Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you choose your EDC?

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Re: How do you choose your EDC?
Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 05:51:31 PM
This question:

Do you carry only what you need, or carry some just in case stuff?

For me the answer and reaction of the normal population is :  :facepalm:

I really have to stop running what if scenarios through my head before I turn in to some kind of Batman without all the martial arts skills...  :ahhh

No, seriously, It is a disease! And to think that I was almost normal before I met you guys...

:D

Have you noticed how they go from  :facepalm: to :dd: when something happens and they need one of our knives/tools/flashlights/lighters/paracord/ducttape/MREs/band-aids/pills/water purifying tabs?

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Well, not really. The last time I helped someone with a band aid his reaction was what the hell do you have this for?!?! He actually asked me this right as I was applying the said band aid to his cut.  :rofl:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 05:56:47 PM
This question:

For me the answer and reaction of the normal population is :  :facepalm:

I really have to stop running what if scenarios through my head before I turn in to some kind of Batman without all the martial arts skills...  :ahhh

No, seriously, It is a disease! And to think that I was almost normal before I met you guys...

:D

Have you noticed how they go from  :facepalm: to :dd: when something happens and they need one of our knives/tools/flashlights/lighters/paracord/ducttape/MREs/band-aids/pills/water purifying tabs?

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Well, not really. The last time I helped someone with a band aid his reaction was what the hell do you have this for?!?! He actually asked me this right as I was applying the said band aid to his cut.  :rofl:

:megaslap:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 06:27:46 PM
I did try that. But they keep coming back...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

pt Online pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 06:30:49 PM
I did try that. But they keep coming back...  :D

"Help! I need a <something we awl carry as EDC>! Wait... you got it?! That's stupid!"

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #34 on: September 03, 2018, 07:57:51 AM

So, the question is how do you decide what goes into your EDC?

Is it strictly utility or do you have some stuff that more like pocket jewelry?

Do you pick based on price?

Or any other criteria you use to choose?

Price of an item figures into the over-all equation, some items are more-expensive, merely based-on it's intended purpose.  For example:  I have a gun-belt from Ares Gear that runs around $100 USD, because it works as advertised.  I have a titanium, bottle-opener on my key-ring, which is a novelty-item, yet it works.

Since I'm licensed, a North American Arms .380 ACP pistol is part of my EDC, along with an extra magazine.  My wallet is a Spec Ops Wallet Jr.; probably one of the best you can get for under forty-bucks, with plenty of cargo room for glass wipes, and few band-aids.  Usually, I carry two-blades a Swiss Army, and self-defense main blade like a SOG, or Zero Tolerance.  I never skimp on knives, and try to buy the best their are, in a particular-class.  Usually, a small Fenix torch all-the-time.  I have added an Exotac survival-lighter to my kit for added insurance, and a match-safe at times.  At work, I carried a Paladin Tool in conjunction with IT duties.

Watches are part of my EDC, both automatics, and quartz movements.  I prefer diver's, and mil-spec models.

I prefer the Tuff-Writer Operator-series black tactical pen, which uses Fisher Space Pen refills.

I will research an item vigorously, and it's track-record of performance.  Equipment should serve a purpose, and not be useless weight.  It should be reliable, ergonomic, useful in any emergency situation.       
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:20:54 AM by eTripper »
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: September 03, 2018, 12:45:28 PM
My carry options have evolved over many years. Everything I own is tried and tested, not just as regards individual items but as pairings and combos. A lot of them are not easily replaceable, either due to being modified or discontinued. As each combo develops, it tends to fall into certain "categories". Some of these combos are quite rigid, and others are fairly flexible. My MP426 works with pretty much any non-locking knife, but my Spirit only gets carried with a Swiss knife that has a Phillips. The TurboDiesel pairs best with a pocket clipped OHO slippie, and the KF4 and Climber Small are inseparable.

I have two outdoors combos (both colour coordinated), a large comprehensive combo for bag or gillet carry, and a smaller pocketable one. Same for travel. I have lightweight combos for formal occasions or just when pocket space is limited. I have urban pairings, and a toolbag combo too. If tools don't excel (for me) in any of those categories, they get tried in another, and it's survival of the fittest. The best stays, and the rest gets moved on. I tend to have at least two options in each category, one that's fully loaded, and another that's more pocket friendly.

This isn't just for knives, pliers and drivers. I have a small light on my keys and another on a neck lanyard, but I also have two larger pocket carry options too, plus dedicated lights for certain combos. Some combos have pens, and others rely on me adding one as necessary. Beyond that, the circumstances of the day ahead dictate what is needed. It's akin to checking the weather before deciding which coat/jacket to wear.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD