Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My weekend

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
My weekend
on: June 18, 2018, 01:14:49 PM
This weekend went horribly awry, but we managed to have some fun anyway!

We had booked a cap site last minute, and, while hitching up our camper it rolled off the blocks and landed on my leg, which may or may not have resulted in me breaking my ankle, yet again.   :facepalm:

Still, I wasn't going to let a little thing like a broken ankle ruin our weekend, so I continued on hitching the trailer up, picked up Megan for work and we drove out to the campground, just over an hour away and set up the trailer.  After getting it all set up Megan noted the excessive amount of swelling in my ankle and the difficulty I was having in walking, and decided that camping wasn't really an option for the weekend, so I broke camp and re-packed everything and we drove back to the city.   :facepalm:

I spent the next few hours of our exciting Friday night in the hospital, getting my foot and knee x-rayed (the trailer actually fell on my knee, which caused a hyperextension of my ankle), and it turned out that nothing was broken, and that I should just take it easy for a few days, and we broke camp for nothing.  Still, I suppose it was a good thing that we got it checked out.

However, my version of "taking it easy" and that of the general medical community may differ slightly, so instead of spending the weekend with my feet up in front of the TV, we went to the Farmer's market, then the RV show to look at other campers.  Then we did some shopping.  :D

Sunday I loaded up the boats and we went off to a place we have paddled once before ( a few weeks ago), and is the one location that everyone has told me that I need to paddle- a place called Petrie Island.  We only explored the interior of the island last time, and this time we decided to circumnavigate the island, which shouldn't be too much of a problem.  One side is very sheltered while the other side is exposed to the Ottawa River, which is very large and heavily trafficked by power boats, Seadoos and other annoyances. 

I had also brought my old Kodak, figuring there would be some wildlife to take pictures of, and the optical zoom on it is always better than the digital zoom on my phone.  We saw a good selection of herons and cormorants, although I didn't get as many great pics of them.  I did however get some good shots of these guys- Northern Map turtles, sitting on a log and enjoying the sun.

The water was calm and, because it was fairly early there weren't a lot of power boats out there.  There was also very little wind, which was nice- just enough of a breeze to help cool you off, but not enough to impede your progress.

There's a causeway that leads from the mainland to the island, and we weren't sure whether the two large culverts were navigable, but as it turned out, it wasn't a problem at all.

In fact, we not only went through it (going upstream) but we also doubled back (downstream) to paddle through the local marina and then back upstream again to get to our start point, as you can see on the tracker.

As you can see, we succeeded in circumnavigating the island, and despite what the temp on the tracker says, it was actually closer to 30C.

All in all I suppose it was ok that we didn't go camping, especially since we got our money back for it, but I am still frustrated that I dropped the trailer on my leg.  After all, it's not the first problem and injury I have had from this thing!   :ahhh

We still ended up having a great weekend.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: My weekend
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 01:40:04 PM
Nice - looks serene.  :)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 01:48:07 PM
Glad you didn't break anything at least. Hope it gets better soon.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:18:03 PM
Nice - looks serene.  :)

It was for a bit.  Once we got around to the open side of the water the waves were a bit bigger and the boat traffic picked up, but it's nice to get a bit of chop every now and then to keep things interesting.  I really enjoy surfing the wakes off bigger boats and bigger waves, so we had a really good time.  It was a fantastic mixture of serene quiet waterways and big open water, with a little but of river current launching you along through the culverts.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 02:29:32 PM
Since it seems that I forgot to post pics of the last time we went paddling at Petrie Island, here they are.  That time we mostly explored the interior waterways of the island and it was really cool- it felt like we were paddling in the bayou, but without having to worry about dem dere gators!

It was pretty cool to be paddling around trees and such, which is something that doesn't happen often here.

We had a lot of fun that day too, even i it was a relatively short trip.  Again, we saw herons, cormorants, geese, sparrows, swallows and turtles, as the island is considered a protected area because of the cool wildlife there.

We also saw giant fish in there, which makes us pretty certain that we are going to drag a couple of lines next time we paddle there and see if we can bring a couple home with us!

If anyone wants to know more about Petrie Island, please visit your local library.... or click this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrie_Island

Def

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 03:40:04 PM
Way to go Def...and glad you didn't break anything!!
Barry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 03:43:10 PM
Way to go Def...and glad you didn't break anything!!

There's still time.   >:D

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 03:50:25 PM
Great pics and wonderful location to paddle.  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 03:52:27 PM
Looks like a fun trip, Def. (of course, I mean after the injury.)

Be careful with that ankle, torn ligaments often heal more slowly than broken bones. You've got more adventures ahead!

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 04:39:11 PM
Way to salvage the weekend !  Great pics as always   :like: :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 06:44:16 PM
Looks like a fun trip, Def. (of course, I mean after the injury.)

Be careful with that ankle, torn ligaments often heal more slowly than broken bones. You've got more adventures ahead!

Not when you break bones the way I do- my other ankle still isn't healed and it's been 17 years.... :P

Def

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 01:18:32 AM
Ha!

I've got a couple of breaks that still ache when the weather changes, but it's the meniscal tears in the knees, the torn ligaments in the elbow, and the spinal disks that bother me on a regular basis.

