Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Of Jeep and tick tick tick.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Of Jeep and tick tick tick.
on: June 21, 2018, 02:59:48 AM
I love my Jeep Patriot. I haven't spent much money on it and it has been an overall great vehicle. A few months ago, I noticed a slight shimmy when going down the road. The slight vibration would be eliminated when travelling at highway speeds. I worried a little but didn't think much of it. As with all things mechanical, if you neglect the issue, all you are doing is putting off the inevitable. For the past 4 days, the Jeep has been complaining to me. I developed a rear passenger wheel ticking sound. Over the past few days, It has gotten louder and louder. So much so that the Girlfriend told me that she would  hear me coming 4 blocks away. It was high time to bring it in and check it out as I was worried about the gradually louder ticking sound. I was hopeful and checked my tires for rocks, or anything that might cause it...but deep down inside, I knew it was going to be more serious then that.

I brought it over to the mechanics tonight and they found the source of my worries...my rear brakes. Brakes? I was mostly certain it was a wheel hub or something more serious in nature. I guess brakes are as serious as it gets. I was puzzled because I had great brakes still. No screeching or anything.  I gave them the ok to do the work to the tune of 631 Canadian. For that, they replaced both my rear brake rotors, pads, etc. Happily, the work was done, and no more tick tick ticking sounds. That is the first time I had to replace brakes since I bought the vehicle back in 2013. I can recall my dad having to replace and repair drum brakes on the old vehicles all the time. I guess that is progress.  :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:06:07 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Of Jeep and tick tick tick.
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:31:23 PM
I don't know what Jeep is doing right with brakes, but I recently replaced my rear brakes for the first time, and it was after 150,000kms and five years of driving it in all weather conditions and terrains.  You would think mine would wear out faster with all of the salt, sand, mud etc they have been exposed to, and the heavy mileage I tend to do, but there you have it.

Say what you will about Jeeps, they at least do brakes remarkably well!  Coincidentally I also replaced my ball joints for the first time at around 150,000kms as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Of Jeep and tick tick tick.
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:40:44 AM
I assume they last so well because Jeeps never get fast enough to really need a great deal of braking.....

edit: I shouldn't really jest, but I'm not sure there is anything special about Jeep brakes.

Brakes, Oils, Tyres, Batteries, all your bearings, bushes and such - most of the "wear" parts of your vehicle now are orders of magnitude better than they were when your dad told you about cars.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:46:17 AM by Sea Monster »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD