Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock 30-day challenge

Nix · 321 · 13522

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: Powerlock 30-day challenge
Reply #180 on: July 13, 2018, 06:32:01 PM
The saw does look short and the
handle is in the way for thicker wood :( :think:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #181 on: July 13, 2018, 07:03:56 PM
Day 21 (continued):

Yes that doesn’t look comfortable  :(
But the LM Supertool is the same when you
use the pliers and hasn’t given me any problems  :tu:

So, just for you, my dear W, I removed the covers from the Powerlock and then compared the comfort of the Swisstool, Super Tool, and Powerlock. I ranked them in terms of comfort from left (best) to right (least comfy):

It's a nice comparison shot for these 'heavy-duty' multis. The Swisstool was the most comfortable by far. And the Supertool was still more comfortable than the Powerlock. Why?

Look at the comparison shot of the edges:

You can see the the Supertool (middle) has rounded the edges of the handles where possible, and the tools are a bit better covered. The handle material on the Powerlock (right) is thinner and sharper. So, with a good grip, the Powerlock cuts into the hand more.

Now, with the covers back in place, the Powerlock is neck and neck in terms of comfort with the Swisstool.

So, I'm keeping the covers on and accepting inconvenience in favor of comfort.  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:15:47 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #182 on: July 13, 2018, 07:14:56 PM
Day 21 (continued):

While I had the tools out, I compared saws.

The shot is a bit deceiving because the handles aren't lined up. I tried to line up the ricassos, but it looks like I shorted the SOG a tad. I'm not sure if that's a distortion of the camera or I bumped the SOG prior to the shot.

Nevertheless, you can see the SOG's saw is short compared to the other multi's saws. SOG had the space to get it's saw to be the same length as Leatherman's--the handles are about the same length. But...no.

While the Leatherman's saw looks a bit longer than the Swisstool saw, the Swiss tool is the clear winner here because there is more usable saw blade since the blade opens outward and there is no handle to get in the way.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:17:04 PM by Nix »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #183 on: July 13, 2018, 07:29:44 PM
Day 21 (continued):

While I had the tools out, I compared saws.

(Image removed from quote.)

The shot is a bit deceiving because the handles aren't lined up. I tried to line up the ricassos, but it looks like I shorted the SOG a tad. I'm not sure if that's a distortion of the camera or I bumped the SOG prior to the shot.

Nevertheless, you can see the SOG's saw is short compared to the other multi's saws. SOG had the space to get it's saw to be the same length as Leatherman's--the handles are about the same length. But...no.

While the Leatherman's saw looks a bit longer than the Swisstool saw, the Swiss tool is the clear winner here because there is more usable saw blade since the blade opens outward and there is no handle to get in the way.
I think the LM still has more usable saw blade. Not much. You will hit the stop on the saw blade first before you hit the handle. Also, you can use the saws with the tool open, keeping the handle out of the way.
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #184 on: July 13, 2018, 07:55:18 PM
Nice to see the different models of MTs
With the handles I was looking at the old Supertool
And they haven’t got the rounded edges
If I had the Powerlock I would leave the covers on as well  :tu: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #185 on: July 13, 2018, 08:31:49 PM
I think the LM still has more usable saw blade. Not much. You will hit the stop on the saw blade first before you hit the handle. Also, you can use the saws with the tool open, keeping the handle out of the way.

Good point!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #186 on: July 14, 2018, 05:07:54 AM
Thanks for the pics, Nix!

I am not sure, why in 20+ years, SOG couldn't have just updated the saw and blades to be longer. They changed the tooth count in the 90s, but left it the same length.  :think:
I know they were trying to make all their tools fit the PP, PPP, PL, PAssist, and SwitchPlier; but it really wouldn't have taken much to have a longer saw blade available at some point for the PL and PA. :facepalm:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #187 on: July 14, 2018, 12:37:37 PM
Thanks for the pics, Nix!

I am not sure, why in 20+ years, SOG couldn't have just updated the saw and blades to be longer. They changed the tooth count in the 90s, but left it the same length.  :think:
I know they were trying to make all their tools fit the PP, PPP, PL, PAssist, and SwitchPlier; but it really wouldn't have taken much to have a longer saw blade available at some point for the PL and PA. :facepalm:

I really believe that they've used the same template (piece) of their original saw, which I think was in the PowerPlier,  :think: and they decided to use it on the Powerlock, where it looks a bit short,

Show content

and if you put it in the Blacktip it looks puny and stupid  :ahhh

Show content

compared to most other manufacturers SOG seems to make short, flimsy tools to put in their huge, tank Multis,   ???
with the exception of the PA and Blacktip, I would say the same of their blades

Show content
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #188 on: July 14, 2018, 03:33:30 PM
Thank you for the photos, TP!

The saw looks so silly in the BlackTip. :rofl:

Does your PowerPlier have the saw with fine teeth? Mine does, and the amount of effort to modify the tooling to the newer-style "bigger" teeth would have been a good opportunity to design a new saw especially for the PL. They could have just used the old machinery to make finer-tooth saws for the PP, PPP, and ParaTool. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #189 on: July 15, 2018, 02:15:44 AM
Day 22:

Did a bit of yard work this morning. Used the Powerlock to open some bags of compost.......

This evening...and El Peacent has been expecting this, I know...it was roast chicken time!

(Mrs Nix loves roast chicken.)

The Tomahawk is there in case the feeble-feeling blade on the Powerlock wasn't able to meet the task.

However, the Tomahawk was not needed. The SOG's blade did fine. I removed the backbone, the wishbone, the ribs, and spatchcocked the bird.

While the SOG did OK, the blade lost it's edge during this process. In removing the backbone, I tend to 'feel' my way along, severing joints as I go. This results in a little blade-on-bone contact, which seemed to be enough to dull the SOG.

After completing the task, I stropped the SOG to bring the edge right back.

After the chicken was prepped, it was seasoned and grilled for about 45 minutes. Yum!

Thank you, SOG!   :tu:

(and, yes, I washed the blade after doing yardwork, before cutting up the chicken, and after cutting up the chicken.  :salute:)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #190 on: July 15, 2018, 12:10:42 PM
Excellent job Nix looks nice  :drool: :like: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #191 on: July 15, 2018, 12:25:06 PM
Thank you for the photos, TP!

The saw looks so silly in the BlackTip. :rofl:

Does your PowerPlier have the saw with fine teeth? Mine does, and the amount of effort to modify the tooling to the newer-style "bigger" teeth would have been a good opportunity to design a new saw especially for the PL. They could have just used the old machinery to make finer-tooth saws for the PP, PPP, and ParaTool. :ahhh

Since I have three PowerPliers (how did I end up with 3 of them?  ???) I have what I believe are all the variations, one with the fine smaller teeth, one with the wider and bigger teeth, and one with a Robertson driver instead of a 1/4 driver or an additional Flathead  :salute:

I haven't compared both saws so I don't really know which would I prefer  :ahhh :think:

Day 22:

This evening...and El Peacent has been expecting this, I know...it was roast chicken time!
The Tomahawk is there in case the feeble-feeling blade on the Powerlock wasn't able to meet the task.

yes, you knew it  :D
To me cauliflower and zucchini testing are essentials to determine the performance of a blade  :salute:

PS: I once used a Tomahawk in the kitchen (not exactly a tomahawk, it was the Ontario SPAX) and it went through the thing  ::) and got stuck into the wooden cutting board below  :P, the mark was there for years until we got rid of that board on our last move  :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #192 on: July 15, 2018, 11:02:58 PM
Day 23:

A few missed photo opportunities today. In the morning I used the large driver bit to pry up the pull-tab on a can of seltzer. So that pretty much saved the day. But no phone or camera, so no glorious action shot.....sorry.

Later, with even more drama, I used the pliers to remove some debris from the engine compartment of Mrs Nix's car. So that was two major rescues in one day, neither of which got documented.

I considered doing some re-enactment shots, but, with the production budget under scrutiny, I opted for a simple nature shot from the garden.

Nice, eh?

So here it is, Day 23, and I have used every tool of the Powerlock, for either it's designed purpose or an alternative, with the exception of the crimper.  The rest of this challenge should be pure gravy...........
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:04:08 PM by Nix »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #193 on: July 16, 2018, 01:37:12 AM
Great pics and uses, Nix! :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #194 on: July 16, 2018, 02:37:34 AM
Thanks, G-man.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #195 on: July 16, 2018, 07:14:23 PM
Day 24 :

Time to refill the bird seed bucket.....

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #196 on: July 16, 2018, 07:21:33 PM
Nice to see you caring for wildlife Nix  :tu: :like:
With this hot weather we put
bowls with water out for the wildlife  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #197 on: July 16, 2018, 07:25:03 PM
Yes, we've got a big dish of water out near the bird feeders.

The birds love it and we enjoy watching them bathe and drink.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #198 on: July 16, 2018, 08:50:42 PM
Something is a bit fowl about that. :P

Seriously, that is a nice thing to do. I love watching the birds as well. :)

This has been a great challenge thread, Nix! Your photos and uses make me feel lazy.  :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #199 on: July 16, 2018, 10:46:51 PM
G-man, It's not work if you are having fun!

Day 24 (continued):

Used the Powerlock to remove the pins, after test fitting, from a knife I'm finishing up. Pins are tight! And the Powerlock was a great help in pulling them back out.

Knife is epoxied and clamped up now. After the epoxy cures, I'll finish the handle and sharpen up the blade. The blade is one I made from 1095, which is why it's not the most gorgeous thing made. But....should be a nice carry knife.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:49:48 PM by Nix »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #200 on: July 16, 2018, 10:53:19 PM
Very nice! I can't wait to see how it comes out! :popcorn:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #201 on: July 17, 2018, 12:37:03 AM
Looking good Nix excellent job  :like: :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #202 on: July 17, 2018, 12:51:21 AM
Thanks, guys.   :salute:

There are still many opportunities to make several more mistakes........... :dwts:

But the epoxy seems to have set up nicely.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #203 on: July 17, 2018, 05:17:19 AM
Day 24 (continued):

Mrs Nix summoned me to go outside this evening. She had discovered some Aspen suckers growing up through a Dogwood shrub and requested they be removed immediately. Well, since the Powerlock was in my pocket.......

I use the wire cutters like secateurs to cut them off, down low. They'll be back, but the Powerlock will still be ready.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #204 on: July 17, 2018, 06:26:22 AM
The SOG wire cutter section is one of the best I know of. Nice job with using them in the yard! :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #205 on: July 17, 2018, 12:16:50 PM
Good job Nix  :like: :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #206 on: July 17, 2018, 12:18:01 PM
G-man, It's not work if you are having fun!

Day 24 (continued):

Used the Powerlock to remove the pins, after test fitting, from a knife I'm finishing up. Pins are tight! And the Powerlock was a great help in pulling them back out.

(Image removed from quote.)

Knife is epoxied and clamped up now. After the epoxy cures, I'll finish the handle and sharpen up the blade. The blade is one I made from 1095, which is why it's not the most gorgeous thing made. But....should be a nice carry knife.

looks very interesting!!  :like:
 :popcorn:
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #207 on: July 17, 2018, 08:06:03 PM
Day 25:

It doesn't pay to get on Mrs Nix's bad side.

Let me explain:

We've had a couple of chipmunks in the local area since Spring. At first they seemed cute. Then they started digging little tunnels and dens under the back patio. But Mrs Nix still thought they were cute.

Then she discovered that at least one chipmunk had gotten up into her car engine compartment and gnawed away some of the insulation under the hood. (Probably to line it's den.) Well, the chipmunks are not cute anymore. I was given orders to remove them from the premises.....ASAP.

So I set out a trap and caught one this morning. He was furious and was chattering and 'barking' at me. I drove him about 10 miles away, to a national forest, with a nice stream nearby.

Now, I've seen Monty Python and I knew I didn't want my fingers anywhere near the mouth of that trap when I opened it up. So, I used the Powerlock to lift up one of the doors from a safe distance away. A good argument for a full-sized multi, right here.

Anyway the little rascal bolted out the trap door and scampered off into the woods. I half-expected him to be back on the patio by the time I got home.  :rofl:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #208 on: July 17, 2018, 08:11:32 PM
Good one Nix  :like: :like: :tu:
How many more do you have to catch
As there has got to be more than one :ahhh :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #209 on: July 17, 2018, 08:13:13 PM