Gimme a broken bone any day. That damn elbow tendonosis really gets my smurf up.   :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 12:19:06 PM
Yeah, I have torn ligaments as well and they do bother me from time to time, but the full reconstruction of my left ankle after I shattered the giant bone in my heel has given me more problems than any other injury.

Def

se Offline RF52

Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 05:05:08 PM
Heal up and keep posting kayaking adventures

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 12:43:26 PM
Since it seems that I forgot to post pics of the last time we went paddling at Petrie Island, here they are.  That time we mostly explored the interior waterways of the island and it was really cool- it felt like we were paddling in the bayou, but without having to worry about dem dere gators!

Paddling through a forest.  :like:

Did you ever try out packrafts? I like kayaks but they are somewhat hard to transport.  :think:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 01:32:33 PM
Glad it turned out to be nothing too serious and you managed to enjoy some of the planned trip.
 :cheers: :tu:

Next time, remember: you're Batman but you're not that Batman, Def!

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 06:47:08 PM

Paddling through a forest.  :like:

Did you ever try out packrafts? I like kayaks but they are somewhat hard to transport.  :think:

Paddling through the forest was indeed very cool!

I'm pretty much hooked on kayaks, although I have been looking at some inflatables lately.  I'd love to have a Zodiac with a small motor on it.  But I don't usually have too much trouble getting my kayaks around.  I have a nice utility trailer set up to haul them and the whole mess has gone some very long distances with me in the past.

Glad it turned out to be nothing too serious and you managed to enjoy some of the planned trip.
 :cheers: :tu:

Next time, remember: you're Batman but you're not that Batman, Def!

I feel like Batman... You know, right after Bane snapped his spine!  :P

My foot still isn't working properly but I'm doing my best to keep it from stopping me from doing what I want to do.  The result is I'm getting things done but I'm in a fair bit of pain while doing it.  Sadly I'm not very good at sitting still and doing nothing.   :facepalm:

Def

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 09:17:29 PM
Also glad you didn't break anything.  Something that old is going to be hard to get parts for. :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 11:52:04 PM
Also glad you didn't break anything.  Something that old is going to be hard to get parts for. :D

Part of me wants to ban you for that comment, but mostly I'm thinking this has to be the best comment I have read all week!

Def

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 02:26:32 AM
Dude: R.I.C.E.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Note that 'Rest' is idea number one.

Do yerself a favor and give that ankle a chance to heal a bit.  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 02:55:48 AM
What is most worrying is the bruising.  Theres a slight discoloration on the top of my foot right where it connects to the leg, but there's a dime sized purple spot on the side of my foot.  I know, a dime sized bruise is no big deal, but I don't bruise.

Seriously, I have had some major injuries over the years and have absolutely no marks to show from many of them, so if I get even a slight bruise it's usually quite serious.

I've been using my cane for most of my "out of the house" walking except for walking the dogs as there's no way to handle them both while using a cane.  The weather is supposed to be rainy all weekend so maybe I'll try to get off it a bit.

Def

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 03:45:30 AM
Hmmmmm.....focal bruising and general swelling is actually a bit concerning.

I know the initial X-rays were negative, but.....a hair-line fracture may not show up on X-ray for a day or maybe a week.

Seriously, it may be worth getting a repeat set of X-rays. I had a motorcycle crash a few years a go. The X-rays 48 hours later were 'negative' for fracture, but the orthopedic surgeon wasn't so sure. He put me in a cast and re-X-rayed me two weeks later. Sure enough, the was a hairline fracture. And I ended up in a cast for 8 weeks.

I'm just sayin'....take it easy, and it may be worth getting a second opinion.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 09:03:35 AM

Part of me wants to ban you for that comment, but mostly I'm thinking this has to be the best comment I have read all week!

Def
I meant the camper, not the ankle.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 02:49:19 PM

Def

It was funnier when I thought you were talking about me!  :D

And yes, parts for the camper aren't cheap, when you can find them.  There's a company in Oregon that sells both original parts and reproductions that everyone with these swears by, but I have been tempted to buy an extra trailer or two for whatever parts I need, figuring that might be cheaper!

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 05:16:23 PM

Def

It was funnier when I thought you were talking about me!  :D

And yes, parts for the camper aren't cheap, when you can find them.  There's a company in Oregon that sells both original parts and reproductions that everyone with these swears by, but I have been tempted to buy an extra trailer or two for whatever parts I need, figuring that might be cheaper!

Def

He was...

Nice save, though.

:hatsoff:  :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 05:17:30 PM
Hmmmmm.....focal bruising and general swelling is actually a bit concerning.

I know the initial X-rays were negative, but.....a hair-line fracture may not show up on X-ray for a day or maybe a week.

Seriously, it may be worth getting a repeat set of X-rays. I had a motorcycle crash a few years a go. The X-rays 48 hours later were 'negative' for fracture, but the orthopedic surgeon wasn't so sure. He put me in a cast and re-X-rayed me two weeks later. Sure enough, the was a hairline fracture. And I ended up in a cast for 8 weeks.

I'm just sayin'....take it easy, and it may be worth getting a second opinion.

General Swelling!

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 06:36:26 PM
My foot is feeling better now, not all the way there, but it only hurts a lot occasionally, so I'm not ready for the tactical walked just yet....

So to reward it I had another adventure over the weekend, and have been working on my kayak all week.  :D

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 07:28:31 PM
You have a very solid frame Grant....  (insert classic joke line)   :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%