Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK 130mm Saw vs. 111mm Saw

MMR · 8 · 2018

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
SAK 130mm Saw vs. 111mm Saw
on: April 18, 2019, 02:59:05 PM
I made a separate thread for this as it’s not specific to the rangerwood, but the saw in the 130mm frame and how it holds up against the 111mm frame saw.

The SAKs in used in this comparison is the 130mm Rangerwood 55 and the 111mm Soldier.

DISCLAIMER: this test was done on dead and fallen branches and trees. No living trees were harmed in this test / comparison.

To make it as consistent as possible, I tested both SAKs on the same branch / tree.

But anyway; I’m going to keep this as concise and straightforward as possible, since let’s be honest, no one wants to read a novel, we just want to hear the results.

So I’m going to get straight into it!..

My first test was on a 3 finger thick branch. I didn’t take any other pictures than the one below, because I didn’t really notice any significant difference between the two on this thickness of branch.

So I decided to really step up the game and test them on a small fallen tree, the tree was around the thickness of my hand.

The 111mm started out good, but once I got midway through it started to struggle.

Also set to an extend where it got stuck.

But I it make it through eventually, and by this time my hand was pretty tired as well.

The 130mm on the other hand made it through with a lot more ease and in half the time it took the 111mm.

When I made it around half way through I didn’t notice it struggling as much as the 111mm did at all.

This is really there the extra length and weight of the 130mm stood out from the 111mm.

So what to conclude from this?

For the type of branches one would use for walking sticks, wood for starting a fire, throwing stick for your dog, etc. - I didn’t really notice much of a difference, there was a little in favor of the 130mm but nothing to praise the 130mm over the 111mm saw for.

But for the kind of stuff one would use for building shelter, maybe a small bridge, supporting structure or a large fire. - Thats where I really noticed a difference between the 130mm and 111mm saw. The larger 130mm saw took a lot less effort and time to make its way through the same small tree as the 111mm saw did.

Hope this was helpful to anyone who’s either in the market for a larger SAK and unsure if they should choose a 111mm or 130mm, or anyone who has either a 111mm and wondering if they should buy a 130mm too or visa versa.

Thanks for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Re: SAK 130mm Saw vs. 111mm Saw
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 03:03:01 PM
If anyone is in the market for a 130mm or 111mm SAK.

In my thread about the rangerwood, I compare the different tools sizes in the 130mm and 111mm SAKs as well:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=81081

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:21:41 PM
I made a separate thread for this as it’s not specific to the rangerwood, but the saw in the 130mm frame and how it holds up against the 111mm frame saw.

The SAKs in used in this comparison is the 130mm Rangerwood 55 and the 111mm Soldier.

Nice comparison and pics MMR! :like: :tu: :tu:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 08:37:45 PM
As a rule of thumb, to saw efficiently, you need a saw length of at least 1.5 times the diameter of the branch.

I agree there's no noticeable difference in the performance of the two saws.  :iagree:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 09:33:18 PM
Nice comparison and pics MMR! :like: :tu: :tu:

Thank you sir

As a rule of thumb, to saw efficiently, you need a saw length of at least 1.5 times the diameter of the branch.

I agree there's no noticeable difference in the performance of the two saws.  :iagree:

Ah I didn’t know that, thanks for that info

What I was mainly trying to test / show here was more how the two saws would hold up against something huge that you wouldn’t normally saw with a SAK, particularly because I didn’t find any noticeable difference with smaller branches

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:07:07 AM
Funny thing is I thought there would be more people commenting on this ...or at least have something to say about it or share their own thoughts on the matter.

However you want to say it.

I am kind of surprised and in some way disappointed about my own finding / conclusion.

I really thought the 130mm saw would be far superior to the 111mm saw. Especially as they have been praised the way they have by reviewers ever where. But I guess like with everything else; you don’t know anything for certain until you test it out yourself.

The same principle applies to the IT and Automotive world, so of course the MT / tool world is no different

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 10:33:06 AM
I don't have a 130mm, but I have used the 111mm to cut through the odd branch, stick, or piece of fibreboard.

I suppose in the circumstances it was "adequate"

In any case, were these two designs not originally made to compete in the same market, so there shouldn't be too much between them...

I remember when the OHT came out, Def was gaga for it, (an enthusiasm that was infectious, and I ended up getting one from felinevet....) and the Wenger Ranger line had it's own cult following as well. At the time I believe it mostly came down to a matter of personal taste - possibly as time has gone on, and the 111mm line has only had minor changes (moving to linerlock for everything, for example), but the 130 line as evolved a few times, then, if it came to choosing between two on the shelf then maybe the 130s are a better choice...

Rambling a bit - does anyone know off hand (or remember, or vaguely recall quotes) as to why, when our favourite swiss marques went into larger locking pocket knives, they selected the sizes that they did?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 04:30:07 PM
It's been a few years since I last owned a Large Swiss knife with a saw. I had 120mm and 130mm with saws, but never a 111mm with a saw. As I recall, the saws were thicker than the 91mm, so any advantage through having a longer saw, was lost against having to remove more material. That said, the longer saw did handle thicker branches better.

I got rid of mine, as I didn't like having to carry the much larger framed knives just for the saw. If I want a large saw, I'll grab the Bahco Laplander, just like if I want a larger blade than a 91mm, I'll grab a fixed blade.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD