Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Advantages / Disadvantages of a hawkbill blade

eamo · 24 · 1372

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Advantages / Disadvantages of a hawkbill blade
on: June 20, 2018, 04:52:32 PM
As the title says, opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of a hawkbill blade in whatever use, situations you can think of.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: Advantages / Disadvantages of a hawkbill blade
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 07:29:41 PM
From my own experience, I would say hawkbill blades are made for draw cuts rather than push cuts.

Like when harvesting with a sickle, or cutting flowers with a pruning blade, or cutting rope with a serrated hawkbill.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 07:45:17 PM
From my own experience, I would say hawkbill blades are made for draw cuts rather than push cuts.

Like when harvesting with a sickle, or cutting flowers with a pruning blade, or cutting rope with a serrated hawkbill.hawkbill . just

Yes my question was partly inspired by a conversation you and I had a few months ago I've become intrigued by hawkbills but dunno if it's something I'd use enough to justify the outlay ☺

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 07:53:46 PM

Like when harvesting with a sickle, or cutting flowers with a pruning blade, or cutting rope with a serrated hawkbill.hawkbill . just

Yes my question was partly inspired by a conversation you and I had a few months ago I've become intrigued by hawkbills but dunno if it's something I'd use enough to justify the outlay ☺

It all depends on the intended use of the knife. You´re not going to do any food prep with a hawkbill.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 09:21:24 PM
If you were cutting rope or some type of lines I think a hawksbill would be nice.  I'd say breaking down materials or cutting materials like say fabrics, carpets, or similar textiles.  I not entirely sure but we have others who carry them so I'm sure they'll chime in soon enough. 
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 09:34:26 PM
thanks for the input guys - theres this thread as well, i did think about resurrecting it
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=26615.0

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 09:42:40 PM
Yeah kinda what I was imagining.  Since its power is on the draw I see it performing very well on material where power on the pull is important.  The blade making contact similar to a recurve in my mind. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 10:07:31 PM
Heavy materials is about all I carry one for. They're great for that. Miners mostly used the things for cutting open sacks of limestone dust, and cutting conveyor belt. Part of the reason my Granddad's is worn so much is that the belt was so thick, the knife would have to be sharpened three or four times while cutting through it.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 06:21:29 AM
In my humble opinion a hawkbill is nice for cutting heavy material such as linoleum or rubber sheeting.I have used on to score plexiglass when I couldn't find my regular acrylate cutter but it isn't an ideal knife for that as the blade is tough to control. I even tried using it to cut some heavy paper patterns for signs but reverted to using a well sharpened pen blade for doing curves and the like. Much easier to control.
Sharpening one can be a bit tricky to do. I use a Smith's tapered round diamond stone rather than a flat stone which usually just takes the point away.I also use that stone for re-dressing serrations on knives.
All in all I think it is more of a specialty knife than an all around everyday use knife.
SmithsSerrated Sharpener 003.jpg
* SmithsSerrated Sharpener 003.jpg (Filesize: 48.51 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 03:22:41 PM
well I have been a fan and user of these for a while and I have to disagree with some of the points made here, respectfully of course, and base on my personal experience and opinions  :D

I but it isn't an ideal knife for that as the blade is tough to control. I even tried using it to cut some heavy paper patterns for signs but reverted to using a well sharpened pen blade for doing curves and the like. Much easier to control.

I find it extremely easy to control in most sizes, and the only really dangerous and deceiving part of it is the point, which is at an angle and position that most knife users are not used to  :o and can be tricky on your first experiences with hawks  :ahhh.

If it's a folder, the tip is the part that will most likely bite you  :P or fold on you inadvertently  :rant: as it's hard to figure its position if all you use are common blade shapes but it's a matter of using them and becoming familiar  :tu:

in fact I prefer it to cut water bottles, plastic containers, cans etc, because I sink the tip and pierce and the curve just makes it penetrate and cut at the same time

It all depends on the intended use of the knife. You´re not going to do any food prep with a hawkbill.

while I agree that is perfect for gardening, pruning, vine cutting, root slicing, etc. because of its grabbiness and curve, I also use them for food cutting on occasion, just not on top of a cutting board.
I like that the curve of the blade matches the curve of most vegetables  ::)  (tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, onion, etc.) so I hold the fruit/vegetable in the hand and the blade naturally bites and "embraces" it, following the curve as it cuts just feels natural and easy  :gimme:

