Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first SAKs.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
My first SAKs.
on: June 13, 2018, 02:05:38 AM
Well, you've got to start somewhere, and I figured I'd show the two SAKs that started the addiction. Granddad gave me one of those Chinese SAK clones, and it failed miserably and spectacularly (exploded simply from a lot of force put on the blade from whittling) and a Colonial Swiss Master, which always gave me trouble (roll pins, which aren't strong)

My first real SAK was this Fieldmaster, purchased at local store New Graham Knives May 2006. Carried it until I joined here (currently my main SAKs are the Tourist, CT34, 58mm Companion, and Fireman), now I have probably 30 SAKs (including Classics). Carried it in Boy Scouts, and around the farm and everywhere else. Abuse was various--messed up the snap on the openers layer with the awl (must have slightly bent the liner) when I was trying to open a set of welding torches for my grandfather, as the plastic was incredibly tough. Same day, I dropped the knife and bent the pen blade. Scissors are dinged--must have cut a wire.

My great-grandfather, who passed away in 1993, three years before I was born, carried this '80s Old Cross Pioneer, but not much. I found it in a drawer in 2007 here at the house.  It was my first Alox, and today, it still sees occasional carry, mostly for formal events when I need something classier than a banged up Soldier. Learning how to sharpen, I scratched the blades. In EDC use, it was replaced by a 1993 Soldier (the date was a pure coincidence, as this was the cheapest Soldier I'd found) two years ago.  I also have a Buck, Schrade, and Queen that were his. I also have a Clauss straight razor as well he regularly shaved with.

DSCF0165[1] by cody6268, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:08:27 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Re: My first SAKs.
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 02:51:22 AM
 :like:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:15:26 AM
Great story.  There is nothing cooler than having tangible artifacts of your relationships with your fathers and grandfathers.  Congratulations and well done. 

Myron

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:09:21 AM
Great story.  There is nothing cooler than having tangible artifacts of your relationships with your fathers and grandfathers.  Congratulations and well done. 

Myron
+1 I also have a Pioneer that used to be my great grand father's, it doesn't see much use but I appreciate having it

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:29:42 AM
Its nice you carry the OC from time to time.  I bet your great granddad is pretty happy about that.  Thanks for sharing your SAKs and story with us.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD