Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock 30-day challenge

Nix · 321 · 12943

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Powerlock 30-day challenge
Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 04:15:59 PM
Tried to use the pliers to loosen the hot & cold water supplies for the washer, but the space was just too confined. In the end I used some slip joint pliers to loosen the hoses up. This is no hit on the Powerlock, just a realistic limitation due to a large 'nut' in a confined space.

You could always give it a nose job on a bench grinder, but then you give up the needle nose functionality.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: June 25, 2018, 04:42:19 PM
Now that's usin' yer Noodle!   :tu:   Nice snaps.   :tu:

I do kinda like the reach one gets with needle nose pliers. And I don't have any gripes with the SOG pliers at this point. I'll continue to point out situations (as come up) where the needle nose either is better for the job or isn't. The whole reason we have a diversity of knives, pliers, and drivers, is that each has it's virtue....and limitation. No one multitool is going to be perfect for every situation.

I'm not a working man....unless working at being lazy is a job...and I tend to look for multitools that will be good companions for EDC, fishing, camping, hunting, etc..... For my life, needle nose makes a bit more sense. I think.   :think:  But I've never carried a blunt nose multitool, so I'm certainly open to changing my mind. I do have a birthday coming up.........  ;)

:multi:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: June 25, 2018, 07:07:58 PM
Day 03:

Got out for a short hike this morning while it's still cool. With the Spring rains we've had, everything is now looking nice and green. There are still a few patches of snow up in the high spots...... :tu:

No uses for the Powerlock on the hike today, but it rode nicely in the sheath.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 01:17:39 AM
Day 03 (continued):

Mrs Nix got a box today and wanted me to open it. I reached for the chisel/wire stripper.....and then realized that tool is on the Victorinox Spirit.  :facepalm:

So, I pulled out the spike and used that to tear open the packaging. Not elegant, but it worked.   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 11:31:51 PM
Day 04:

Making Broccoli Soup for dinner this evening. SOG Powerlock's blade got pressed into kitchen duty.

About to get the El Peacent treatment:

Mayhem completed:

The Powerlock worked well here. The blade is sharp and slices well. This task did highlight a disadvantage of having an internally folding knife blade (as opposed to outside opening knife): since the knife faces inward, the second handle prevents the blade from making full-length contact with a cutting board, except when working off the very edge. To make many of these cuts, I had to use a drawing or pulling cut with the tip of the knife. Not a big deal, but definitely not as agile as a regular paring knife.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 11:56:48 PM
Day 04 (continued):

I'm taking a Dutch_Tooler approach to Cap Lifter testing......

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #36 on: June 27, 2018, 12:18:56 AM
In a pinch,  I have used inboard toolset blades with the pliers deployed and handles open to facilitate flush surface cutting. The PL is not terrible that way. But, to be honest, I don't like MT blades in general (inboard or outboard). It is like a knife with brick handle. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: June 27, 2018, 12:40:20 AM
 :rofl:   'zactly.

But it works.

With SOG's compound leverage, it's a bit tougher to use the inboard knife with the pliers opened, but that too is doable.   :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #38 on: June 27, 2018, 01:04:02 PM
:rofl:   'zactly.

But it works.

With SOG's compound leverage, it's a bit tougher to use the inboard knife with the pliers opened, but that too is doable.   :tu:

I have poked myself more than once trying to use a SOG implement with the handles extended like I do with the Spirit and Leathermans  :facepalm:
The Blacktip's long and slender plier jaws are like deadly spears waiting to stab you!!  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: June 27, 2018, 10:17:40 PM
Nice work Nix  :like: :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: June 28, 2018, 12:00:52 AM
Thanks, W.   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: June 28, 2018, 12:32:29 AM
Day 05:

I got the chance to head up into the hills to do a little fishing today.......

Really nice day and not too hot. I headed for a stream where I've been successful before. I knew the water would be high and feared it would be muddy from all the recent rain, but it looked pretty good:

While I remembered the Powerlock, I forgot to bring the insect repellent. This would prove to be a major oversight......

Because I anticipated high water and muddy conditions, I decided to bring a spinning rod. This was not the best choice. While I got a few nice casts in and hoped for a result.....I got skunked.

Part of my failure was due to poor gear selection, but part was also due to an active and continual running battle with a horde of mosquitoes. I tried to cover up, but they exploited any opening. When they decide to try crawling up my nose, I made a tactical withdrawal and tried to make it back to the truck.

On my way, I ran into a barbed wire entanglement, clearly designed to entrap the unwary fisherman, leaving said poor soul to the merciless mosquitoes.

I have to say the Powerlock was impressive in cutting the wire fairly easily. I don't think I've had another multitool cut double-stranded barbed wire as easily as the Powerlock.

