Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scandinavian Knives

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Scandinavian Knives
Reply #90 on: March 02, 2018, 09:46:57 AM
Strømeng has sourced a lot of their blades from Brusletto over the years. AFAIK they fell out over a case of an order of knives to the army. (I won't go into details since that would be pure rumor-mongering.) Traditionally, blades up north should be forged using Swedish car springs. :)

So tough blades, given their geometry, but neither hard nor very good at holding an edge. (And if old car springs have been used: A real risk of material fatigue weaknesses.)

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #91 on: March 02, 2018, 02:37:50 PM
this pinky behind the knife thing has me stumped a bit. can someone take a picture of what you actually meant because I have less control, feel a lot less safe and the small grip of my mora #1 feels even more cramped so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: March 02, 2018, 04:56:16 PM
Traditionally, blades up north should be forged using Swedish car springs. :)

Indeed :) I guess there is a limit for how far back that tradition could go, but it seemed to have ended in the 80s or 90s or thereabouts. Everything after seems more polished and shiny. (Not that I've been paying much attention for the last something years). But as everyone knows, everything was better before - by now those blades were amazing great at everything :)

So tough blades, given their geometry, but neither hard nor very good at holding an edge. (And if old car springs have been used: A real risk of material fatigue weaknesses.)

A big part of their use is tough chopping so that priority makes sense? I've never encountered it myself,  but some blades did break - especially the longer ones. (Makes chopping all that more interesting and exciting..?)

this pinky behind the knife thing has me stumped a bit. can someone take a picture of what you actually meant because I have less control, feel a lot less safe and the small grip of my mora #1 feels even more cramped so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong

You do get a less firm grip, but that makes it easier to chop and less chance of sliding? Well, at least with the Sami knives. I can't visualize how or if that works with a Mora #1 - I simply avoid that one.

Edit: I think I have succeded in removing all Mora #1 around here, but if I do find one still lingering I can try and take a picture.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:00:30 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

hr Offline styx

Reply #93 on: March 02, 2018, 06:05:25 PM
wait, if it is for chopping then it might not work for other tasks as well

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #94 on: March 02, 2018, 06:32:50 PM
Vidar, this one is for you.

It's called the "Vidarr" as is purportedly inspired by Scandinavian designs. I don't know about that, but it does seem to have a touch of the medieval in it (as I look at it). Perhaps a bit of a Scandi Seax. Regardless, it's a beast of a knife.

I like it quite well, but....the handle is a bit narrow for me. With a saber grip, thumb up on the brass bolster, my pinky naturally falls on the back of the pommel. The angled pommel actually makes this fairly comfortable.

I took the shot outside in the snow on some pine boards to make it seem a bit more Scandinavian. Right?

se Offline RF52

Reply #95 on: March 02, 2018, 07:12:01 PM

It's called the "Vidarr" as is purportedly inspired by Scandinavian designs. I don't know about that, but it does seem to have a touch of the medieval in it (as I look at it). Perhaps a bit of a Scandi Seax. Regardless, it's a beast of a knife.

(Image removed from quote.)

I like it quite well, but....the handle is a bit narrow for me. With a saber grip, thumb up on the brass bolster, my pinky naturally falls on the back of the pommel. The angled pommel actually makes this fairly comfortable.

I took the shot outside in the snow on some pine boards to make it seem a bit more Scandinavian. Right?
Good looking knife

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #96 on: March 02, 2018, 07:20:37 PM
Thanks, RF52.

Does it seem "Scandinavian" to you?  :think:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #97 on: March 02, 2018, 07:41:44 PM
Those look Finnish though, any word who made them?

:cheers:

The small one might indeed be Finnish - the style looks a bit apart from the usual ones here. Those are Sami knives of course so I imagine very similar ones exist in Norway, Finland, Sweden and Russia alike.

The larger most likely an old Strømeng (Karasjok). No particular style clue, just a reasoned guess as most knives around here were bought from him back in the day. His knives had (and has) a good reputation for not chipping or breaking.

(I'm not sure if this is true, but a story goes that some tourist stopped by his workshop once. The tourist commented that the knives were expensive and wondered why. The smith asked if he had a knife already, and if he could take a look at it? The tourist said sure, and showed off some knife. The smith took it, laid it down edge up, and then chopped it in two with a Sami knife. "That is why it is expensive"... And "I see you need a new knife?" :D )

The pinky trick is handy for chopping - people with big hands might even put two fingers behind. I avoid thrusting with these knives personally, but as they are used to put down reindeer at times that certainly works too. For opening cans the initial hole is better done two handed - one to guide the knife down, and the other just slapping down on the broad handle end. (If you can't open a can without damage it is a bad Sami knife..)

(And now you know better than to hand over any precious knives to smiths looking to sell!  :ahhh )

I think it's saami "Kaarasjohka", so Norwegian-Finnish-Saami... Great knives in any case
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: March 02, 2018, 08:16:41 PM

Stylish knife indeed - and with such a great name too!  :D I guess all knives has a bit of old norse to them just via the word "knife" itself.

(Brought to English along with other essential words like gang, want, take, get, ransack, anger, berserk, club, sledge, knife, thrust, skin, scathe, die, scare, they, them. There might be a slight pattern to which Viking terms made it into English..  ::) )

Yes, that photo could easily have been taken some 20 meters from where I'm sitting.  :cheers:

Styx, it seems I've managed to remove all Mora #1 from the usual places at least so I can't try or take a picture. But if I were to thrust with one of those I certainly would want something behind.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

hr Offline styx

Reply #99 on: March 02, 2018, 09:14:02 PM
or I could simply take a pic of a few interpretations and see what would be the correct one

btw Nix, how large are your hands? since I have issues with big hands and small handles as well we should unite

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #100 on: March 02, 2018, 09:39:39 PM
Nix, how large are your hands? since I have issues with big hands and small handles as well we should unite

:viking:

Large hands unite! 

I'm an XL to XXL in American sizes. My Held motorcycle gloves feel pretty good at size 11.

If you like a bigger handle (as I do), definitely check out Scott Gossman's knives. The man put a serious handle on a knife.  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #101 on: March 02, 2018, 09:44:46 PM

Lovely knife Nix !   :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #102 on: March 02, 2018, 09:48:28 PM
Thanks!  :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #103 on: March 03, 2018, 10:02:06 AM
Nix, how large are your hands? since I have issues with big hands and small handles as well we should unite

:viking:

Large hands unite! 

I'm an XL to XXL in American sizes. My Held motorcycle gloves feel pretty good at size 11.

If you like a bigger handle (as I do), definitely check out Scott Gossman's knives. The man put a serious handle on a knife.  :tu:

I've been a fan of his work since I saw the Polaris. Plus how can you not like a guy with ZZ Top style beard that explains his knifemaking philosophy by explaining his woods bumming and hunting experiences? Sadly his stuff if a bit out of my price range for now

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #104 on: March 03, 2018, 10:10:19 AM

That's not a seax... Now This is a seax! (ok, a scramasax, but who's counting, right?)

:D

Oh btw, the Skrama is godsend for huge hands like mine  :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:11:26 AM by AlephZero »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

hr Offline styx

Reply #105 on: March 03, 2018, 10:56:02 AM
To be fair Aleph, you're one of the few people on the planet who could put Fat Gripz Extreme on a sledgehammer and still have the grip be too thin while using it as a picture framing hammer

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #106 on: March 03, 2018, 07:06:11 PM
:rofl:

You mean I'm the only guy to use the Dead-On Annihilator to put up picture frames?

:pok:

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

hr Offline styx

Reply #107 on: March 03, 2018, 08:18:30 PM
yup

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #108 on: March 03, 2018, 09:45:30 PM
"Hoarder of weirdness,

Offline aikon2014

Reply #109 on: March 07, 2018, 01:32:13 PM
I have always had EKA Swedes as well as Moras my whole life. Today I just got my new EKA Swede 8, I have had two before this and worn them out after years and years of sharpening and using them heavily out on my fishing trips.

I am a huge fan of EKA, they are an Eskilstuna company and I used to live in that town when I studied at university  :)

se Offline RF52

Reply #110 on: March 07, 2018, 02:01:29 PM
I have always had EKA Swedes as well as Moras my whole life. Today I just got my new EKA Swede 8, I have had two before this and worn them out after years and years of sharpening and using them heavily out on my fishing trips.

I am a huge fan of EKA, they are an Eskilstuna company and I used to live in that town when I studied at university  :)

Nice!

se Offline RF52

Reply #111 on: June 27, 2018, 06:53:23 PM
My newest scandi(s) Wanted the double sheated knives ever since I first saw one So far it has done a good job at chopping branches, dry and fresh. It also slides right through the various kinds of spekepølse I have The fit of the sheath is very good and no chance of them jumping out Unknown knifemaker though, forgot to ask

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #112 on: June 27, 2018, 07:06:51 PM
Sweet!
Nate

SEND IT!

se Offline RF52

Reply #113 on: June 27, 2018, 07:19:18 PM
Thanks!

hr Offline styx

Reply #114 on: June 27, 2018, 10:12:23 PM
I second the sweet comment

se Offline RF52

Reply #115 on: June 27, 2018, 10:14:18 PM
:like:

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: June 28, 2018, 04:21:35 AM
 :like:
nice combo 52
Andrew

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #117 on: June 28, 2018, 05:57:27 AM

Nice RF  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

se Offline RF52

Reply #118 on: June 28, 2018, 10:16:29 AM
Thanks guys

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #119 on: June 28, 2018, 12:53:07 PM
Oooh, that's a bit lovely. :drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%