Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who would win?

Poll

If the Empire invaded the Federation, could the Enterprise destroy the Death Star?

Enterprise would win
24 (52.2%)
Death Star would win
22 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Who would win?
Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 07:28:10 PM
If the Death Star's main gun can destroy planets what chance has the Enterprises' shields?

Even the old Enterprise has faced planet killers several times, and won; "Dooms Day Machine" (planet eating cornucopia) and "Balance of Terror" (first time they see the Romulan's new toy), not counting the B,C,D,E ships! :twak:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 07:37:17 PM
Well the question is "Could the Enterprise destroy the Death Star?" Possibly, however, they may possibly be destroyed too. Does the Enterprise even have defenses against the hordes of Tie Fighters, Bombers and Interceptors that would be involved too?

Of course this begs the bigger question, what happens in a war between the Federation and the Galactic Empire.

Let's think about this.

The REAL power of the Empire is in its Star Destroyers and Super Star Destroyers, the Death Star is primarily a terror weapon. There's no way in hell a Federation star ship could even come close to even hurting a run of the mill Star Destroyer. It's slower, has less guns, is almost 1/3 the size and carries no small one man fighting ships. And the Empire has tens of thousands of them. They have more warships than the Federation has planets.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 07:39:41 PM
OK, so here is an interesting scenario;

A Star Destroyer is more than five times longer than Kirk's Enterprise (and two-and-a-half times longer than Picard's Enterprise). So if size is anything to go by, the Enterprise stands little chance in a frontal assault.

However, the Federation has more advanced technology in some respects-- notably, transporter technology-- and if the Enterprise crew can draw upon their much more extensive mission experience, the situation is much more hopeful. For example: Kirk, Spock, and McCoy inject themselves with hefty doses of kironide, the chemical that gives psychokinetic powers (Plato's Stepchildren), then transport directly to the bridge of the Star Destroyer to confront Darth Vader on an equal telekinetic footing. They stun Vader with phasers set on wide dispersion (so he can't block them with his light saber), then take him back to the Enterprise. Before he wakes up they use the transporter to split Vader into his good and evil halves (The Enemy Within). The evil Vader is kept under sedation while the good one tells them everything they need to know to overthrow the Empire. Then the Enterprise uses a slingshot orbit around the nearest sun in order to go back in time (The Voyage Home, et al.) and prevent the fall of the Old Republic. The End.

Taken from here;
http://rjmason.com/ramblings/starTrekVsStarWars.html

I still think Vader would death strangle Kirk while on screen.  :tu:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 08:00:15 PM
Nice scenario but highly dependent on luck. 20000 Star Destroyers overwhelming Federation Space is a lot less dependent on luck.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

Flash

Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 08:08:50 PM
I repeat for those that obviously did not hear me: :twak:

ahem...cough cough...

"With James Tiberius Kirk at the helm the Enterprise can achieve ANYTHING  :salute:"

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 08:15:27 PM
the Death Star was made as a "fear weapon" not a true battleship.
also the Empire is a space bully, only going after weak, unsuspecting,
antiquated opponents.

while the Federation has battled countless war hungry foes,
in many dimensions, time zones, and often vastly superior!

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 25, 2008, 08:23:53 PM
SCENE: Space
The Enterprise sits stationary in space.
The Death Star dwarfs the small vessel.

SCENE: Enterprise Bridge
Spock:  "The object appears to be a man-made construct.
         It is roughly  the size of a small moon.
         They do have some primitive technology."
Kirk:   "We should beam over and investigate.
Sulu:   "What about the prime directive, Captain?"
Kirk:   "The what?"
Sulu (under breath): "Idiot."
Kirk:   "Ok, all of you bridge crew... except you Uhura...
         get ready to beam over."
Uhura (under breath): "Chauvinist pig."

On the way to the transporter room, Kirk stops off at the RedShirt
holding pen and selects one unlucky RedShirt to accompany the brigde
crew onto the small metal planetoid.

SCENE: Death Star Hallway
Six forms materialize.  Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Mr. Sulu, Mr. Chekov,
Bones and the RedShirt appear, phasers out and ready. Closeup on Redshirt's
face reveals beads of sweat on his forehead.  Eight Stormtroopers round
the corner.

ST#1: "There are the intruders.  Blast 'em!"

All eight Stormtroopers open fire. All eight hit the RedShirt.
The Enterprise's bridge crew return fire, obliterating the Stormtroopers.

Kirk: "That wasn't so tough. My shirt didn't even get ripped."
Bones (kneeling over RedShirt's body): "He's dead, Jim."
Kirk: "Who?"
Bones: "Ensign... whatsizname?  The RedShirt."
Kirk: "Oh! Him!  Yeah, well... we have more."

A doorway at the end of the hall slides open. The omnimous form of
Darth Vader fills the doorway.  He is flanked by two Stormtroopers.

Kirk (to crew): "Oh good!  Another bad guy!"
Kirk (to Vader): "We come in peace!"
Kirk (to crew): "Phasers on kill!"

The Enterprise's bridge crew open fire, concentrating on Vader.
Vader raises his hand and dissipates the energy of the phaser beams.

Spock: "Our phasers seem to have no effect on him, Captain."
Kirk: "We'll just have to take him out in hand to hand.  Use your nerve pinch."

Spock advances on Vader, makes it about three feet then turns to Kirk.

Spock (strained voice): "Captain, I am experiencing a bizarre lack of oxygen.
                         I believe this entity is..."

Spock keels over. Kirk has one of his infamous melodramatic moments,
yelling something unintelligible. Kirk charges Vader. There is a
brilliant red-white flash visual effect accompanied by a snap-hiss sound effect.
Kirk falls down, in two entirely separate directions, then dissolves.
His shirt is ripped, but it's too late to save him. Closeup on each of
the Enterprise's bridge crew exchanging amazed looks.
(Sulu doesn't look entirely displeased.)

Sulu (into communicator): "Scotty, beam us up!"
Sulu (to no-one in particular): "I've always wanted to say that."

The remaining bridge crew dematerialize.  Vader kicks Kirks clothes on his
way back to the Death Star's command room.

SCENE: Enterprise Bridge
The bridge crew race to their positions. Sulu assumes command and sits
in the comfy chair.

SCENE: Death Star Command Room
Grand Moff Tarkin stands looking thoughtfully at a large display screen.
Vader stands nearby.

Tarkin (to DS gunnery crew): "You may fire when ready."

Gunnery crew members start pulling levers and pushing buttons.

SCENE: Enterprise bridge
Chekov: "They zeem to be powering up zome zort of energy veapon!"

SCENE: Death Star Innards
Two precariously placed, unlucky DS crew members cower as a brilliant
beam of energy streaks past them down a long tunnel.

SCENE: Enterprise bridge
Sulu (yelling): "SHIELDS!"

SCENE: Space
Several small beams of energy fuse into one really big one. The beam
strikes the Enterprise. Nifty explosion visual effect.

SCENE: DS Command Center
Tarkin <to Vader>: "Well that wasn't so tough."
Vader: "We lost eight Stormtroopers."
Tarkin: "Well, we have more."

FADE OUT.

This is funny.....................

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: November 25, 2008, 08:46:27 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: fantastic Sir! :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 08:52:26 PM
"With James Tiberius Kirk at the helm the Enterprise can achieve ANYTHING
Pfft. What's he gonna do, screw Darth Vader to death?

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 08:54:17 PM
And here is the number one reason why the Empire would win;

:crash:

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #40 on: November 25, 2008, 09:15:27 PM
And here is the number one reason why the Empire would win;

:crash:

Dud...................We all know that they use Linux
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 09:22:11 PM
For some reason I could not vote but I got to go with the Deathstar. It really is just a badass piece of kit, plus they allways have cool gismos on it. Comeon what does kirk have Tribbles.
S

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 12:25:47 AM
 :think: :think: :think: :think:

Correct me if I'm wrong , but wasn't the "Borg Cube" the same size as the death Star?

And the Enterprise took 2 cubes??
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #43 on: November 26, 2008, 12:27:23 AM
Yah but Star Trek is fake, and Star wars is real!!!
S

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #44 on: November 26, 2008, 12:40:25 AM
He got tribbles from the green chick, but Bones says he has a cream for that....

In this scenario:

However, the Federation has more advanced technology in some respects-- notably, transporter technology-- and if the Enterprise crew can draw upon their much more extensive mission experience, the situation is much more hopeful. For example: Kirk, Spock, and McCoy inject themselves with hefty doses of kironide, the chemical that gives psychokinetic powers (Plato's Stepchildren), then transport directly to the bridge of the Star Destroyer to confront Darth Vader on an equal telekinetic footing. They stun Vader with phasers set on wide dispersion (so he can't block them with his light saber), then take him back to the Enterprise. Before he wakes up they use the transporter to split Vader into his good and evil halves (The Enemy Within). The evil Vader is kept under sedation while the good one tells them everything they need to know to overthrow the Empire. Then the Enterprise uses a slingshot orbit around the nearest sun in order to go back in time (The Voyage Home, et al.) and prevent the fall of the Old Republic. The End.

Vader can absorb incoming energy... I doubt he'd need to try and catch the beams on his lightsaber.  And, Luke managed to hold off numerous beams from different sources on Jabba's sail barge, so there's no reason to believe that if Vader wanted lightsaber practice he couldn't have managed it too.

I think that head to head the Enterprise guys make a good point- the Death Star's shortcomings could be overwhelmed by the superior speed and maneuverability of the Enterprise.  However, the Death Star isn't dependent on it's main guns, it also has many smaller fixed turbolaser towers, and many TIE fighters.  The Enterprise has proven on numerous occasions that they are incapable of dealing with multiple enemies at once.  They seem to have trouble with three enemy ships- imagine thousands of TIE fighters swarming them!  Maybe each TIE fighter could be dispatched with a single phaser shot, I doubt the Enterprise could fire that quickly in that many directions and would be overwhelmed.

Remember, a Super Star Destroyer, a ship 5 miles long, crashed into the surface of the second Death Star and didn't destroy it.  I doubt the Enterprise could muster up that much firepower.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #45 on: November 26, 2008, 12:46:39 AM
Yah but the Death star has a bunch of guys and teams manning the guns, where as the Enerprise only has one guy.

Holy crap we are all geeks!!!!!!!
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #46 on: November 26, 2008, 12:50:32 AM
Yah but the Death star has a bunch of guys and teams manning the guns, where as the Enerprise only has one guy.

Holy crap we are all geeks!!!!!!!

I am soooooooooooooooo glad someone else said that!!!  :D :D
I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #47 on: November 26, 2008, 12:57:15 AM
Ya know ben here we all are manly guys. Cops Truckdrivers bikers, longshoremen and factory workers debating the Si Fi world. We are tools.
S

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #48 on: November 26, 2008, 01:34:58 AM
From Wikipedia:

Photon torpedoes
Photon torpedoes are a standard ship-based weapon armed with an antimatter warhead. They are present in every version of the Star Trek series and are a standard weapon on almost every Federation ship, though in Star Trek: Enterprise the titular ship uses less powerful spatial torpedoes until receiving the more powerful "photonic" (as the characters describe them) variant. Photon torpedoes first appear on a Starfleet ship in the original series' episode "Arena" as part of the USS Enterprise's armament — in the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "The Expanse", the NX-01 Enterprise first receives photon torpedoes. Smaller Starfleet craft such as shuttlecraft and Runabouts can be armed with "micro-torpedoes", a scaled-down version of photon torpedoes designed for use on craft too small to accommodate the full-sized weapon.
When fired, photon torpedoes usually appear as a spiky ball of energy of varying colors, such as red,[17] orange,[18] yellow, blue, or green.[19] The energy output of a photon torpedo, according to the Technical Manuals is a maximum theoretical yield of 25 Isotons and a maximum rated yield of 18.5 Isotons. According to the TNG Technical Manual, photon torpedoes use 1.5kg of matter and 1.5kg of antimatter. The resulting energy output would be 2.70x1017Joules of energy (by the well-known formula E=mc2). This amount of energy release would be equivalent to a 64.4 megaton nuclear explosion.
Torpedoes are often depicted as being easy to modify to suit specific situations. Despite the stated maximum yield, torpedoes can apparently be made far more destructive with relatively little effort. In Star Trek: Voyager, Tuvok and Kim modify a normal photon torpedo with a gravimetric charge, similar to that of Borg technology, and increase its destructive yield to 54 isotons. Kim comments that 50 isotons would have been sufficient to destroy a small planet. Moments later, Janeway instructs them to increase its yield even further, to 80 isotons. It is not specified exactly how they modified the warhead, but it only requires a few hours to complete the work and uses materials readily available on Voyager. In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Spock and Dr. McCoy modify a photon torpedo to track the plasma emissions (a futuristic version of the heat-seeking missile) from a cloaked Klingon Bird of Prey as it attacks the Enterprise and the Excelsior.

Like I said, the Star Trek folks can fix any problem with a little remodulation or polarity reversing! Say good bye Darth. :salute:

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #49 on: November 26, 2008, 01:41:10 AM
However, the Death Star isn't dependent on it's main guns, it also has many smaller fixed turbolaser towers, and many TIE fighters.  The Enterprise has proven on numerous occasions that they are incapable of dealing with multiple enemies at once.  They seem to have trouble with three enemy ships- imagine thousands of TIE fighters swarming them!  Maybe each TIE fighter could be dispatched with a single phaser shot, I doubt the Enterprise could fire that quickly in that many directions and would be overwhelmed.

Remember, a Super Star Destroyer, a ship 5 miles long, crashed into the surface of the second Death Star and didn't destroy it.  I doubt the Enterprise could muster up that much firepower.

Def

I remember an episode where an alien race had star-ships/battle ships and they had various lasers and turbo's and the Enterprise scanned it and determined it was not a threat, that the shields could withstand it. Also the Enterprise has shuttle bays which could
house Federation fighters.

I think even George Lucas hated the Super-Star-Destroyer crashing into the Death Star and thought it was "poor"!  :P

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:59:57 AM by WhichDawg »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: November 26, 2008, 02:33:15 AM
I'm sure the crew of the Super Star Destroyer wasn't all that thrilled with it either....

For the record, anti matter obviation is equivalent to the amount of antimatter present... which means that 4 pounds of antimatter can really only destroy 4 pounds of matter.  So, unless they happen to have a planet sized lump of antimatter, I doubt it would really be much of a threat....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: November 26, 2008, 02:37:54 AM
Maybe Kirk could call in the Starship Troopers?

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #52 on: November 26, 2008, 02:45:27 AM
Just to make sure we're on the same frequency.  Which Enterprise ??

Constitution Class NCC-1701(Christopher Pike,James T. Kirk)
Constitution/Tiho Class(modernization-refit)NCC-1701A(James T. Kirk)
Galaxy Class NCC-1701D(Jean Luc Picard)
Endeavor Class NCC-1701E(Jean Luc Picard)
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: November 26, 2008, 02:49:46 AM
It wouldn't matter- none of them are capable of tracking/targeting and destroying thousands of targets in time.  It would be like being swarmed by fire ants....

Def

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #54 on: November 26, 2008, 05:07:13 AM
For the record, anti matter obviation is equivalent to the amount of antimatter present... which means that 4 pounds of antimatter can really only destroy 4 pounds of matter.  So, unless they happen to have a planet sized lump of antimatter, I doubt it would really be much of a threat....
Yeah, but it's all the energy released during the reaction that does the destruction. E=mc2 and all that. :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #55 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31:24 AM
It wouldn't matter- none of them are capable of tracking/targeting and destroying thousands of targets in time.  It would be like being swarmed by fire ants....

Def

Apparently

"Against the sentry pods in "Conundrum", the Enterprise phaser arrays were used in a peculiar fashion. Normally, we can see the array energize at both endpoints and a beam erupt where the energy meets, but in this case the array energized and a large number of smaller beams were used. This suggests that phaser arrays may be commonly used in such a manner in the event of numerous small weak targets."

According to this page
http://www.st-v-sw.net/BoB/bobSTSWcompare.html

So they might be able to deal with the Tie's after all :think: And their range is apprently superior too so if the shields were down on the Death Star they should be able to take out the Turbolasers and Ion Cannons with out too much difficulty :think:
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #56 on: November 26, 2008, 07:07:40 PM
Just to make sure we're on the same frequency.  Which Enterprise ??

Constitution Class NCC-1701(Christopher Pike,James T. Kirk)
Constitution/Tiho Class(modernization-refit)NCC-1701A(James T. Kirk)
Galaxy Class NCC-1701D(Jean Luc Picard)
Endeavor Class NCC-1701E(Jean Luc Picard)

OH DEAR!!  :D
I'm back!!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #57 on: November 26, 2008, 10:08:42 PM
it's clear that Starbuck and a viper could take them all...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #58 on: November 26, 2008, 10:23:57 PM
it's clear that Starbuck and a viper could take them all...
Ah but which Starbuck ??? :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: November 26, 2008, 10:34:08 PM
OK, how about another version? Darth Lister and crew take over the universe!  :pok:  :pok:  :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%