Once cleared of the barbed wire, I made my way back to the truck and headed home. Bruised, bloodied, and humiliated, but now with a new bottle of DEET.   :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: June 28, 2018, 03:46:04 AM
That sounds like a terrible fishing excursion!  I hope your next fishing trip goes better. :ahhh

At least the PL didn't let you down when you needed it. :-\
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: June 28, 2018, 04:24:31 AM
Any day fishing is a good day.   :rofl:

But, yeah, next time, mosquito repellent.   :oops:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: June 28, 2018, 02:02:37 PM
it seems that you went fishing but the mosquitoes ended up fishing you!  :ahhh
SOGs C.Leverage and wire cutters are really good, the main attractive if SOG tools IMO. :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: June 28, 2018, 02:21:14 PM
I'd agree with that--all that--at that moment...... :D

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: June 28, 2018, 02:45:56 PM
Great you could cut that barbed wire Nix :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: June 28, 2018, 02:49:22 PM
Thanks, W.

I really like this test for a multitool's cutters. Separates the posers from the performers.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: June 28, 2018, 02:54:57 PM
Thanks, W.

I really like this test for a multitool's cutters. Separates the posers from the performers.
Have you tried your fishing wire with the cutters yet  :think: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: June 28, 2018, 03:03:39 PM
Great question! Thanks for the reminder.   :tu:

I guess I didn't post up a pic of that test. But, YES!

These snips cut 44#, 30#, 15#, 10#, and.....slender 3# mono-filament fishing line.

I figured that the bigger stuff would not be an issue. I doubted the 3# would be cut, as it is soooooo fine and flexible. But the snips cut that quite nicely, too.

So far, the Powerlock's wire cutters have been excellent.  :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: June 28, 2018, 03:07:37 PM
Nice one Nix :cheers:
So far so good than :D :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: June 28, 2018, 11:20:23 PM
Day 06:

No uses today (so far). Powerlock has been riding around on my belt in it's sheath, Vic Classic in my pocket (no uses for that today either). So far I like this sheath fairly well.  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: June 29, 2018, 01:58:03 AM
Whenever I see a PowerLock or Assist, I ask myself "why does SOG bother making stuff like the PAD, if it is going to have to compete with the superior PL?" :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: June 29, 2018, 03:00:07 AM
I hear ya.

The PAD is packed with features and tools. That's nice.  And the compound mechanism of the PAD is more elegant than the Powerlock's shrouded approach. That's nice, too.

In my case, if the quality of the PAD was up at the Powerlock level, I think the PAD might be the superior tool, but right now, I like the Powerlock much better for it's fit, feel, and function (yeah, I did have some issues with the scissors, but a bit of peening seems to have improved those.).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: June 29, 2018, 12:19:04 PM
I feel that it's like SOG should learn a thing or two from Victorinox , :think:

1 - you should wait enough (1, 5 or 10 years) to put out and release a new tool that beats or improves your previous offerings,  :mn: if the tool you're releasing doesn't have an alternative use or completely different function than the previous ones, and it's just meant to be the evolution of those, it should be better or at least improved in some obvious upgrades  :multi:

I feel like SOG is worsening their lineup, not the opposite, and they trust the "lots of new releases in short time" model of business to be successful,
thus making quality and reputation suffer  :ahhh

2 - learn how to make scissors if you're gonna put them on your tools! In all sizes and versions, scissors should cut things!!! :rant:
My toys:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: June 29, 2018, 12:27:41 PM
Well said TP :cheers: :like: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: June 29, 2018, 09:44:23 PM
+1.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: June 29, 2018, 09:49:00 PM
Day 07:

Did a little cut testing today:

The Powerlock's blade did a nice job with all these cuts. However, when I examined the edge afterward, I noted that the edge had rolled, quite significantly. Not good.

I re-cut the same materials with a Buck 110 with a 420HC blade and got similar results, but WITHOUT edge rolling.

This suggests to me that while the SOG's blade geometry is good, they haven't made the most of their blade materials and heat treatment.

***sigh***  :facepalm:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:50:13 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: June 29, 2018, 10:10:40 PM
The good side of soft steel is that it sharpens up easily.

This blade is ground thin and is very flexible. It's not a 'hard use' blade to be sure. Feels like I could snap it easily (with my gorilla-strength grip  :viking:).

So, I suspect that's why the steel is soft and the edge rolls: a harder steel would be more prone to snapping. (And more returns to the warranty department.)

I'm going to keep an eye on the knife blade, here. Right now, I'm a bit underwhelmed, despite some decent cutting test results.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: June 30, 2018, 06:26:02 PM
In my experience yes,
SOG's multitool blades have very soft steel   :ahhh :P
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%