Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock 30-day challenge

Nix · 321 · 13330

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Powerlock 30-day challenge
Reply #90 on: July 05, 2018, 08:44:26 PM
Have no fears, my friend, the file will appear.....  :mn:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #91 on: July 05, 2018, 08:45:46 PM
 :popcorn: :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #92 on: July 05, 2018, 08:47:03 PM
Day 13:

Carried the Powerlock in the back pocket of my jeans. Actually worked fairly well, no issues, and I may try carrying it this way a bit more. A pocket caddy might be a good idea as well.

Used the awl to improve a disposable coffee cup. I try to avoid disposable cups, but that's just the way things unfolded today. The 'awl' did a nice job of improving the vent hole.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #93 on: July 05, 2018, 08:49:55 PM
Excellent job Nix  :cheers:
You didn’t damage the Awl did you  :rofl: :rofl:  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #94 on: July 05, 2018, 09:00:15 PM
So, the tools in the handle are covered by a.....tool cover. At first this seemed like an inelegant solution to covering the handles with smoother metal when operating the pliers. And it seemed like a bit of a hassle to open the pliers, open the tool cover, select a tool (from the clump of tools), close the cover, close the pliers, and then use the tool.

If you counted, that's 5 steps to access a cap lifter.

If you have a boy scout knife, only one step is required.

So, at first it seemed like a bit of a hassle. Now I have become more accustomed to the elaborate process and don't seem to mind. I'm not really any more efficient in getting out a tool, but now I have a bit of an idea which handle a tool is in and so I'm opening and closing the tools covers less. And it's kind of relaxing to flip the covers open and closed.

And the tool covers serve as a second 'lock'. In fact, I think the locks are really optional with the tool covers in place. With the covers closed, there is no way for a tool to close on the user.....

...except for the scissors. The base of the scissors stands a bit proud and the tool cover cannot close fully when the scissors are deployed. They can lock open, but the tool cover doesn't close up all the way.

***sigh***

Which tester didn't notice that design flaw? How did an engineer miss that?  :think:

I'm starting to enjoy this SOG more with time and use, but, I must say, SOG, as a company, really baffles me.   ???

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: July 05, 2018, 09:01:38 PM

Don't think so.

I checked (with my reading glasses on) and I didn't see any edge rolling or tool deformation.  :tu:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #96 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:32 PM

Don't think so.

I checked (with my reading glasses on) and I didn't see any edge rolling or tool deformation.  :tu:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
So that’s a + for the awl then  :D :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #97 on: July 05, 2018, 10:00:10 PM
Hey Nix,

Remember how you independently discovered being able to flick open the SOG pliers?
There is a trick TP and I use for accessing tools in less steps without removing the covers that is similat in its' unique MT nature.

When you open the handles to deploy he pliers, pull the cover on the side you're accessing open with the handle half. All tools, even the long ones, will pull out with the cover propped on the pliers. This also keeps the tool from opening all the way inadvertently during tool access. Once you get the hang of it, accessing tools in less steps is a cake walk. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #98 on: July 05, 2018, 10:05:55 PM
Like this?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #99 on: July 05, 2018, 10:18:12 PM
Here's a close up of the tool cover not quite closing with the scissors in the locked open position:

You can see how the dimple in the cover doesn't quite snap into the detent in the handle because the base of the scissors is just a bit wide/tall/proud.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:22:25 PM by Nix »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #100 on: July 05, 2018, 10:21:47 PM
That’s a bit annoying  :think: ???

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #101 on: July 05, 2018, 10:23:44 PM
Not a big deal, really.

I don't need the scissors to lock-up even.

But it's concerning that such a fundamental design flaw would slip through T&E.   :-\

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #102 on: July 05, 2018, 10:26:04 PM
I swear, if I ran a company that made multitools, I'd give a dozen prototypes out to MTo members and ask for feedback. Twelve half-lazy MTo 'testers' would have more to say in the space of two weeks than a whole T&E department could discover in a year.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: July 05, 2018, 10:26:09 PM
That should of been fixed before they were produced  :rant:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #104 on: July 05, 2018, 10:27:08 PM
True.

If they cared.   ???

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #105 on: July 05, 2018, 10:30:40 PM
That’s what I am starting to believe  >:(

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #106 on: July 05, 2018, 11:18:06 PM
Like this?

(Image removed from quote.)
Indeed! I felt like my world changed when I figured that out on my old PL. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #107 on: July 05, 2018, 11:21:41 PM
Like this?

(Image removed from quote.)
Indeed! I felt like my world changed when I figured that out on my old PL. :cheers:

Dang! You just beat me to it  :megaslap:

I was scrolling through and the posts and was going to tell Nix the "Cover Method  :mn:" but saw that you already did

:cheers:

And yes my PL scissors also had that problem. After I switched to LM scissors in the mod that was not an issue  :multi:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #108 on: July 05, 2018, 11:47:41 PM
And yes my PL scissors also had that problem. After I switched to LM scissors in the mod that was not an issue  :multi:

:rofl:

That may be the most damning comment I've ever read: " My multi worked better after I found out that a different company's tools fit it better."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #109 on: July 06, 2018, 12:57:29 AM
SOG should advertise "We include mediocre scissors, but Leatherman scissors fit better". :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #110 on: July 06, 2018, 01:12:05 AM
 :facepalm:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #111 on: July 06, 2018, 02:11:31 AM
"SOG sent me a second Powerlock with scissors. I'm not sure how that happened. Maybe when I returned my PowerAccess Deluxe it triggered an exchange that resulted in my being sent a second Powerlock (w/scissors)."

When you sent back the Power Access Deluxe did you specify that you were so disappointed in them that you didn't want them back? Or, are you expecting that back sometime as well?  Sometimes the shipping department just puts the wrong label on a package. Other times there may have been a customer service manager trying to keep you happy after you were so disappointed in the PAD.  I have to say that SOG usually has pretty good customer service and I wouldn't put it past them to just send you an extra tool to use while they fix the PAD.  Bonus! :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #112 on: July 06, 2018, 02:51:00 AM
Alan,

My experience to date is that SOG has been very willing and interested in trying to make me a happy customer. Good, nay, great customer support.

I was very disappointed in the PowerAccess Deluxe. I sent it back in exchange for one (1) Powerlock with scissors. Somehow I ended up with two (2). I do NOT expect the PowerAccess to be returned to me. And, I hope it is not. My PowerAccess was a poor example of a multitool and I think I would have ended up junking it. Other PowerAccess owners have had better experiences with their individual examples. Me, not.

So, it would seem that SOG has overachieved in terms of replacing my PowerAccess. While I'd like to think this is a result of an effort to be sure a customer is satisfied, I suspect it is the result of the left hand not communicating with the right hand. Or something like that.

Regardless, SOG have done a great job in replacing a poor quality multitool (from my perspective) with one that seems--so far in my experience--a bit better.

This new Powerlock is not without faults, and there are still two weeks left in my 30-day challenge. I'm interested to see how my perception of SOG's products continues to develop as the challenge progresses. Nevertheless, I'm completely done with e PowerAccess Deluxe. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm feeling more optimistic about the Powerlock right now.

Sorry to be so frank, but there is my view, based on one (1) experience with the PowerAccess.  :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #113 on: July 06, 2018, 04:33:05 AM
El Peacent has called the Powerlock a 'beast'. Well......all things are relative...right?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: July 06, 2018, 04:37:12 AM
There is beast, and then there is overkill. :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #115 on: July 06, 2018, 05:05:42 AM
Nix,

Thought you might like to see how little SOG has changed the PowerLock since 1998. Aside from the pliers and gear covers, most implements are similar or exactly the same. The handles are slightly different, but identical in concept/execution  as well. This my only new PowerLock, and it has a different tool loadout, but it gives an idea.
The older PL is a pre-pat #(likely 1998) and the newer one is a 2018 model with v-cutter, instead of scissors.
20180705_214908-1.jpeg
* 20180705_214908-1.jpeg (Filesize: 136.65 KB)
20180705_215117-1.jpeg
* 20180705_215117-1.jpeg (Filesize: 234.09 KB)
20180705_215202-1.jpeg
* 20180705_215202-1.jpeg (Filesize: 192.65 KB)
20180705_215359-1.jpeg
* 20180705_215359-1.jpeg (Filesize: 157.47 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #116 on: July 06, 2018, 06:10:25 AM
Thanks!  :tu:

Great post.   :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #117 on: July 06, 2018, 06:31:37 AM
 :hatsoff:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #118 on: July 06, 2018, 07:09:01 AM
Pretty sure there is a piano lock version as well.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #119 on: July 06, 2018, 07:11:44 AM
I swear, if I ran a company that made multitools, I'd give a dozen prototypes out to MTo members and ask for feedback. Twelve half-lazy MTo 'testers' would have more to say in the space of two weeks than a whole T&E department could discover in a year.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%