Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hello. I'm new here. Old Leatherman guy introduction.

us Offline Wandering_Smoke

Hello everybody. ...Now what to say? lol. ..I've carried an original Leatherman Super Tool since almost the beginning of production. Then I got another at the end of production. I never liked the design of other multi-tools or even other Leatherman models so that's all I've carried until now. I have occasionally thought about modding it since the very beginning (with scissors then) but I never got serious about it until now. But my old Super tool is worn out so I decided to buy a 300. I tried to like it. I wore it for three months but I just don't like it. For one, straight out of the package it closes crooked in two different ways. I won't get in to the rest of my reasons unless someone asks. BUT that turned out to be a good thing! Now I've been getting serious about refurbishing and upgrading my old friend. My habitual eBay wandering eventually led me to Loki's wrenches, which I'll buy very soon, and a StartPage search led me here. I hope you guys can help me out with a couple questions about what will and won't fit on both the original and 300 because now I've got a few interesting ideas. Not all Leatherman parts, or multi-tool parts either ;)

TLDR
Hello. I'm new. Reading the mod threads I think I'm as crazy as some of you. I plan to make my version of the ULTIMATE ORIGINAL MODEL SUPER TOOL!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Hello. I'm new here. Old Leatherman guy introduction.
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:14:50 AM
Glad to have you with us :tu: Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

Can't wait to see what you come up with as the OG Supertool is a favorite for many of us :cheers: I have gotten along with the 300 as well but it is completely in some ways to the original so I can see why one might have an aversion for it :salute:

Plenty of pics if you mod yours as well :popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:15:52 AM
Also if you dont mind I may move this to an area where it might get a few more new member type responses :tu:

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:31:44 AM
Woops, sorry about that. I guess I didn't scroll down far enough. I'll definitely post pics. The 300 won't get neglected. It just needs some major modification. I'll grind out that rolled bit of steel inside the main body, and in the process make it close correctly that way. That should also allow for a couple extra blades on each side. One will definitely be a Havalon.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:45:02 AM
Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 07:26:30 AM
Glad to hear your LM has served you well and will now have a new lease on life.  Hope you get your ST300 up to snuff.  There are a lot a great modders who can offer lots of advice.  Great to have you aboard and cant wait to see what you come up with. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:41:52 AM
Welcome to the MT madhouse! :)

I know how you feel. After carrying a Gerber pinchy for a decade, it took forever to feel like anything else was better. Eventually it happened, but I still think my first MT was perfect for my needs. Until I started buying different tools by the dozen(early on). Now I am buried in multitools and know I can't be THAT content with any particular tool again(not even my first). :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 09:00:02 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:  :salute:

Have you tried a Surge?  :pok:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:04:53 AM by Syncop8r »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 12:09:24 PM
Welcome to MTO! Glad to have you here.
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 03:44:47 PM
Hi Wandering_Smoke and welcome to  :MTO: :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 12:34:02 AM
I'll grind out that rolled bit of steel inside the main body, and in the process make it close correctly that way. That should also allow for a couple extra blades on each side. One will definitely be a Havalon.
You might get a few more tools in it, but you might also end up with the problem that the original Personal Survival Tool had: you can't squeeze the plier handles with any real force because the narrow edge bites into your hand.
And welcome to our community.
- Steve

Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:23:47 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:  :salute:

Have you tried a Surge?  :pok:

Surge blades open on the outside. I always thought that was a little dangerous. Plus there's alot of open space for dirt to get in. Cleaning seems like it would be tedious. Sorry. I like that blade changer though!

Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 01:34:47 AM
I'll grind out that rolled bit of steel inside the main body, and in the process make it close correctly that way. That should also allow for a couple extra blades on each side. One will definitely be a Havalon.
You might get a few more tools in it, but you might also end up with the problem that the original Personal Survival Tool had: you can't squeeze the plier handles with any real force because the narrow edge bites into your hand.

I never had that problem with the original. But when I need force I grab as far back as I can. On the 300 I'll keep the original blades on the far outside, and I'll carefully round off the housing with a file. That combination should eliminate any digging. Plus I'll have the two types of Leatherman blade changers in there, a sog Box cutter (v cutter) and a Havalon all next to the original blades on the outside. ...I think.

Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 01:40:09 AM

I never had that problem with the original. But when I need force I grab as far back as I can. On the 300 I'll keep the original blades on the far outside, and I'll carefully round off the housing with a file. That combination should eliminate any digging. Plus I'll have the two types of Leatherman blade changers in there, a sog Box cutter (v cutter) and a Havalon all next to the original blades on the outside. ...I think.

Or maybe I'll incorporate a SOG style hand guard. I dunno yet. I need the parts first, and my original comes before the 300 anyway. But you know I've been thinking lol.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 10:49:17 AM
Surge blades open on the outside. I always thought that was a little dangerous. Plus there's alot of open space for dirt to get in. Cleaning seems like it would be tedious. Sorry. I like that blade changer though!
Nah it's quite safe, I haven't had them open accidentally.
I guess it is more susceptible to dirt... I haven't had to clean mine yet, being a light user.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:54:35 AM by Syncop8r »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 03:33:09 PM
Welcome to the club Wandering_Smoke  :tu:
I'm looking forward to your mod.
Please don't hesitate to also post fails, we can all learn from it  :D

Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 04:32:57 AM
Welcome to the club Wandering_Smoke  :tu:
I'm looking forward to your mod.
Please don't hesitate to also post fails, we can all learn from it  :D

You know, I never thought of that. If something doesn't work or I make a mistake that I think might be repeated by somebody trying the same thing, I'll post it.

[EDIT]
Actually that comment is very reminiscent of my antique Kitchenaid model G mixer (predecessor to the Hobart N50) rebuild I did a few years ago. Maybe I should document any unique project for future generations.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:44:25 AM by Wandering_Smoke »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD