Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool Madness Syndrome

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Multitool Madness Syndrome
Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 01:43:45 PM
Except it doesn't apply to everyone. I collect because I enjoy it, not because it is some bandaid solution to reality. I have always collected something or other as far as I can remember. I tend to be attracted to the story or history behind the items I collect. That is just the way I am wired. Never has the need for collecting been a negative for me. It is something that I enjoy doing. I may joke about being a hoarder, but I am the furthest removed from such as hoarders tend to not take care of their stuff and they are driven to keep buying. A true hoarder has a psychological problem.

I tend to have a few rules that govern me.

1. Only collect things that interest you.
2. Collect only what you can afford. At the end of the day, collections aren't all that important compared to food, shelter, family, and bills.
3. I never sell anything. This way I minimize any remorse down the road. With that said, if financial needs arise, this is a rule to break.
4. Share your collection. No point in collecting in secrecy as there is joy in sharing with folks.
5. Related with point 4, learn and educate with the community.
6. Collect up to a point. That point may be financial, difficulty in procurement, or storage space.
7. I never collect as an investment. Putting a financial spin on collecting, especially in the speculation of future gains/losses would have a negative impact on my enjoyment.

So there you have it. I am a happy go lucky collector that is not controled by his collections. I tend to move from hobby to hobby based on my interest at the time. I am sorry, but there is no pain involved.

:multi:

Yup, pretty much this...

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 01:44:10 PM
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 01:52:10 PM
It's an impulse control thing, with addiction elements, rather than a madness. But it can turn the wife mad.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 02:39:16 PM
Saw an article recently about a guy in South Africa with a huge Datsun/Nissan collection.

From how his collection started as a boy it would seem they weren't rich, but looking at his collection and where it's housed, he must be a fairly rich man today.....

Even the dedication it takes to keep that first car all these years is incredible.

It made me wonder if the collection drove them to success?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 05:27:42 PM
Saw an article recently about a guy in South Africa with a huge Datsun/Nissan collection.

From how his collection started as a boy it would seem they weren't rich, but looking at his collection and where it's housed, he must be a fairly rich man today.....

Even the dedication it takes to keep that first car all these years is incredible.

It made me wonder if the collection drove them to success?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Turtle X

Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 08:37:01 PM
Well as I dug through a shoebox of knives and multitools i realised something. I'm no longer a "user", I'm a collector. 12 SAKS, 6 pocket knives, and 4 plier based multi tools...and no hopes of rehabilitation in site. :facepalm: It doesn't help that MTO is basically AA for multis except we tempt each other to buy more rather than quit  :rofl:  They say acceptance is the first step to solving the problem, but is it a problem when your multis are so useful? ::)

I've sort of got it down to a system here's how you catch MMS (Multitool Madness Syndrome)
1. You carry a knife, need more tools.
2.Carry a swiss army knife for a while,miss having a locking blade. You also like the allure
of full sized pliers
3. Buy a plier multitool
4. You feel like a tool is missing, or you need more variety.(at this point there is no turning back for you, the brilliant marketers and online forums you lurk in have already trapped you in the continuing cycle)
5. Continue to collect,buy, and use multitools the rest of your life. At this point you have accepted your fate and are now like an archeologist looking for the Holy Grail of multi tools which you likely will never find

Enter: The mod squad

i originally started with leatherman then i got the bug ... at the height of my insanity i bought a box of 150 random multi-tools that were airport seizures. but i got better and cut back to just leatherman ... sort of .... mostly

us Offline superpaco

• Bigly bragadocious
Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 11:32:03 PM
The act of hoarding MTs and SAKs is anesthesia for this pain.  The act of reading MTO, posting here, looking at MTs and SAKs on the interweb, putting those MTs and SAKs on our Amazon wish list, buying the MT and waiting for it to arrive in our mailboxes - all of this serves to distract us from the angst.  And it works.   When you are waiting for a new Rebar to arrive today, you aren't thinking about your crappy job or car, or wondering where Kate Upton is.  You are focused on the present.

I don't know... You still seem to think quite a lot about Kate Upton.  ::)

Clearly you need more tools!  :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 :cheers:
Fair play!
Life is hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%