Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Original LM ST mod fitment questions.

us Offline Wandering_Smoke

Original LM ST mod fitment questions.
on: June 14, 2018, 04:40:44 AM
Hello everybody. I'm trying to revive my original Super Tool and and also customize it into the ultimate tool for me. I am very good with a dremel, jewelers files, and I can pretty much make any tiny parts I need (no lathe yet though). I'm hoping you guys can help me out with a few questions on what will work, and what I can make work with my old Super Tool.

So, to start with, I like the replaceable wire cutters in the 300 and Rebar. I'd use a dremel and MAKE those fit the original, but it's backwards. They made it completely impossible. So my question is, Will a Rebar plier head fit in the original ST handle? Owning a 300, I know that would fit with a bit of grinding, but it's still too long. I could make it work, but a Rebar would be best.

I want scissors! From what I know, scissors from a Pulse will work. Is there anything better?

I like the SOG V-Cutter, box/strap cutter thing. Will that fit in and lock properly in the housing of an original Super Tool?

This one I know for a fact. I'm going to modify a Havalon Forge and make it fit like it was designed to be there. The reason for choosing a Forge should obvious.

That's about it for the original. I'd like to have a blade changer but I think it would be too long. I don't need a bit driver because I love my vintage Craftsman 41466 ratcheting screwdriver. And if I need more force I've got an old palm ratchet.

So yeah, that's it for this one. Any help, suggestions or ideas are welcome!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Original LM ST mod fitment questions.
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 04:50:13 AM
To be completely honest, and I may be wrong, none of those mods have been done as you outlined. Maybe some serious retrofitting modders here have some ideas, but the original ST isn't a good modding platform from everything I know about it.

If you can do these mods, please take pictures and let us know what you did. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 04:59:29 AM
To be completely honest, and I may be wrong, none of those mods have been done as you outlined. Maybe some serious retrofitting modders here have some ideas, but the original ST isn't a good modding platform from everything I know about it.

Oddly enough that makes me happy. I hate stepping blind tnto the unknown, but it's extremely satisfying when I can make my vision real. ..I will take pictures of every step.

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 05:11:19 AM

Oddly enough that makes me happy. I hate stepping blind tnto the unknown, but it's extremely satisfying when I can make my vision real. ..I will take pictures of every step.

I do need to know if Rebar pliers will work with the original ST body though.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 05:52:32 AM
The replaceable cutters are kind of overrated. IMO
I have seen ST/ST200 (nearly identical plier heads) on ebay for <$20 before in like new condition. No worrying if a donor tool has screwy pliers that way. Just don't go around cutting ridiculous stuff and the cutters will last as long as you like(or at least until the pivot wears out [but there are fixes for that too]).
I think the plier swap to rebar pliers would end up being something you may regret. The ST/ST200 pliers are among my favorite (second to OG Surge/Core plier head).

The scissors would be much simpler. You would want to find scissors with the same pivot hole (those holes in LM tools can only be opened up properly with carbide glass bits) and similar (or larger) butt-end to facilitate shaping with a grinding system (dremel or cut off wheel or die grinder).
The Pulse scissors may work, but I can't attest to that. If they do, that is great. :)
Another option is the Vic SAK scissors. Even some amatuer modders have implemented SAK scissors into most LM MTs. Putting then into the ST seems like a reasonable proposition.

The V-cutter shouldn't be difficult, since it doesn't even have to lock (technically). Pivot hole would be the concern, but like I said, a carbide glass bit works wonders with hardened stainless.

A blade changer is a cool idea. From what I know,  the Surge blade changer won't work. But, the Gerber jigsaw blade changer is classic mod-fodder and can be tweaked to fit some LMs. The size would set into the ST handle and a short jigsaw blade shouldn't make it too long. So, in short, the Gerber blade exchanger may be a possible path. But, it will require a lot of modding, due to the fact the Gerber saf-t-plus system doesn't use a notch like LM does. The pivot may need to be modified.

I did a bit of digging around and that was all I could figure out. I am not a serious modder, but have a firm understanding of how the different systems on different brands work.
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you best of luck!  :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:34:40 AM

I do need to know if Rebar pliers will work with the original ST body though.

I would be very surprise, and glad if it does, even after modifcation. First thing you probably need to check would be the pivot size. I kind of think the OG ST pivot size is 4.5mm. I could be wrong, had never really thought about this before. Sorry I am out so I can't check on those info now. I like this kind of projects!  :like:

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 01:14:14 PM
The replaceable cutters are kind of overrated. IMO
I have seen ST/ST200 (nearly identical plier heads) on ebay for <$20 before in like new condition. No worrying if a donor tool has screwy pliers that way. Just don't go around cutting ridiculous stuff and the cutters will last as long as you like(or at least until the pivot wears out [but there are fixes for that too]).
I think the plier swap to rebar pliers would end up being something you may regret. The ST/ST200 pliers are among my favorite (second to OG Surge/Core plier head).

The scissors would be much simpler. You would want to find scissors with the same pivot hole (those holes in LM tools can only be opened up properly with carbide glass bits) and similar (or larger) butt-end to facilitate shaping with a grinding system (dremel or cut off wheel or die grinder).
The Pulse scissors may work, but I can't attest to that. If they do, that is great. :)
Another option is the Vic SAK scissors. Even some amatuer modders have implemented SAK scissors into most LM MTs. Putting then into the ST seems like a reasonable proposition.

The V-cutter shouldn't be difficult, since it doesn't even have to lock (technically). Pivot hole would be the concern, but like I said, a carbide glass bit works wonders with hardened stainless.

A blade changer is a cool idea. From what I know,  the Surge blade changer won't work. But, the Gerber jigsaw blade changer is classic mod-fodder and can be tweaked to fit some LMs. The size would set into the ST handle and a short jigsaw blade shouldn't make it too long. So, in short, the Gerber blade exchanger may be a possible path. But, it will require a lot of modding, due to the fact the Gerber saf-t-plus system doesn't use a notch like LM does. The pivot may need to be modified.

I did a bit of digging around and that was all I could figure out. I am not a serious modder, but have a firm understanding of how the different systems on different brands work.
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you best of luck!  :cheers:

Thank you very much! Very useful information! I actually ruined the wire cutters on mine by cutting something I shouldn't have. Then it stuck closed until I ground off that edge. After that the wire cutters were useless.

I'll look in to the Gerber blade changer. Thanks.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 03:39:31 PM
You're welcome, W Smoke! :cheers:

Search around this Mod Squad sub-forum. People like Sam Lim(who posted earlier) and others have some incredible mods to check out. :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 04:04:16 PM
I love the OG ST and can't wait to see if any of these mods are doable :like: I am seriously doubting that the replaceable cutter plier heads from the 300 or the Rebar will go :think: I will be glad to be wrong if you get them to go though :tu: The PST 2/OG Wave scissors will also be something to look at as they were designed around the same time the Supertool was put into production :cheers: Good luck with the mods and :popcorn:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 06:58:18 AM
I would just like to report that, surprisingly the wave/rebar pliers head will lock up nicely when open. It's a little thinner than the OG plier, so some washers between the frame and the plier will solve the problem.

I have some reservations on the pst 2 scissors though. Those require the back springs to work. When both the scissors main part and the spring are locked, I am thinking the scissors spring will not work..

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%