companies; they look very similar to SAKs.   :cheers:
Thank you, El Corkscrew! The Huntsman has a limited tool count comparatively, but honestly, a far more useful tool set than my hobo knife considering the quality difference. Thanks for that info. I had no idea that was what it was called!
SAK perfected these types of MTs for sure! I really enjoy my SwissChamp(and other various SAKs) and would trust it not to harm me trying to use it. My hobo knife would probably lead to stitches if anyone were to use it for anything other than super light work or eating. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 10:25:20 PM
Awarded.   :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:36:23 PM

Thank you, El Corkscrew! The Huntsman has a limited tool count comparatively, but honestly, a far more useful tool set than my hobo knife considering the quality difference. Thanks for that info. I had no idea that was what it was called!
SAK perfected these types of MTs for sure! I really enjoy my SwissChamp(and other various SAKs) and would trust it not to harm me trying to use it. My hobo knife would probably lead to stitches if anyone were to use it for anything other than super light work or eating. :cheers:
Limited tool count? The Huntsman is only missing eating utensils compared to the hobo knife.  :P

I don't think I would like using hobo knives, because they seem quite bulky and hard to keep clean, compared to a separate Huntsman and camping cutlery set.  :think:
I've never used a hobo knife though, so take my opinion with a hobo knife spoonfuls worth of salt.  ;)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:08 PM
Awarded.   :tu:
Thank ya!
Took long enough for me to figure out the proper way to earn the merits, eh? :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:47:49 PM

Limited tool count? The Huntsman is only missing eating utensils compared to the hobo knife.  :P

I don't think I would like using hobo knives, because they seem quite bulky and hard to keep clean, compared to a separate Huntsman and camping cutlery set.  :think:
I've never used a hobo knife though, so take my opinion with a hobo knife spoonfuls worth of salt.  ;)
Huntsman is missing the two-sided file as well, but the hobo I pictured is missing a hook. However, I cannot find any good pictures on the vintage/antique huntsman on google. If we are talking about post 1960s Vics, then nobody can come close. Maybe an antique Vic aficionado will chime in with some pictures.

I would agree that I would not want to carry such an awkward knife around. I just keep a short spoon and a short fork in my camp bag. Who would want a spoon and fork that weighs as much as that hobo knife(it is very heavy for what it is!). :rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 11:43:11 PM

Huntsman is missing the two-sided file as well, but the hobo I pictured is missing a hook. However, I cannot find any good pictures on the vintage/antique huntsman on google. If we are talking about post 1960s Vics, then nobody can come close. Maybe an antique Vic aficionado will chime in with some pictures.

I would agree that I would not want to carry such an awkward knife around. I just keep a short spoon and a short fork in my camp bag. Who would want a spoon and fork that weighs as much as that hobo knife(it is very heavy for what it is!). :rofl:
As far as the quality of older Vic's go, the aficionados will tell you that a 1900's Vic soldier is more durable than any knockoffs made today.  :think:

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 12:05:47 AM
As far as the quality of older Vic's go, the aficionados will tell you that a 1900's Vic soldier is more durable than any knockoffs made today.  :think:
I think that goes for most antiques collectors. :think: Nothing is ever as good as the original to some collectors. It is more of a philosophical thing. IMHO Because, I don't use any of the really old stuff for my own reasons(like antique knives are high maintenance compared to stainless tools and harder to replace/repair).

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 12:09:38 AM
Surprised I did not see this before. I have that exact same knife. I have probably had it for 20 + years. Maybe longer.
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 12:12:11 AM
I think that goes for most antiques collectors. :think: Nothing is ever as good as the original to some collectors. It is more of a philosophical thing. IMHO Because, I don't use any of the really old stuff for my own reasons(like antique knives are high maintenance compared to stainless tools and harder to replace/repair).
But there is merit to the idea that older Vic's are just as durable and good to use, aside from the fact that they are harder to replace.
Any possible deficiencies with the older kind of steel is probably outweighed by the fact that older Vic's(like the soldier 1908 model) had much thicker tools and were 100mm long.  :salute:

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:33:29 AM
Surprised I did not see this before. I have that exact same knife. I have probably had it for 20 + years. Maybe longer.
Awesome! Would love to see some pics to see if it is as poorly made as mine. The one I have just has "JAPAN" lightly stamped on the big blade.
But there is merit to the idea that older Vic's are just as durable and good to use, aside from the fact that they are harder to replace.
Any possible deficiencies with the older kind of steel is probably outweighed by the fact that older Vic's(like the soldier 1908 model) had much thicker tools and were 100mm long.  :salute:
True, but that is an old and non-winnable debate to be honest. Not one I want to get into. Some of the SAK guys can be vicious about their pocket knives. :ahhh:
On a side note: a thicker blade does not necessarily make it a better blade. The blade on my hobo is thicker than the one on my swiss champ, fisherman, tinker, climber and Ranger(only locking SAK I own). Just saying  ;)
Anyway, this is not a thread about old vs. new SAKs. It is not really a thread about SAKs either( :think:), but it certainly turned into one(I guess I should have not said that SAK didn't have a tool with built in fork/spoon/file at the time). Seems a lot of threads on MT.O end up SAK-jacked.  :rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 09:10:51 AM
Hobo knives date back to the Romans...
rak_01.jpg
* rak_01.jpg (Filesize: 169.22 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 10:49:13 AM

No scissors or saw I'm out  :rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 11:09:21 AM

No bottle opener, no corkscrew... This thing is terrible. :rofl:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 11:38:17 AM

I dare you to do a one month challenge with that one!  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 02:01:33 PM
That Roman hobo tool is da beez kneez! :D

What's the warranty plan and customer service like? Can I get it on amazon?  :dd:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 05:51:24 PM

What's the warranty plan and customer service like? Can I get it on amazon?  :dd:
Well possibly you can get a replica on amazon... got mine at a replica store.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 06:03:02 PM

No bottle opener, no corkscrew... This thing is terrible. :rofl:

Or Phillips  :-[ I'm out  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 02:23:39 AM

Well possibly you can get a replica on amazon... got mine at a replica store.
Thank you. Added to the "to get list"! May be part of a new edc.  :cheers:

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 06:35:13 AM
Well it's a hobo knife so different thing than SAK. Still very nice though, that's neat you had it for a long time. There's always so much cool things at flea markets. Never saw pocket knives around the one where I live now. Plenty of CB Radios and Scanner antennas though. That's where I got the nice wideband vertical for my BCT15x scanner :3

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 01:42:13 PM
Well it's a hobo knife so different thing than SAK. Still very nice though, that's neat you had it for a long time. There's always so much cool things at flea markets. Never saw pocket knives around the one where I live now. Plenty of CB Radios and Scanner antennas though. That's where I got the nice wideband vertical for my BCT15x scanner :3
The markets are great for CB and other radio items. I see a lot of Cobra stuff, but the sellers usually know what they are worth. Knives are not very common at low prices though. Easy to ship, so people ebay them a lot. Most of the people selling them put book/ebay prices on them at the markets as well. :ahhh

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 04:27:02 AM
...I would agree that I would not want to carry such an awkward knife around. I just keep a short spoon and a short fork in my camp bag. Who would want a spoon and fork that weighs as much as that hobo knife(it is very heavy for what it is!). :rofl:
LightMyFire titanium sporkI carry this in my lunch box for work. It's titanium so it barely weighs anything at all. This and a SAK are the only eating utensils I carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:28:33 AM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 05:29:32 AM
Awesome! Would love to see some pics to see if it is as poorly made as mine. The one I have just has "JAPAN" lightly stamped on the big blade.
True, but that is an old and non-winnable debate to be honest. Not one I want to get into. Some of the SAK guys can be vicious about their pocket knives. :ahhh:
On a side note: a thicker blade does not necessarily make it a better blade. The blade on my hobo is thicker than the one on my swiss champ, fisherman, tinker, climber and Ranger(only locking SAK I own). Just saying  ;)
Anyway, this is not a thread about old vs. new SAKs. It is not really a thread about SAKs either( :think:), but it certainly turned into one(I guess I should have not said that SAK didn't have a tool with built in fork/spoon/file at the time). Seems a lot of threads on MT.O end up SAK-jacked.  :rofl:

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline 3Stars@1Sun

Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 06:30:08 PM
I have had this thing for a long time. Something makes me think I got it at a flea market when I was a kid. It has all you need! Spoon, Fork, Wood Saw, Big and Small knife blades, can/bottle opener, scissors, cork screw(back), medium flat head(back), coarse/fine file(back), and an awl(back). I recon it is from the 1960s/1970s. Bone handle and bolster pin construction. Carbon steel as well.
The fit and finish is that of a purely cheap hand-made nature. I would never try and use this thing, but it is neat to have. What kind of early non-sak multitool knife based toola do y'all have?

Ooohh sweet memories of my Boy Scouts camping years  :cry:  If this thing counts as a MT then this would definitely have been my first  :salute:
I remember that the blade and the can opener would rust rather quickly after use if I did not wipe it clean properly...which now I know is because it was carbon steel.

Now I will have to try to look for this darn thing if it is still around in our house back in my home town  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%