Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Long-time Bushcrafting Axe -- Short Hudson Bay

il Offline israelpiper

Long-time Bushcrafting Axe -- Short Hudson Bay
on: June 14, 2018, 11:15:30 AM
HUDSON BAY ONE-HAND AXE
Handle length 36cm;  Head length 15cm; Blade 10cm; Head weight 0.8k

I have been using this one-handed axe almost exclusively with a choked-up grip, for almost 30 years now. No brand, very inexpensive. I did have to put an edge on it, but I never really reprofiled. Perhaps if I split fire wood or felled trees I would have had to. But this is no splitting maul, or efficient feller. I was always intending to reset the head more neatly, but, the head has never loosened. 

The grain in the Hickory handle is very good, and the curves in the handle very comfortable. The knob is a fawn's foot. I do knock off thorns and small side-branches using a mid-handle grip, and rarely a bottom handle grip. There are three nice  positions on the handle: Shoulder, Back, and Grip.  The balance between head and handle is almost perfect in the choke position.

Back in Europe where this axe was developed, and in the European frontiersmen culture of the New World, a short axe was often used as a knife, where the weight of the head made many tasks easier. No doubt the typical voyageurs and trackers had an instinct for when to use a knife, and when to use an axe.

While I am looking for a smaller hatchet for bushcrafting, I'll not retire this one any time soon. I paid about the equivalent of $3-4 several decades ago. A true bargain. The Hickory handle with the proper grain alignment was worth the price by itself. Makes me doubt China as the origin, especially 30 years ago.   
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:22:54 AM by israelpiper »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Long-time Bushcrafting Axe -- Short Hudson Bay
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 02:41:36 PM

Nice looking axe and love the shape of the handle  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 05:38:19 AM
This axe has the best Hickory handle of all the cheap axes I've ever owned. Never bought one of those top-reputation Scandinavian or Finnish axes,  though I would love to. I've handled a few with straight handles. I prefer though the three different grips and highly shaped handles. On a long swinging feller bite and chop are important and a less complex handle shape will do. But a small axe-as-knife  needs a different sort of hand feel.

Ironically with excellent Scandinavian and Finnish axes all over the world now forged from known high quality steel, many people prize refurbishing old rusty,  pitted axe heads and afixxing custom handles--despite not knowing what steel was used. My cheap no-brand axe takes a wicked edge, and holds it well. Some outdoor store axes are made from ridiculously soft or brittle steel, and chip or roll first day out.

Never had a Tops or Marble. Any used their axes?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:42:37 AM by israelpiper »

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 06:37:29 AM
You've certainly been lucky to get such good service from such a cheap tool. I doubt I could buy a used axe at a market in as good a shape as it still is now for that low a price  :tu:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 08:40:54 AM
nice axe
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 05:30:39 PM
You've certainly been lucky to get such good service from such a cheap tool. I doubt I could buy a used axe at a market in as good a shape as it still is now for that low a price  :tu:

I think that using like a knife, in a choking up grip, is easy on an axe compared to splitting or felling. The weight of the head does most of the work. Hence longevity. It may well have frecked long ago if I chopped the family firewood or took down ironwood trees with it.

Offline BertnErnie

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 11:52:23 PM
Wow, that thing is really graceful.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 10:20:26 PM
Nice axe! Sounds like its given you good service. Finding a good hickory with properly aligned grain is a rare thing in todays world.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD