Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock 30-day challenge

Nix · 321 · 13543

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Powerlock 30-day challenge
Reply #120 on: July 06, 2018, 07:35:53 AM

On the other side of that coin (metaphorically, regarding us on MT.o, testing the designs and giving input back to the MT makers), we could also conclude, that we may never reach any kind of consensus on what is best. For example: there is significant amount of members here who claim the Vic Spirit is "MT perfection", but there is also a significant portion of us who believe otherwise. The old saying that "all MTs, in essence, are a compromise" seems to be a fact.

The best case scenario leaves us with a tool, that maybe, half of us would like. :rofl:

I am just brain farting here. :ahhh
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:37:29 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #121 on: July 06, 2018, 01:49:51 PM
Nix,

Thought you might like to see how little SOG has changed the PowerLock since 1998. Aside from the pliers and gear covers,
The older PL is a pre-pat #(likely 1998) and the newer one is a 2018 model with v-cutter, instead of scissors.

hey GLBM you beat me at it again, as I was just going to comment on Nix's post from DAY 13:

"Day 13:
Carried the Powerlock in the back pocket of my jeans. Actually worked fairly well, no issues, and I may try carrying it this way a bit more. A pocket caddy might be a good idea as well. "

and I was going to tell him "you're lucky that you got a new PL with gear cover,a s if you tried to pocket carry one of the older models you'd realise how awkward and painful a multitool can be  :D
I can talk from experience as my first PL didn't have those covers and that shredded all the pouches  :rant:, sheaths and textiles where it was carried,  :oops: it hung up and got stuck and it ripped and tore them  ::), I can't imagine what it'd do in a pants pocket moving around and so  :ahhh :o

SOG should advertise "We include mediocre scissors, but Leatherman scissors fit better". :D

"...and they also cut better too"  :whistle:

El Peacent has called the Powerlock a 'beast'. Well......all things are relative...right?

(Image removed from quote.)

that Trailmaster is a very nice piece  :like: :like: and that wrapping will prevent the Kraton from wearing out too soon and peeling away, a common issue with Cold Steel's rubbery handles.  :P Is your knife in Carbon V?  :think: :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #122 on: July 06, 2018, 02:34:21 PM
Yup, that one is in Carbon V.  :tu:  :whistle:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #123 on: July 06, 2018, 07:31:19 PM
Day 14:

Decided to test the file today......

First got out my old beater axe.

And found that both the single cut and double cut sides of the file just skated off the hard cutting edge. This is a fail.

I tested the two sides and the skinnier 'saw' side on the heel of the axe (softer) and found they would bite in to some degree. So, I think this is more an issue of poor hardening than anything else. However, I'm not too impressed by the way the file's lands and grooves were cut.

So then the question became: "what else will it work on?"

I had a recently sharpened lawn mower blade that still had a fine burr on the edge. The single cut side was able to take this burr off. So that is kinda handy.

The double cut side did a decent--if limited--job of rasping off the sharp corner of a scrap piece of hard Maple. That was nice, too.

The 'saw' edge was able to cut a notch into the same block of Maple. And with a bit of effort, it started cutting a notch in a 20d nail. The double cut side was able to scratch up the nail as well, so it might be able to sharpen some softer metals. Which is something, I suppose.

Overall, the file is lame and not terribly useful, but I could envision it being pressed into service in some odd situations.

Clearly further testing is indicated......

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #124 on: July 06, 2018, 07:39:21 PM
So scissors and the file are still no good then  :facepalm:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #125 on: July 06, 2018, 10:23:05 PM

Uhhhhh......seen from a certain angle.......uhhhhh......yeah.   :facepalm:

And the Powerlock doesn't have all the features of the PowerAccess Deluxe.......but it's 'better'.   :think:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #126 on: July 06, 2018, 11:06:19 PM

And the Powerlock doesn't have all the features of the PowerAccess Deluxe.......but it's 'better'.   :think:

if it's better than the PAD, then it's a Powerlock Deluxe Gourmet  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #127 on: July 06, 2018, 11:07:21 PM

I would like to think SOG made a good
MT at some stage but i am not seeing this  :think: :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #128 on: July 07, 2018, 12:23:28 AM
Day 14 (continued):

Used the 1/4" drive and a Allen Hex bit to install some homemade wooden scales on my BK7.

The 1/4" drive is a neat feature of this and other SOG multi's. I do wish my 1/4" bit adapter were magnetized and held the bits more securely. The SOG has a small spring clip to help the 1/4" driver to 'snap' into the adapter, but it's fairly easy for the the hex bit to fall out, if so guided by gravity's mischievous hand.

The Powerlock fits neatly into the accessory pouch of the BK7's sheath. Might try carrying it this way for a day hike or camping trip.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #129 on: July 07, 2018, 12:44:20 AM
Excellent work on the wooden scales Nix  :dd:
It’s like the sheath was designed for a MT :tu: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #130 on: July 07, 2018, 12:45:47 AM
Ha ha ha, yes. It may have been so designed.

And thanks!   :hatsoff:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #131 on: July 07, 2018, 02:10:09 AM
Those wood handles you made. :drool:
My only wood-handle custom is so smurfed-looking I am almost too embarrassed to post it. It went well until I drilled the hole for a screw/nut and splintered it out in the center.  :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #132 on: July 07, 2018, 02:12:26 AM
I was super careful with these.  :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #133 on: July 07, 2018, 02:49:23 AM
The wood scales look amazing Nix.  You did a great job on them. :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #134 on: July 07, 2018, 03:22:50 AM
Thanks, Alan!

It was a fun project. (Using scrap wood... :facepalm:)   :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #135 on: July 07, 2018, 04:23:26 AM
Day 14 (continued):

Decided to share a piece of delicious chocolate with oranges and almonds with Mrs Nix this evening. Obviously, breaking it cleanly in half was fairly important.

I used the awl to score the chocolate bar in half (more or less) and then snap it cleanly. One of the awl uses Mrs Nix really appreciates.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #136 on: July 07, 2018, 09:58:49 AM
I could soo do with some chocolate right about now.   :dd:   :gimme:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #137 on: July 07, 2018, 12:19:15 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #138 on: July 07, 2018, 01:04:26 PM
You did those scales?!!  :o :ahhh

not that I doubt your craftsmanship and handworking abilities but those look supreme  :o and like an aftermarket custom scale option for people with $ and exquisite taste  :clap:
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #139 on: July 07, 2018, 02:16:34 PM
Thanks, El P.  :hatsoff:

Yes; I made them from some scrap pieces of Maple.  :tu:  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #140 on: July 07, 2018, 07:59:03 PM
Day 15:

I peened the scissors a bit more and today I got the chance to try 'em out. Plastic bags have been a real challenge for the scissors in the past. Today I'm soaking some beans, so the scissors had to meet it's nemesis.

At first it was a bit of a struggle, but then I realized that the scissors don't cut very well at the pivot point, but do cut fairly nicely closer to the tips. Once I realized that, I was able to make repetitive snips with the tip-half of the scissors and the bag was defeated.

A victory of sorts......

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #141 on: July 07, 2018, 08:27:08 PM
Good job Nix  :like: :like: :tu:
Shame that the scissors still don’t work properly  :ahhh
Maybe peen the Scissors again  :think: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #142 on: July 07, 2018, 08:43:20 PM
I like the new Avatar, W!  :like:

There isn't much play in the scissors now. And the scissors are mostly functional for my purposes. I think I'm going to follow the old saw: "Better is the enemy of good."

I'm going to call these scissors "good enough" and not risk messing them up at this point.  :cheers:

If further use dictates that I peen them some more, I'll hazard that, but for right now.......best to leave well enough alone, I think.   :think:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #143 on: July 07, 2018, 08:50:16 PM
Thanks Nix  :cheers:
You never know the scissors might get better with use :tu: :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #144 on: July 07, 2018, 10:54:12 PM
self sharpening scissors like Wenger's might  :D
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #145 on: July 08, 2018, 11:46:09 PM
Day 16:

Not much going on today, but I did cut the lawn. Before hand, I touched up the mower's blade. The Powerlock's file actually did fairly well in tidying up the edge. After the file, I hit the mower blade with a diamond rod and then got to cutting.

Of course, after cutting the lawn on a hot summer day, a fella deserves to relax with some cold suds......Dutch_Tooler knows what I mean.....

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #146 on: July 09, 2018, 01:03:39 AM
Nice one Nix  :tu: :like: :like:
Good to hear that the file worked better  :D

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #147 on: July 09, 2018, 01:45:56 AM
Day 11:

Back home now and no significant adventures. I was really happy to see there is still some snow lingering up on the peaks of the taller mountains. Snow is water, and water is life. So snow in July means water in the creeks and streams, and life in the rivers and lakes. And that puts a smile on my face.  :tu:

I did struggle a bit with the scissors again. I'll try to peen them some more in the next day or two. Otherwise, the Powerlock just rode along for the journey. Awlways nice to have a multi close at hand.

Time for a G&T now, so......

(Image removed from quote.)

One thing I miss about living in the mountains is seeing snow in the summer   :dd:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #148 on: July 09, 2018, 02:56:16 AM
Nice to see the file came through on the mower blades. The newer PL file isn't good, but it isn't bad like the PAD file either. The older "round end" file is a bit better, but for some reason, SOG has never made a "good" file. Their best files are mediocre to be honest.

You could order one of the older round files from the MT.o store. It would drop in without an issue. The older one has a bigger usable area for sure.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #149 on: July 10, 2018, 12:22:53 AM
Day 17:

Messed around with testing the awl and Phillips driver today.

Used the awl to drill a pilot hole for a standard wood screw:

Awl did a fairly good job with this task.

Next I tried driving the wood screw into the 2x4:

I drove the screw about 1/2 way in. At that point, the resistance led to the driver twisting, flexing, and popping out of the screw head.  I then used a standard 1pt Phillips screw driver to drive the screw in a bit further, but it, too, started popping out. I'd say the Powerlock's Phillips worked well as compared to a standard driver, although I did notice significant flexing of the blade in the handle and the handle in the frame, all of which led to the driver tip disengaging from the screw. i.e. 'popping out'.

Lastly, I used the Powerlock to remove the screw from the 2x4. This was fairly tough, but the Powerlock did well and accomplished the job.

The driver tip did get chewed up a bit, but still looks entirely functional. I don't think it would be happy with repeated hard use like this, but it accomplished what I set out to test.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%