Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock 30-day challenge

Nix · 321 · 13264

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Powerlock 30-day challenge
on: June 23, 2018, 12:09:18 AM
Day 00:

I just got a Powerlock today. Since I recently bailed out of another challenge, I thought I'd pick myself up, knock the dust off, and try again. This challenge is open to anyone who wants to join in, but, and sorry for the short notice, it starts tomorrow. Still, if you have a SOG "Power" multitool, join in.

Here are my tools for the challenge:

This Powerlock has a 1/4" drive, so I thought I'd test it out with a 1/4", 6-pt socket and a small selection of bits. The bits may change over the course of the challenge, depending on what I'm doing. But the Powerlock and Vic Classic will remain my constant tools for the next 30-days.

Why the Vic Classic?  Because #SAKMC.  :SAKnight:  And there may be times when I can't easily carry a full-sized mulittool and will therefore have at least a Classic in my pocket.

Rules:

1. Post a pic of the SOG multitool everyday for 30 days.
2. Attempt to use each tool in the SOG multitool at least once.
3. Only resort to using other tools, e.g. Vic Classic, is the SOG tool is unavailable or unsuitable for the task at hand. Provide a reason if the SOG tool is not used for a task, e.g. "The SOG doesn't have tweezers...."
4. Pictures may be posted retrospectively, but must be taken every day of the challenge. E.g., a snap from the 14th day may be posted on the 18th day, but that picture had to be taken on the 14th day. 
5. Participants must have fun. If a participant is not having fun, he or she must disqualify themselves.

OK, fairly simple rule set, and a straight forward challenge.  Please join in this SOG challenge if you are the least bit inclined. Feel free to start a little late. I have to start now because....#manychallengeslittletime. 

:tu:  :multi:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Powerlock 30-day challenge
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 05:19:28 AM
#Posting so I can follow.

How about that plier head on the PowerLock?  :drool:

It is awesome how fast SOG acted on the PAD disappointment! The PowerLock is a fantastic tool, and one a lot of people swear by, in the MT community.
What toolset does your PL have? I think there are four toolset variations on the new PL, but am not sure. :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 05:40:02 AM
Hey, G-man, I'm a newbie to the SOG MT world....although I've now had a Paratool for 20+ years!

Tomorrow I'll put up a post on this particular Powerlock and it's toolset.  Only 30 days to go, but I have a feeling I still have plenty to learn!  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:20:25 AM
Fair enough, Nix. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 12:35:51 PM
Good luck Nix and I hope you like your new
Powerlock when you have done the challenge  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 04:59:35 PM
Day 01:

I'll cover the tool set I've got on this Powerlock first thing today:

Pliers with wire cutters. Nice needle nose design with fine tips. Tips meet precisely. Obviously this model has SOG's compound leverage.
Crimper integrated into the plier head on the handle side of the pivot points. I don't typically use a crimper, but, you never know.....

Handle 1 tools:
Half-serrated knife blade: Blade seems a bit thin, but is sharp. I'd prefer a plain edge blade, but I think this is fine for a multitool.
Scissors: The design of these scissors is a bit bulky, but they might still be useful....except there is significant laxity in the pivot point. This may be another case of interesting design, porr execution.
Cap-lifter with medium flat driver (5mm): Looks well made and like it will do well.
1/4" Driver: This is one of the more interesting and, for me, exciting options in the Powerlock. It is a bit odd that there is a half-stop (90º) on this 'blade'. When the driver is deployed at the 90º angle, the handle cover cannot be closed and, since it opens inward, the handles can't be closed. This isn't a problem per se, but it does highlight one small disadvantage of inward opening tools.

Handle 2 tools:
Saw: Again, the saw is a wee bit shorter than it really needs to be. It's cutting length is about the same as a Vic Farmer's saw.
File: The file seems pretty good, but you guys know I'll be testing this!
Can opener with small flat driver: This seems fairly well designed and made. I expect it to work well.
Reamer/awl: more of a spike. It'll be interesting to see how this performs.
Philips driver: nice length, crisp edges, long shank. Looks like it will be a performer.
Flat driver: about 7mm, gives another nice option. Looks to be strong enough for light prying.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 05:07:13 PM
Day 01 (continued):

Photo of cover interfering with 1/4" driver at half-stop:

Might be possible to use the 1/4" driver in some limited ways at the half stop leaving everything open:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 05:10:35 PM
 :popcorn:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 05:12:27 PM
Day 01 (continued):

Task one: open a bag of dog food for the household fiend. The bag in question is made of plastic and is easily cut with our Fiskars kitchen scissors. Could the Powerlock's scissors handle this task?

Fortunately the Powerlock comes equipped with a sharp knife.....

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 05:16:20 PM
That is a shame the scissors failed  :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 05:31:02 PM
Yes.

I had hoped........ :-[

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 05:42:16 PM
Day 01 (continued):

As W noted, it was a bit disappointing that the scissors didn't work out. More than a little disappointing, I really wanted some functional scissors. So, a bit more testing.......

I tried cutting string.....no luck. The looseness of the pivot point just allows the string to fold over.

So, more testing with 15# and 30# mono filament fishing line. The 15# test line folded over. The 30# was a bit stiffer and the scissors mostly mangled the line without cutting, but after about 10 attempts and a some really quick action on the scissors, I cut the line once.  :facepalm:

Paper had equally dismal results. I could not cut newspaper or an envelope. Some card stock could be clipped, but I could not cut out a small square from the corner. Once the card stock became weakened from earlier cuts, the material just folded and wouldn't be cut.

So, the scissors, one of the big draws of this model, are miserable and functionally useless.

I may try to peen the pivot point and see if I can tighten them up.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 05:45:41 PM
That’s what I would do peen the pivot
Make sure to test after each peen  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 05:50:09 PM
Day 01 (continued):

I find manipulating the tool covers on the handles a bit awkward. I think I'll get used to this feature, but it does slow me down. And the tool sets clump when any one blade is opened. Managing the clumped tools with the cover open, but still sort of in the way seems cumbersome.

I'm not sure how this happened, but I was trying to open the 1/4" and got a big clump of tools out. In trying to sweep the 1/4" fully open, I ended up nicking my finger of the serrated blade.

Goods news: the serrated blade is sharp.

More good news: I didn't cut myself badly.

Bad news: Mrs Nix became cross with me for getting blood everywhere. Small nick, but it sure did bleed!

Photo (wee bit graphic for blood and not terribly interesting, but still, it's a challenge and these things need to be documented):

Show content

I'll have to be more aware in the future!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 05:52:17 PM
That’s what I would do peen the pivot
Make sure to test after each peen  :tu:

Now....what to use to peen the pivot?  :think:

Dull nail?  Metal punch? 

I think my peening hammer would be too cumbersome. But....it couldn't hurt..... :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 06:21:31 PM
Day 01 (continued):

Now....what to use to peen the pivot?  :think:

Dull nail?  Metal punch? 

I think my peening hammer would be too cumbersome. But....it couldn't hurt..... :facepalm:

In answer of my own question, I used both a peening hammer and a metal punch to peen the pivot. This seemed to help...a lot. It might need a bit more peening, but I'll test it a bit as it is now.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 06:27:28 PM
Nice one Nix  :cheers: :like: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 11:16:46 PM
Nice thoughts so far, Nix! The PowerLock is a quirky thing, but you may end up liking it once you have learned the ins & outs of it. It is a 20yo design that hasn't changed much. :ahhh
Interesting that the one they sent you has scissors. Or by chance, none of my PLs have scissors. Mine mostly have the V-Cutter or two separate blades(one pe and one se on the older models). My PowerGrab has the same scissors and they only work well if you are right handed(naturally pushing the handle where the blades meet). I thought about peening them, but the Grab is a collection piece, so it would be pointless. But, seeing as you'll be using the PL a lot, peening may be the easiest option.  :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 11:23:24 PM
For sure, G-man. I'm a user, so peening seemed like the right move. I may peen the pivot a bit more, but so far, my initial job seems to have been effective.

But, hey, this is only Day 1 of the challenge for me!  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 12:02:13 AM
Day 01 (yes, this is still Day 1):

Mrs Nix got a new washer and dryer today. A number of tasks needed to be accomplished along the way.

First, I removed a vinyl stop that prevented the glass doors from opening fully (sorry for the poor focus), Philips driver worked well.  :tu:

Then, the dryer vent needed to be removed.

I used the 1/4" drive with a bit extender to reach back and loosen the hose clamp:

Tried to use the pliers to loosen the hot & cold water supplies for the washer, but the space was just too confined. In the end I used some slip joint pliers to loosen the hoses up. This is no hit on the Powerlock, just a realistic limitation due to a large 'nut' in a confined space.  :tu:

Yes, that is the raggedy band-aid from the earlier cut seen in the top of the frame.  Time to replace that band-aid........
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:03:20 AM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 07:19:12 PM
Day 02:

Used the scissors to snip some mint for a cucumber salad for lunch.

The recent peening seems to have the scissors running better.  :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 07:45:52 PM
Nice one Nix glad they work better  :cheers: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 09:33:33 PM
Thanks, W.

So far, so good.......  :)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 12:27:44 AM
Day 02 (continued):

Tied a few flies this afternoon. Scissors seemed to work just fine here and I'm encouraged to try them on the river.   :tu:

And the cap-lifter seems to be in full-working order:

I haven't give it the full "Dutch Tooler Test", but the challenge is still young...........

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 01:25:52 AM
Day 02 (continued):

Two days, two blood lettings.

This time I was trying to use the Powerlock's wirecutter to snip a thick zip-tie that was in an awkward and confined spot. I struggled to get the jaws around the zip-tie, using my off hand to get the material in position. When I had my chance, I gave the Powerlock a good squeeze. Sure enough, the wire cutters snipped the zip-tie, but the jaws slammed shut and the ring finger of mind off hand got snapped by the sharp, precise tips of the pliers.

Wire cutters did well, and I should have been more careful with my hand position. (In my defense, this was in a tricky spot with limited ability to maneuver.)  Maybe this qualifies for a Mr Pinchy badge?   :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 03:30:09 AM
Ouch Nix! Looks like the PL has a vendetta against you.  :pok:

Seriously. It looks as if he PL is working out quite well, as far as working as-advertised, so far.

No Pinchy badge though.  :D That particular badge is one you really don't want. A Gerber multi-plier linear palm bleed is one of the worst MT injuries. :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 04:09:57 AM
 :rofl:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 01:20:31 PM
Doing well Nix  :like: :like: :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 03:16:36 PM
Ouch Nix! Looks like the PL has a vendetta against you.  :pok:

the PADs from Powernoodle and Nix met the Powerlock at the SOG Headquarters  :o and explained the horror stories, bad looks and impolite comments about them made by their previous owners  :ahhh, so the SOG family  :viking: had to play it's counterattack to such actions sending their bigger, meaner brother :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 04:11:07 PM
The SOG scissors are not awesome..  I have pretty much concluded that the only scissors I will ever use on an MT or SAK are those made by Victorinox.   So every day I have with me at least the teeny scissors on a Manager or the larger ones on the Explorer, or both - irrespective of what MT I might be carrying.  In my experience, no other maker comes close to Victorinox scissors.

Its pretty lame, honestly, that the scissors on a new PowerLock would not cut anything.  What's going on at SOG?  Really - how can they keep shipping things that don't work?

I do otherwise appreciate the PowerLock - minus the scissors - though the tool covers or "wings" are not a very elegant design.  As I said in the PowerAccess Deluxe Challenge, the SOG's compound leverage pliers are the "best" in the business, albeit with no replaceable cutters.  The PowerLock's blades and drivers perform admirably and pretty much on par with the other top brands.  I do like how smoothly the PowerLock opens, and I like the polished finish.

So overall, I like the PowerLock and PowerAssist except for the scissors, and they are MTs that a "working man" could rely on every day.  I do, though, still consider SOG to be a "second tier" maker, which has a lot of improvement to undergo before competing with Victorinox and Leatherman.  At $49 shipped on Amazon Prime, the PowerLock is budget priced and you get a solid MT for the money.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%