Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

World cup 2018

dks · 377 · 9428

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: World cup 2018
Reply #90 on: July 01, 2018, 07:53:05 PM
I won 5 quid thanks to Russias win.   :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #91 on: July 01, 2018, 09:28:32 PM
Croatian strategy... slow down the game until Denmark is favorite, then hope Denmark gets the "Curse of the Favorite" :think:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #92 on: July 01, 2018, 09:34:24 PM
I won 5 quid thanks to Russias win.   :D

Excellent  :cheers:

... That'll pay for the Jaffas you owe me and Mags!  :2tu:

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #93 on: July 01, 2018, 10:01:13 PM
Gotta say, I have really enjoyed this World Cup so far, there have been some really great games and performances. A few highlights for me up to this point:

Spain v Portugal 3-3 was a classic. Spain had a 20-minute period where they’d have blown any other team away, but Portugal hung on, backed themselves, played their own game and took on Spain head-on.

Columbia turning it on against Poland. Falcao razor sharp again after his terrible injury, James Rodriguez different gravy with his passing.

Croatia making a very talented Argentina side look very ordinary.

England keeping their heads for once when time was running out in the Tunisia game and kept on probing & passing, not just lumping it into the box.

Today’s matches not so good to watch, but interesting to see two limited sides in Russia and Denmark putting the squeeze on Spain and Croatia.

And the video reviews seem to be working pretty well.

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #94 on: July 01, 2018, 10:04:55 PM
Oh and I left off my list Suarez and Cavani absolutely running their nuts off in yesterday’s match, just great to see fantastic, talented players putting in that kind of graft, it must inspire their team mates.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #95 on: July 01, 2018, 10:35:15 PM
PENALTIES!!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: July 01, 2018, 10:58:36 PM
Croatian strategy... slow down the game until Denmark is favorite, then hope Denmark gets the "Curse of the Favorite" :think:
And it worked...  by missing the penalty Denmark became favorite for the penalties and Croatia won :P ::)

Also, good job from the Swiss player keeping the nerves :D

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #97 on: July 01, 2018, 11:02:53 PM
I think Croatia probably deserved the win in the end. Good effort from Denmark though.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #98 on: July 01, 2018, 11:12:12 PM
Fun game. Seemed to flow back and forth nicely.

Impressive performance by both goalies.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #99 on: July 01, 2018, 11:50:48 PM

Yes - absolutely!  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #100 on: July 02, 2018, 01:07:18 PM
Oh and I left off my list Suarez and Cavani absolutely running their nuts off in yesterday’s match, just great to see fantastic, talented players putting in that kind of graft, it must inspire their team mates.

The best game Portugal played. The second goal from Uruguay was awesome! I think Portugal deserved the chance to at least have an overtime. It was at least some satisfaction to see the powerful uruguay having 11 men defending against Portugal.

:salute: :cheers:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #101 on: July 02, 2018, 01:09:23 PM
A small note to say the portuguese team had hundreds of supporters waiting at the airport in Lisbon when they arrived. They lost but they're not losers!

Well done, guys!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

hr Offline styx

Reply #102 on: July 02, 2018, 10:17:50 PM

Yes - absolutely!  :tu:

And it worked...  by missing the penalty Denmark became favorite for the penalties and Croatia won :P ::)

Also, good job from the Swiss player keeping the nerves :D

now if i could just get my voice and hearing back for the next game it would be great. had only three beers, tried to throw only 27 bottles (7 at the tv and 20 at hipsters). when did i become so civilized.
but yes the second half they played, i don't know what but it wasn't football. now i'm wondering if FIFA in its infinite wisdom will appoint Danish refs for the Russia game. that ref did us no favors
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: July 03, 2018, 02:07:43 PM
now if i could just get my voice and hearing back for the next game it would be great. had only three beers, tried to throw only 27 bottles (7 at the tv and 20 at hipsters). when did i become so civilized.
but yes the second half they played, i don't know what but it wasn't football. now i'm wondering if FIFA in its infinite wisdom will appoint Danish refs for the Russia game. that ref did us no favors
That bad huh? I was a bit disappointed in the Croatian team but they pulled through... still hope to see them in the final.

Poor hipsters, now they don't just look like homeless, they also smell like them. They probably consider that a fashion statement.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #104 on: July 03, 2018, 04:58:47 PM
IMG_20180628_193454.jpg
* IMG_20180628_193454.jpg (Filesize: 292.86 KB)
IMG_20180628_195036.jpg
* IMG_20180628_195036.jpg (Filesize: 279.1 KB)
IMG_20180702_205125.jpg
* IMG_20180702_205125.jpg (Filesize: 209.19 KB)
IMG_20180702_205128.jpg
* IMG_20180702_205128.jpg (Filesize: 232.65 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #105 on: July 03, 2018, 09:12:11 PM
Some quite despicable behaviour from Columbia in the first half!  :o

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #106 on: July 03, 2018, 09:43:04 PM
If only it were more like basketball......

hr Offline styx

Reply #107 on: July 03, 2018, 10:19:20 PM
That bad huh? I was a bit disappointed in the Croatian team but they pulled through... still hope to see them in the final.

Poor hipsters, now they don't just look like homeless, they also smell like them. They probably consider that a fashion statement.

yea it was that bad. now I'm wondering if this tournament is favouring defensive teams that use quick counters rather than more agile and open teams. spain and switzerland didn't do well against russia and sweden, we barely pulled through

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #108 on: July 03, 2018, 10:40:58 PM
PENALTIES!!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #109 on: July 03, 2018, 11:04:16 PM

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: July 03, 2018, 11:06:42 PM
Oi! That gif’s not tall enough!

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #111 on: July 03, 2018, 11:09:48 PM
That gif's soooooo me!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #112 on: July 03, 2018, 11:11:03 PM
So you’re a discretion shot?

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #113 on: July 03, 2018, 11:16:44 PM
I am... if I knew what that meant?

hr Offline styx

Reply #114 on: July 04, 2018, 07:52:25 AM
so 3 games ended with penalties

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #115 on: July 04, 2018, 01:22:44 PM

yea it was that bad. now I'm wondering if this tournament is favouring defensive teams that use quick counters rather than more agile and open teams. spain and switzerland didn't do well against russia and sweden, we barely pulled through
Greece 2004 yawn... not what we want to see...

Sadly, I sometimes get the feeling that those attacking teams do not really want to go for the goal, they seem to be more hoping for a corner or a foul resulting in a free-kick/penalty.

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #116 on: July 04, 2018, 04:43:05 PM
“Sadly, I sometimes get the feeling that those attacking teams do not really want to go for the goal, they seem to be more hoping for a corner or a foul resulting in a free-kick/penalty”

Yeah there’s something in that. I read an article on Spain after they lost to Russia the other day, ‘Sterile Possession’ it was called; Spain had a period of more than 40 minutes with overwhelming possession but not a single shot on target, which is remarkable. If a team have an attempt on goal but do not score, then possession goes back to the other side, I think Spain in particular have got too obsessed with possession at all costs, above everything else, even above trying to score a goal because they see it as a risk to losing the ball, however briefly?

Even in 2010 when they won, they did so with four consecutive 1-0 wins (I think) in the knockout stages. They won through dominating possession, not through blitzing the other teams with chance after chance.

Spain are / were the most extreme example of that approach - and they were supremely successful with it, totally dominant in 08, 10 and 12, but I wonder if this lack of adventure, reluctance to take a risk in order to score, has become a problem.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #117 on: July 04, 2018, 07:19:13 PM
The "tiki taka" of Spain is not a bad thing, their failure was that it wasn't in movement as the past, only static passes and entirely too many minor ball corrections and that was their downfall since the opponents had loads of time to set up a defensive perimeter, preventing any chances of a clear shot. I honestly feel like this was coming anyways as Spain have always just scraped by with minimum goals, even when they won.

Firing the head coach who spent the last 2 years building the squad 2 days before the tournament started was also not the brightest of ideas.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #118 on: July 04, 2018, 09:07:22 PM
I missed a few days of matches but those I watched were interesting. A decade ago they were a lot more boring.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #119 on: July 05, 2018, 01:07:08 PM
I missed a few days of matches but those I watched were interesting. A decade ago they were a lot more boring.

A decade ago you were an impatient young lad...

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD