Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mono/ Binoculars?

LOWW · 5 · 4237

Offline LOWW

Mono/ Binoculars?
on: June 24, 2018, 04:29:27 PM
Hi
I like to travel around in Europe and there is somethings who suck a lot. Its when I have to change the (Long-distance) Bus, Tram, Subway,... and find the next connection.
Sometime the are just 5Minutes to catch the next Bus or I had to wait 2h or more to get the next one :ahhh and it can get even worse when I am in an area who is not that touristy the Bus Stop play hide and seek.  :facepalm:
So I am looking for some Mono/ Binoculars. I know Zeiss for there Lens.
How about there Mono/ Binoculars?
https://www.zeiss.de/sports-optics/de_de/natur/fernglaeser/monokulare.html#modelle

What kind of magnification do I need?
For the size the MiniQuick 5x10 T* look good.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Mono/ Binoculars?
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:08:13 PM
I'm also looking for some new Mono/Binoculars, so here is what I have so far.

- There is no substitute to trying them out yourself, just go to a store. I found that some highly praised brands don't work to well for me.
- Small lenses (like in the MiniQuick) are less ideal in low light conditions (a 10mm lens collects roughly 30% less light when compared to a 12mm lens). They are also harder to use while wearing glasses.
- Less is sometimes more. Its a lot easier to hold a 4x monocular steady than a 10x, so depending on the use it might be better to go with lower magnification.
- Binoculars are better unless you have very uneven eyes. E.g. if you can barely read something with a 4x binocular, you won't be able to read it with a 4x monocular. But they are also bulkier.

I'm thinking about getting the Mono 4x12 T* for light carrying but also get binoculars. Not that far with my binocular decision but I'm also steering towards less magnification along the line of 8x42...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Offline LOWW

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 05:34:18 PM
You are right! I wear Glasses and need to see something when it going dark.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 05:49:19 PM
Bino/mono’s are not my thing, besides that they bring whatever closer, ones got two and one only got one, and the higher the number the closer it brings it? I have both,two of the monos, there a nice “little” thing to have, they don’t take up much space so for an edc shoved in a small pocket and all of a sudden there’s something that interests you, nice! But if it’s going to be something that’s going to be used every day or even a couple times a week binoculars would be better, closing one eye and focusing on the other isn’t great. If size is a problem they do make small binoculars!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 10:13:06 PM
I thought of something and fig why not, so I took the binoculars and the one monocular I could find and put them up to the iPad, not the best of pics sorry, believe it or not I paid more for the mono, which was like $5, the binoculars I only paid $2 but at a yard sale, brand new I think they went for $45, so to compare they do the same but the more expensive do a more clear, like the others do more of a eagle eye type deal, I’m also shooting through a screen, again sorry just thought you’d want to see the diff between a cheap/brand name,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%