Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Key West and a classic.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Key West and a classic.
on: June 19, 2018, 11:01:56 PM
Soooo, we're all booked up for a week long vacation in Key West. It's been a few years since the last time we've been here and it's been one of our favorite vacation spots we manage to return to every few years. Usually, I'll mail a recruit to the place we always stay, but this time I mailed a classic. Since I've been on a classic kick the past few years, I figure to see if I can get by in the tropics with one. The last time I usually sued the small blade of the recruit, and the only time I used the main blade was slicing limes for the cold Gin and tonics in the evenings and trimming the end off a nice Dominican cigar from the cigar stand up Duval street. If I stick to Key limes, which are the size of golf balls, I should be able to get by. The fishing boat I go out on has some fillet knives and a few paring knives as bait knives so I'll be okay there. If I had to, I can slice a squid tentacle with a classic.

As usual I'll gift it off when I leave on the way to the airport the last afternoon. Last time the grounds keeper was very happy for the SAK, maybe tis time a classic will go to the shuttle driver.

We'll see how it turns out. I'm thinking of this as a kind of long-range forced challenge. Kind of a total immersion kind of thing with no backup I a pocket. Since we travel with just a carry on bag, knife in bag is not possible. This will happen the second week of July. We'll see how a 58 does on a tropical island.  :D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:03:30 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Key West and a classic.
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 01:54:53 PM
Extreme Survival  :D  by a Veteran  :like:

have a safe trip! And come back with good stories to tell and how you fought off a team Jungle Commandos with the 58mm's blade  :salute: :gimme:
Enjoy your experience Carl  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 03:25:26 PM
Have a good trip, Carl.

I've never been to Key West, but it's on my list.  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 04:42:32 PM
Enjoy your vacation, Carl.

:cheers: :tu:

Remember, :worthless:

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 05:07:40 PM
Extreme Survival  :D  by a Veteran  :like:

have a safe trip! And come back with good stories to tell and how you fought off a team Jungle Commandos with the 58mm's blade  :salute: :gimme:
Enjoy your experience Carl  :tu:

The only thing I'm going to be fighting is the little key limes for the gin and tonics, or maybe some vodka tonics. My son-law makes a great vodka tonic. It's a good vacation when some parts of it are a very hazy memory.   :cheers:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 05:23:20 PM
Have a good trip, Carl.

I've never been to Key West, but it's on my list.  :tu:

OMG!!!

Nix, you've NEVER been to Key West?????

Nix, look at me, I'm serious, you have to go. It's cool. It's fun. There's fishing for tarpon on light tackle, bonefish out on the flats, lots of heavy drinking at night up and down Duval street. There's the nightly street show up at Mallory Square with the street performers that come out at night. There's dinner at any number of great restaurants that have grilled grouper or other fresh fish of the day. Fresh like in it was swimming around a few hours before you ate it. There's the Mel Fisher museum with golden wonders from the sunken Spanish gold ships. Great hand rolled cigars and 2 dollar rum runners at happy hour. Happy hour in Key West is a VERY happy time, even if you can't recall some of it the next morning. :o

This s about the 5th time we've been, and we always stay with Mona at the Southernmost Point Guest house. Mona Santiago and her family own and run it and it's THE best place to stay in Key West. It's like staying in a family home, which it is. It's all the way down at the bottom of Duval Street so all you have to do to get 'home' is keep staggering south away from Mallory Square and you'll find 'home'.  :tu:

I love Key West sooo much, I'm going to die there. When some doctor gives me the bad news that there's nothing he can do for me and I've got a few months, I've going to go there and party till I drop, have my remains cremated and tossed in the ocean. A drink in one hand and a hand rolled Dominican in the other. Not a bad exit! :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:24:24 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 06:51:06 PM
The hand rolled Dominican alone is enough for me to go wheels up and head south!  Post pics and smoke one for me Carl!
Barry

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 08:32:55 PM
Enjoy your trip Carl.  I live driving distance to Key West.  I liked it better 30 years ago when it was less touristy.  Used to be more interesting things to see such as the Green Peace store which closed a long time ago but was the best place to get a "save the whales," or a peace sign bumper sticker for the back of the Hummer.  Now every other shop is a T shirt shop run by an Israeli or an ex pat Irishman and they all sell the exact same shirts. I still enjoy my visits, but they are fewer and farther in between.  Last time was in January of 2016 and I was doing the SOG PowerLock challenge.  I think you'll have a much easier time carrying the Classic.  Meanwhile, I hope this picture puts you in the right frame of mind.
P1100489.JPG
* P1100489.JPG (Filesize: 188.24 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 09:03:33 PM
 :dd: :dd:
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 12:28:33 AM
Carl, you had me at "fishing...."  :rofl:

No, really.   :D   :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 12:15:26 PM
my parents were there 35 years ago  ::) and they loved it, one of their favorite places in their US Trip,   :tu:
my mother still has a "backpack" (kid of a cylindrical bag) from Margaritaville Resort (her name is Margarita, so she brought it from there and wore it all the rest of their trip  :ahhh) ther in Key West
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 05:51:20 PM

Carl, you had me at "Sooo". Any post of yours is awlways a pleasure to read and a source of knowledge and insight.

Keep'em coming, bro!

:salute: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline getahl

Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 04:36:33 PM

Carl, you had me at "Sooo". Any post of yours is awlways a pleasure to read and a source of knowledge and insight.

Keep'em coming, bro!

Seconded. I always enjoy reading your posts and tales.

Key West. I'd love to go back. The extended family, that is my family, my wife's sister family, and in laws, spent just over a week there in 2013. It was the last truly enjoyable vacation we all had together. We spent most of the time at the beach, followed up by more time in the pool at our Air BnB. Truly magical and relaxing. Made it into KW proper on a couple of the days, but didn't get into any debauchery because we had a pair of two year olds in tow, and nobody besides me drinks.

Enjoy your trip, Carl. Color me green with jealousy.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 08:58:05 PM

Keep'em coming, bro!

Seconded. I always enjoy reading your posts and tales.

Key West. I'd love to go back. The extended family, that is my family, my wife's sister family, and in laws, spent just over a week there in 2013. It was the last truly enjoyable vacation we all had together. We spent most of the time at the beach, followed up by more time in the pool at our Air BnB. Truly magical and relaxing. Made it into KW proper on a couple of the days, but didn't get into any debauchery because we had a pair of two year olds in tow, and nobody besides me drinks.

Enjoy your trip, Carl. Color me green with jealousy.

Oh heck, the debauchery is half the fun!

Last time we were there, the granddaughter was along and she was about  6 or so. She's nine now, and a easy kid to have along. Our daughter and the better half will take her along with them while the son-in-law and I go drinking. Last time SIL John had an act of genius; he saw two local types looking like they were drying out and asked them were a good place to go have some drinks was. They told us about a bar up by the commercial docks where the fishing boat crews and locals go. The drinks were cold and cheap, and we didn't mind the  ambiance of the blue plastic tarp for the patio roof or the gravel floor. Two dollar rum runners with a good bite to them. It paid to get off away from all the tourist bars on Duval street. :tu:

Later, actually much later, when we caught up to the women folk, I don't think we were very sober. When Karen caught sight of us, she shot a video of John and me coming down the street singing "Show Me The Way To Go Home".

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 08:59:50 PM
 :drink:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 01:23:38 AM
 :tu: :tu:
Barry

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 01:22:57 PM
:drink:

+1

I awlways prefer some local joint that isn't a tourist trap. The food is better, the drinks are better, the ambiance is better and it usually costs half the price.

:hatsoff:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD