Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Torx sizes?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Torx sizes?
on: June 19, 2018, 03:36:31 PM
If you were assembling a bit set that would include Torx bits for maintaining tools, knives and other gadgets, as well as every day use, what sizes would you absolutely want?

I'm also interested to know what each size is used for, so if you could include what you would use it on along with the size, that would be very helpful.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Torx sizes?
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 03:40:11 PM
T6 = aftermarket SAK pivot fixing screws
Security T10 = Leatherman Wave screws

Also, add a 2mm or 5/64" hex key for Sebenza pivot screws :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 03:41:53 PM
Good question, boss.

While evaluating the SOG PAD, I realized that most of the included Torx bits are probably smaller than I typically use. But that may just be me and my world. I'll get back on this question with some more detailed answers and reasons.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 07:21:55 PM
T6 = aftermarket SAK pivot fixing screws
Security T10 = Leatherman Wave screws

Also, add a 2mm or 5/64" hex key for Sebenza pivot screws :like:

I am thinking a T8 works for the replaceable cutters :think:  Can someone else confirm this :cheers: Been a while since I have had to tighten any so I can't remember for sure :salute:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:32:31 PM
T6, T8, T9, T10, T15 and T25 - I think you'd be well covered with that. Also, make sure you get Torx Pro or Tamper Proof (the ones with the hole) as then you'll be doubly covered!  :2tu:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 09:38:19 PM
Lately I remember using T20, T25 and T27 for various wood screws. Not sure if that counts as everyday use though.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 09:44:17 PM
It was only a few days ago that I learned of the existence of torx wood screws by finding them in Lidl.  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 10:01:10 PM
Here are my votes:

T-27: used in motorcycle
T-25: also used in motorcycle
T-15: also used in motorcyle and handy for some general purpose screws
T-8 :  fasteners in some folding knives
T-6 : myriad uses in gear, clips, knives, custom SAK bolts

I also seem to think T-10's are useful, but I can't recall why......... :shrug:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 10:13:44 PM
I use T10, T15 and T20 daily for install purposes.

Now, like others said, get the security version whenever you can. The hole doesn't matter on regular Torx screws, but are needed on the security ones.

Before Torx, we used Robertsons in our company. No2 I think it was...
They were dirt cheap since nobody bought those Canadian things here and at the same time, other people couldn't open our equipment because they didn't realise a flathead would fit too :facepalm:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 10:35:32 PM
Here are my votes:

T-27: used in motorcycle
T-25: also used in motorcycle
T-15: also used in motorcyle and handy for some general purpose screws
T-8 :  fasteners in some folding knives
T-6 : myriad uses in gear, clips, knives, custom SAK bolts

I also seem to think T-10's are useful, but I can't recall why......... :shrug:

This!

Matches my list, but as mentioned I would include the T-10. With these sizes you should be pretty well covered for all your knife clip, handle, and pivot screws, as well as the larger sizes for car/motorcycle matenince. I would highly suggest including a T-50 and T-55 if you plan on any sort of car matenence though. Definitely buy them in the security torx variety as the security torx can be used on security and non security bits just the same. If you are planning on piecing toghether a set I would just buy a complete set to be honest. Some sets do not include all these sizes mentioned and if so you can buy a single bit to accommodate your needs. Also, there are many different types of torx bits out there. Different amount of points. 5 or 6 point, both in security and non security. As well as torx plus and pentalobe. I believe there are at least 2 or 3 other style torx as well in security and non security varieties. The most common are 5 or 6 point (6 point is the most common if I remember correctly) so I would stick with those for now.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 03:39:52 AM
+1 on T6, T8, and T10 if you expect to fiddle with folding knives. Seems like that’s all I use for those. For fixed blades maybe include hex for the scales, just depends on your knife for the size.

That how I carry my bIts is I carry only what I typically use plus a few not so used.

Good stuff man, made me rethink what I have in my bag. Thanks for that.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 08:18:51 AM
T6, T8, T10, TX10, T15, T25 and T40 cover 99% of all the Torx in computers. Throw in T20, T27 and T30 and you have covered all but smartphones / tablets and some exotic stuff.
Around here Spax screws are fairly common for wooden constructions, so a T20plus (there are others, but the T20plus covers most of it and unlike safety torx, regular ones work with Spax screws, just don't fit as well) would complete the list

I have encountered T5 on a toy car and a T7 on a cheapo pocket calculator.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 09:11:45 AM
I am thinking a T8 works for the replaceable cutters :think:  Can someone else confirm this :cheers: Been a while since I have had to tighten any so I can't remember for sure :salute:

Yup, Leatherman replaceable wire-cutters are Torx 8.