Show content

Same applies to hard boiled eggs (put a finger on top and slice the hawk through its middle line), some types of bread (rounded in shape, similar to a cylinder in profile), like Baguettes,

Show content

cutting carpet, cardboard, plastics, porexpan, foam, etc, you stab with the tip and once it's in you pull, the shape will ensure that it doesn't slip and the material is always being driven into the cutting edge

Show content

and of course netting, web, rope, twine, paracord or other fibers and filaments (that includes organic fibers, plants, grasses, thorns) you just put it somewhere in the edge, preferably the base if it's a tough one,  :D and move your arm, or wrist, letting the curve make all the work and cut.  :mn:
Of course if it's serrated the "grabbing" effect will be even greater and the bigger the curve the more cutting surface for larger ropes and filament that you have. :2tu:

Show content

In smaller sizes they aren't bad for carboars, opening boxes, cutting tape and envelopes etc. or using it on cables, zip-ties, wires and so on. The curve also makes it good for wire stripping, notching and wood whittling to make feather sticks (no carving)  :like:

Show content

and lastly even though it's an uncommon use and most of us would rather not test the blade that way, it would make a terrific blade to use against flesh, meat, or any other living tissue  :dwts:

the drawbacks are wide blade (especially noticeable when folded in the pocket), harder to sharpen (you'll need rods, crocs sticks or tapered sharpeners), the tip will probably get worn out and chipped firstly and more quickly than the rest of the blade  :-\  and you have to be wary of that tip not to poke yourself or other objects, like opening packages and boxes with fragile stuff below  :oops:

also forget about whittling and carving, woodwork, cutting board food prep, skinning and shaving with it  :whistle:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 06:38:22 PM

[/quote]

the drawbacks are wide blade (especially noticeable when folded in the pocket), harder to sharpen (you'll need rods, crocs sticks or tapered sharpeners), the tip will probably get worn out and chipped firstly and more quickly than the rest of the blade  :-\  and you have to be wary of that tip not to poke yourself or other objects, like opening packages and boxes with fragile stuff below  :oops:

[/quote]

That's the thing with collecting them. I use Sackups, which are made for "Standard" folding knives, which means you've got to dig around for that Classic or watch fob/pen knife you stuck in there, and hawkbills are way too wide to fit. My collection of hawkbills is in a cigar box for this reason.  Many of my hawkbills that were used a lot, then given to me is that the tips are blunt. I blame the skinning of 6000V cable.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 08:34:33 PM
Allow me to chime in, big time Hawkbill fan here.  :waving:

First I like to say while hawkbill blades are very useful, it is not going to replace a sword on battlefield or a chef's knife in kitchen; but when speaking of pocket knife, hawkbill blades pack a lot of cutting power into a small package.

The curved blade edge actually has more edge in it than straight counterpart in the same dimension, even more if it is serrated.

In utility role, I found it very good at cutting cardboard boxes, rope, wire etc.  When using a straight blade for these tasks, I found the edge constantly slipping off the object I tried to cut, unless the edge is sharp enough to bite in the object at initial contact. Hawkbill grabs the object, so that continually forced into the curved edge of ever-changing cutting angle. The sharp tip is also great at starting the cut by piercing the object. Some might say hawkbills are not good at detail tasks, I guess that is result of most people have way more practice with using a straight blade than a curved one.  So to sum up, hawkbill blades can do a lot and do them fast and well, as long as the task doesn't involving cutting on a flat surface like a cutting board.

In defense role, Hawkbills shine too. Given the physical limitation of most pocket knives, (sub 4" blade length), hawkbill blades do way more damage per hit than any other blade shapes at the same length, for average untrained people, they may not able to land many hits in a violent encounter, so damage per hit matters a lot. When using a straight blade, thrust and slash are two separate motion, while a thrust can penetrate tough material and cause deep wound, but it is harder and slower to perform accurately, a slash covers much greater area, but the damage is questionable due to the physical limitation of the pocket knife's blade (too light,  too short). Hawkbill solves the problem, each swing of the blade combines the two basic motions into one, when it make contact, the tip penetrates the target then a follow up pull cut just rips the target, leaving a deep and long devastating wound. There are sturdies that suggest stabbing packs killing power but not stopping power; stopping power comes from disabling the target's muscle and tendons, I am not going into detail at this time other than reminding you "stopping" is the goal in a defense encounter, not "killing".

In practice, I carry two blades; one hawkbill and one straight blade. I am very happy with such setup.
For those still on the fence about Hawkbills, I guess the only way to find out is to try one yourself, I would wholeheartedly suggest a Bryd Hawkbill, it is affable and cuts like a demon. Let me know how it works out. :tu:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:45:23 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 09:47:34 PM
Just catching this thread after being on the fence in the spyderco thread about getting one or not :o

I will give this a better read later and really think about it :tu:

:popcorn:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 10:01:01 PM
yes as Kampf said the Byrd one (two different models available) is a great, affordable one to try out this style, with the usual quality and clever design you'd expect form Spyderco at an entry level price point

regarding Hawkbill uses, from food prep to cardboard disposal to self preservation, I like to sum it up in a quote from an old Spyderco member at their forums:

"Sink the tip,
and let it rip!"   :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:46:57 PM
Damn right! Sink the tip, and let it rip!
Amen.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 09:06:17 PM
The only Hawkbill I have now is 1 blade of a very old, Colonial brand, 3 bladed electrician's knife.  However, it is exceptionally sharp, and I have found it quite satisfactory for use at my side job of performing circumcisions at a kiosk in the mall.  It's on the second floor near the food court.  I'm there on Tuesdays and Fridays from 11 to 3.
Colonial electrician.JPG
* Colonial electrician.JPG (Filesize: 143.97 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 01:48:28 AM
The only Hawkbill I have now is 1 blade of a very old, Colonial brand, 3 bladed electrician's knife.  However, it is exceptionally sharp, and I have found it quite satisfactory for use at my side job of performing circumcisions at a kiosk in the mall.  It's on the second floor near the food court.  I'm there on Tuesdays and Fridays from 11 to 3.
That made me do a double take.  :ahhh :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 04:35:49 PM

I dunno what to say to this  . . . . . . .

otherwise, thanks for the info guys,

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 11:20:18 PM
Probably doesn't pay much but I bet you get a lot of "tips". :rofl:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 09:15:53 AM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 07:43:15 AM
Probably doesn't pay much but I bet you get a lot of "tips". :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 03:04:05 AM
Everything Kampfer said, +1.

Many years ago, while working retail, I carried a cheapie folding karambit. That thing beat the official box cutters hollow for ripping down cardboard (even the four ply stuff), cheap poly "rope", shrink wrap, and the like. The only thing that was better for opening a zip tied closed tote was a pair of dykes. I particularly liked that I could control the depth of the cut VERY precisely by putting my thumb on the flat of the blade as a depth gauge with the tip. I also used it some on boats. I'm not sure of the actual evolution of the kerambit, but the ring made it impossible to drop while there no way I could stab my other hand with the point if there was a swell. I'm sure if I couldn't get my leg and my hand to not try to occupy the same chunk of space I could have gotten cut, but that is the only way. Cleaned some fish, and small game with it, using the zip-and-scoop technique, again with my thumb for a depth gauge.

In the end, it went into retirement when I went back to college and then it went MIA. Dryer gnomes is my guess. I'm sure it's somewhere, and I hope its serving well there.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 11:13:55 PM
Picked this up last week and have been EDCing it since.  It is small and unobtrusive for a fixed blade knife but with a lot of cutting ability. Not so much for slicing, but for a slash or pull stroke. In the last week it has been especially useful in the garden for opening bags of mulch and for cutting twine.  Best of all it was only $10.00 so it's more or less disposable.
MTO Rotation Challenge 8.JPG
* MTO Rotation Challenge 8.JPG (Filesize: 109.66 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 04:38:02 PM
Picked this up last week and have been EDCing it since.  It is small and unobtrusive for a fixed blade knife but with a lot of cutting ability. Not so much for slicing, but for a slash or pull stroke. In the last week it has been especially useful in the garden for opening bags of mulch and for cutting twine.  Best of all it was only $10.00 so it's more or less disposable.

:like:
it also looks like the grip gives a lot of comfort, purchase and security for pull cuts and aggressive cutting claw-like motions  :tu:
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%