Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rocket Stoves

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Rocket Stoves
on: June 14, 2018, 09:51:34 PM
I am thinking of making a simple rocket stove/incinerator, mainly to dispose of rose prunings and other excess stickage - any other ideas out there?
I am also looking at DIY metal ones on YouTube.

For those wondering how you might cook food in a situation with no power, maybe consider this simple rocket stove design. Rocket stoves are good because they don't use a lot of fuel and you can feed long branches in without having to cut them up.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Re: Rocket Stoves
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:41:58 PM
I guess it depends on what you have easy access to. I have a couple of pallets of house bricks so if I was to build one I'd be starting with those rather than buying any materials

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:49:43 PM
I would like it to be portable if possible.
Also I'm interested in producing biochar to put back on the garden although I don't really know much about it...

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 11:03:43 AM
Biochar or char of any kind requires a lack of oxygen to stop the char from turning to ash. Have a look at Skillcult's videos on YouTube about burning brush piles to make biochar. As for a portable rocket stove, search for videos, I'm sure there's lots

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 11:02:07 AM
How about ye time-honoured 44 gallon drum incinerator? Cut ventilation holes around the bottom with an angle grinder. Make one hole big enough that you can get a spade in to clean out the ash. Use the lid to line the bottom of the drum to prolong its life. I got my drums from the local resource recovery, cost about $10 each.

I use mine primarily to dispose of ivy but they'll burn anything. I have three scattered around the property (sort of lifestyle block) but if you're fit and strong you might find they're reasonably portable. Best thing to do is to set it up on a wide bed of pavers or gravel to catch embers falling out the holes. They can burn very hot and fiercely (which is what you want!). Keep clear of trees and have a hose at hand. Also be mindful of yr local fire regulations!
Rambler

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 12:54:22 PM
Oooh I HATE ivy.... just dug and pulled out a whole heap at my Mum's place.
I want something much smaller than a 44gal drum as I would like it to be quite portable and it would only be used on a 1/4 acre section.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 01:51:15 PM
Sounds like you need a 9kg gas bottle size...

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 02:01:58 PM
Yeah or even this size:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41