Torx 8 and sometimes 9 are also used by off-brand multi-tools, like Coast and Ganzo.
Bear & Son multi-tools also use T10.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 01:17:49 PM
as others said, T6, T8, and T10 cover 95% of the Torx found in tools, multitools, pocket knives' pivots, clips and hardware, and other gear like some lights, lighters, stoves, gizmos and gadgets  :tu:

These are the ones I carry everywhere  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Walley

Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 02:32:34 PM
for my uses i carry T6,T8,T15,T20 all in security bits (with the hole down the center)
it seems at least 50% of the torx i come across are security screws in things like camera housings, lock hardware and various equipment.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 04:54:37 PM
T6, T8 and T10 for SAKs, MTs and folders... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 10:12:53 PM
What's used the most from me is T8, T10, T15 ...and T30 sometimes for centering the disc brakes on my MTB.

But as I like to be prepared I end up packing T8, T10 and T15 into my Rebar sheath.

And T10, T15, T20, T27 and T30 into my Surge sheath.

:shrug:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 10:27:14 PM
So, for those of you who lost count......

T-6  : 9
T-8  : 11
T-9  : 2
T-10: 11
T-15: 7
T-20: 5
T-25: 5
T-27: 4
T-30: 1
T-40: 1
T-50: 1
T-55: 1

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 08:57:55 AM
So, for those of you who lost count......

Thanks...

Seems about right. T27 and smaller from this list probably cover most of torx needs around the globe. T6/8/10 will probably service any knife.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 03:03:33 PM
A small note about the security hole vs not. The security ones will fit all and are more versatile for that reason. However they are also weaker. I've twisted off at least two security hole ones (that I can remember), and that has never happened to me with a normal torx bit.

Small Torx sizes are also common on indexable tools used in machining. Those are better used with some torque wrench - that might be theme for other Torx uses too?

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 03:30:00 PM
This is a great list

Problem is no matter what I have on me I always need the one I don't have.  ???
I think design engineers change things up like that on purpose. :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 04:14:03 PM
I think design engineers change things up like that on purpose. :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

We're smurfs like that. >:D

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 04:15:01 PM
A small note about the security hole vs not. The security ones will fit all and are more versatile for that reason. However they are also weaker. I've twisted off at least two security hole ones (that I can remember), and that has never happened to me with a normal torx bit.

+1.  Has happened to me on more than one occasion.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 05:52:23 PM
So which one(s) specifically would need to be security bits?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 06:10:32 PM
Me, I'd stick with the stronger, standard bits unless I had a specific need for a security bit.

I've run into a couple of situations where a security bit was required, but that seems very rare. I can't actually recall when I last needed a security Torx.  (My experience only.)

When traveling by car or motorcycle, I usually have a set of folding Torx drivers in a tool bag.

Interesting to note that the drivers that show the most use/wear are T-10, T-20, T-25, and T-27.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 07:42:27 PM

+1.  Has happened to me on more than one occasion.

+2

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 07:54:02 PM
I had some small 4mm hex drive Torx bits but a couple stripped and I never replaced them.  :-\

What I currently have is good for most everything except the smaller electronics sizes, T5 through T9 (which I should get).  :facepalm:

In my tool bag in Vic holders, T10,15, 20, 25, 27, 30, and 40. Also the 5 pointed ones from Loki for LM's, 2 of each, all security.

In my toolbox, 1/4" socket T15, 20, 25, and 3/8" socket T30, 40, 45, 50. Also separate T60 which I think I needed for a seat belt attachment, and an old T15 I got many years ago when they switched from using Phillips to Torx (almost all T15 at the time) on automotive trim.  :salute:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:07:49 PM by twiliter »

ca Offline Walley

Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 11:11:42 PM
So which one(s) specifically would need to be security bits?

Def
In my job i come across security screws probably 80% of the time (facility maintenance)
usually its T6,T8, T15 and T20
T6 and T8 tend to be used on security camera housings and T15 would be for electronic door locks.
T15 and T20 are commonly used on equipment like vacuums, carpet extractors and kitchen equipment, elevators and fire panels. they are becoming more popular in alot of places.
it's strange that this topic has come up because i have been planning on modifying some of my leatherman bits by drilling a hole down the center to turn them into security bits! (i'll show pics when i'm done)

it's true f you use them on regular Torx screws you do have to be careful because the torque can be too much for them and you will tare them apart. they usually last me for a few months anyways.
i think this is because they are usually not impact ready hardened metal like alot of bits are now. at least the ones i seem to get.
they also work in similar sized Allen screws as well but can shorten the lifespan and so i figure it's worth it to carry less bits and replace more often
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:24:26 PM by Walley »

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 02:35:02 PM
For knives, T6, T8 and T10, can't remember on which knife I used T10, but I bought mine for working on HP printers many moons ago....only one you need.

The above are all single tools, I have all the other sizes in bits........don't think I've ever used them  :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 05:37:48 PM
I think the handles/scales on the Charge require a security T-10.

I can't be sure, because I don't have a Security T-10 bit..... :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD